Red means love, yellow-friendship

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
what will Blue signify?

nrose23.jpg

Roses come in many colours - from pink to yellow, peach and red - but, until now, no one has found a way to create a natural blue rose and the quest has acquired an almost mystical significance among breeders.

It is the "Holy Grail" of horticulture and soon it could make the perfect present for Mother's Day: scientists have found a way to produce a blue rose.

A chance discovery in a laboratory means that they will be able to create the blue rose "within a year" and it is expected to go on sale to the public soon after that.

The discovery was made by chance by two biochemists conducting research into drugs for cancer and Alzheimer's in a medical laboratory at Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee.

News Telegraph

Ms Ann Thrope

That's really exciting news. I have a few rose bushes, and a climber. I've found the hybrids are tricky to keep healthy, while the heirlooms are sturdier. Wonder if this new "blue" rose will be finicky? Either way, I'll definitely keep an eye out for them. :)

catocom

LOL, I though this thread was going to be about those different colored
bracelets the teens are wearing these days. :lol2:

chcr

Too cute for words
Gonz said:
what will Blue signify?
Duh Daah duh dunh
Well my woman she left me,
Duh Daah duh dunh
Made me oh so sad
Duh Daah duh dunh
Nothin' left but these blue rose blues and this letter from her dad...:lloyd:

BlurOfSerenity

yes, anything not occurring in nature, maybe?! :p

i hate blue roses, but mostly because too many people dont know that they dont naturally exist. it pisses me offffff...

i'm looking for a picture i took when i had all my braceletes... i dont think i'll be able to access it tho, it's in a filder my comp hasnt let me into for a long time. :(

BlurOfSerenity

catocom said:
LOL, I though this thread was going to be about those different colored
bracelets the teens are wearing these days. :lol2:

we're going to pretend this is a picture large enough to be visible, and not just a screenshot of the file thumbnail.

Inkara1

I thought you were talking about those sex bracelets. Break a red one, love, break a yellow one, friendship, break an orange one, oral sex, a black one, intercourse, and so on.

BlurOfSerenity

when word about that came out, even tho i'd had my bracelets off for a year, i put back on all the ones i could still find.
reason being that when people asked me if i were a participant in this sex bracelet game (called "snap"), i could set the record straight and maybe make them see that a lot of the time (really, almost of the time probably), this popular fashion accessory has nothing to do with sexual promiscuity.

-- ash r : changing the world in little ways, one day at a time.

Camelyn

ash r said:
when word about that came out, even tho i'd had my bracelets off for a year, i put back on all the ones i could still find.
reason being that when people asked me if i were a participant in this sex bracelet game (called "snap"), i could set the record straight and maybe make them see that a lot of the time (really, almost of the time probably), this popular fashion accessory has nothing to do with sexual promiscuity.

-- ash r : changing the world in little ways, one day at a time.

I have absolutely no idea what in the world you are talking about......

Cam
feeling all old and shit :(

Professur

The discovery was made by chance by two biochemists conducting research into drugs for cancer and Alzheimer's in a medical laboratory at Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee.

Noone's gonna comment on this? These assholes were being paid to cure cancer, not invent mother's day presents, damnit. Exactly how far off track do we let these fuckers go? Last time I checked, the colour of the flowers on the wreath on a casket doesn't go far in changing the fact that the occupant died because his spleen rotted out.

A.B.Normal

Camelyn said:
I have absolutely no idea what in the world you are talking about......

Cam
feeling all old and shit :(
Don't feel bad ,I had know idea what it was about either ,thats why I thought it interesting that Ash even knew it was called "snap" *suspicious look*

Professur said:
Noone's gonna comment on this? These assholes were being paid to cure cancer, not invent mother's day presents, damnit. Exactly how far off track do we let these fuckers go? Last time I checked, the colour of the flowers on the wreath on a casket doesn't go far in changing the fact that the occupant died because his spleen rotted out.

I was wondering about that too,how many other tangents have they wandered after instead of remaining on track.

MrBishop

Professur said:
OK...let me spell it out for you. The chemical that they're studying is called 'delphinidin'. It's a chemical which is believed to have beneficial effects on cancer and Althheimers disease. It's also a chemical which tends to turn things blue (taken from the blueberry fruit). One of these scientists must've gotten bored one day and put some in his potted plant.

No harm, no foul.

OBJECTIVE: Epidemiologic studies have shown that a diet rich in fruits and vegetables has a beneficial preventive effect for cancer and cardiovascular diseases. The mechanisms of these beneficial effects are not known although there is evidence that polyphenolic compounds in food may be of some benefit. The purpose of this study was to define the effect of delphinidin, a vasoactive polyphenol belonging to the class of anthocyanin, on endothelial cell proliferation and migration as well as on in vivo angiogenesis. METHODS AND RESULTS: Vascular endothelial growth factor-stimulated human umbilical endothelial cell migration and proliferation are potently inhibited by delphinidin. Flow cytometric analysis demonstrates that delphinidin inhibition of proliferation is correlated with the blockade of cell cycle in G(0)/G(1) phase. Western blot analysis shows that delphinidin reverses the vascular endothelial growth factor-induced decrease in expression of cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p27(kip1) and the vascular endothelial growth factor-induced increase of cyclin D1 and cyclin A, both being necessary to achieve the G(1)-to-S transition. Furthermore, delphinidin inhibits neovascularisation in vivo in chorioallantoic membrane model. CONCLUSION: Delphinidin overcomes in vitro and in vivo angiogenesis and thus appears promising for the development of an anti-angiogenic therapy.