Republicans introduced a very similar healthcare bill in '93

spike

In November, 1993, Sen. John Chafee, R-R.I., introduced what was considered to be the main Republican health overhaul proposal: "A bill to provide comprehensive reform of the health care system of the United States."

Titled the "Health Equity and Access Reform Today Act of 1993," it had 21 co-sponsors, including two Democrats (Sens. Boren and Kerrey). The bill, which was not debated or voted upon, was an alternative to President Bill Clinton's plan. It bears similarity to the Democratic bill passed by the Senate Dec. 24, 2009, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.

Here is a summary of the 1993 bill:

Makes you wonder why they're so outraged at the current bill. Partisan bickering?

Professur

Makes me wonder why the Dems didn't support it then ... if it's so similar. Perhaps because being the ones to have their party name attached was more important than any benefit you'll ever see?

The end issue is simply .. something this drastic really should have been put to the people in a referendum. Claiming Mandate is an old, tired excuse ... particularly when so many other campaign promises have been left to wallow.

valkyrie

Makes me wonder why the Dems didn't support it then ... if it's so similar. Perhaps because being the ones to have their party name attached was more important than any benefit you'll ever see?

The end issue is simply .. something this drastic really should have been put to the people in a referendum. Claiming Mandate is an old, tired excuse ... particularly when so many other campaign promises have been left to wallow.
I think it didn't pass the first time (as a Republican bill) because there was hope that something better would get through. It didn't.

Now we have this bill that many of us do not like at all. Whether it will stand or be found unconstitutional is up to the judicial branch because many states were poised to bring it to court. Funny though... the stand they're taking is the one that was taken out to satisfy the Republicans (forcing citizens to buy a product, by law, and offering no public option as an alternative).

This Health Care bill/law has taken up all of the current presidential term. There's been no time for anything else.

Professur

Would it not have been easier to just enforce the already expansive anti-discriminatory and anti-competition laws?

valkyrie

Would it not have been easier to just enforce the already expansive anti-discriminatory and anti-competition laws?
Insurance companies were excluded. What we need is a law that allows competition, regulates rates and requires insurance companies to accept everyone regardless of "pre-existing conditions".

There was a time when there were insurance companies that were not-for-profit. Their mission was to provide low cost health coverage for all Americans.

Professur

Insurance companies were excluded. What we need is a law that allows competition, regulates rates and requires insurance companies to accept everyone regardless of "pre-existing conditions".

There was a time when there were insurance companies that were not-for-profit. Their mission was to provide low cost health coverage for all Americans.

Val, Look up Knights of Columbus insurance. It'll be interesting to hear how this new legislation will affect them.

MrBishop

That'd be life insurance, not medical insurance. Though they do touch on the 'long-term care' aspect, health insurance ain't their thing.

Professur

My point was that they operate a certain way. There's nothing to stop anyone from starting their own insurance co-op and managing it in any way they choose.

MrBishop

Only money...and lots of it. There are already a few co-ops out there including Group Health and Blueshield. The KoC could try and create their own Health Insurance plan..mostly because they have the money in place to do so..but unless you DO have the money, you're S.o.L

Maybe the effect will be to wake up someone in the KOC to bring it up at the next round table meeting.

valkyrie

You beat me to it, Bish!

And more...
Why are insurance companies allowed to pay for health care at a huge discount and the common citizen off the street pays full price for a doctor visit (or a prescription, etc.)? I have to pay the day I see the doctor but the insurance company can drag out the payment for 6 months and then tell the doctor, "this is all we want to pay for that procedure, take it or leave it."

I would never be allowed to pay my bill like that.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
What we need is a law that requires insurance companies to accept everyone regardless of "pre-existing conditions".

You do understand that has already happened, on a limited basis. (6-month limit) It's part of the reason insurance is so expensive. That and requiring them to cover procedures & medication.

Wanna lower healthcare costs? Kill Mediare & Medicaid, then pay cash for you routine visits.

catocom

You do understand that has already happened, on a limited basis. (6-month limit) It's part of the reason insurance is so expensive. That and requiring them to cover procedures & medication.

Wanna lower healthcare costs? Kill Mediare & Medicaid, then pay cash for you routine visits.

I'm on Mdicare, and I could get behind this Idea.
Also if and ins. co. wanted of offer me a decent rate for catastrofic,
I'd jump on that.
I'm fairly healthy, and just quit smoking cigs.:glasses:

I think insurance companies would have an easier time insuring more people,
if they could get the proper information, and somehow get a hospital track record.

valkyrie

What happens to those who don't have the cash? We will all have to pay anyway. I don't see dropping coverage for the elderly as an answer.

valkyrie

Odd, I thought the Repubbies never tried to fix health care. huh, I wonder who stood in the way of "progress?"
I love how you used the word "progress". Did you know that the Republican Party was once known to be the progressive party? In fact the Progressive Party of 1912 was a split off from the Republican Party when the Republican Party began swinging too far to the Right.

"To destroy this invisible Government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day." - 1912 Progressive Party Platform, attributed to Theodore Roosevelt[1] and quoted again in his autobiography[2] where he connects Trusts and monopolies (sugar interests, Standard Oil, etc.) to Woodrow Wilson and William Howard Taft, and consequently both major political parties.
Taken from Wikipedia...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_Party_(United_States,_1912)
... but you can find that quote elsewhere.

[Paul_Harvey]And now you know... the rest of the story [/Paul_Harvey]
:biggrin:

spike

Odd, I thought the Repubbies never tried to fix health care. huh, I wonder who stood in the way of "progress?"

Who told you the Repubbies never tried to fix healthcare? Nixon even tried but resigned before anything was done.

It is interesting to see the Repubbies acting like the sky is falling now even though the bill is similar to what they proposed awhile back.