Revocation of medals adds insult to injuries

AllEars'

The story of Marine Staff Sgt. Robert Arellano's wound is not exactly heroic. He was sitting in a tent in southern Iraq when the 9mm handgun he was repairing went off, sending a bullet through his left leg.

That's why his heart sank in spring 2003, when he heard that he would receive the Purple Heart as he recovered at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda.

Protests to superior officers were brushed aside.

"I told them I didn't think I deserved it," said Arellano, 38, of Oceanside, Calif. The thought of wearing a medal he didn't earn "was eating me alive."

Then a letter arrived two months ago making things even worse. The Purple Heart pinned on him nearly two years earlier had been "an administrative error" because his wound was not "caused directly or indirectly by enemy action." Ten other Marines who sustained noncombat injuries got the same news, from the office of the commandant of the Marine Corps.

Source

----------
I could understand this type of mistake happening to 1 but 11?? :confused:

Professur

I don't see a problem. I didn't deserve it. He admitted he didn't deserve it. And now, the military agrees. Seems fine to me.

AllEars'

Did you read the whole story?

How could they have made this mistake with 11 people. I'm sorry you don't give a medal and then take it away. Before you give it you need to make damn sure you are correct in giving it.

Professur

No, just read what you posted. But if the medals weren't deserved, the soldiers shouldn't have accepted them. They devalued the medals by accepting them.

AllEars'

But, if you tell them you don't deserve it and they still insist on giving it to you, how are you at fault?

Is it not understood in the forces that you do not undermine a higher up the chain then you decisions, you just do it?

Professur

Then treat it like the clerk at the 7-11. If you give her too much money, you don't expect her to bitch when you ask for change back. These guys can quit whining too. Someone up in the offices made a mistake. Their COs made the mistake of filling in the paperwork too. But these guys damn well knew that the medals weren't theirs.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
My heart goes out to him & the other 11 but he clearly didn't earn the Purple Heart.

a. The Purple Heart is awarded in the name of the President of the United States to any member of an Armed Force or any civilian national of the United States who, while serving under competent authority in any capacity with one of the U.S. Armed Services after 5 April 1917, has been wounded or killed, or who has died or may hereafter die after being wounded-

(1) In any action against an enemy of the United States.

(2) In any action with an opposing armed force of a foreign country in which the Armed Forces of the United States are or have been engaged.

(3) While serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party.

(4) As a result of an act of any such enemy of opposing armed forces.

(5) As the result of an act of any hostile foreign force

(6) After 28 March 1973, as a result of an international terrorist attack against the United States or a foreign nation friendly to the United States, recognized as such an attack by the Secretary of the Army, or jointly by the Secretaries of the separate armed services concerned if persons from more than one service are wounded in the attack.

(7) After 28 March 1973, as a result of military operations while serving outside the territory of the United States as part of a peacekeeping force.

b. While clearly an individual decoration, the Purple Heart differs from all other decorations in that an individual is not "recommended" for the decoration; rather he or she is entitled to it upon meeting specific criteria.

(1) A Purple Heart is authorized for the first wound suffered under conditions indicated above, but for each subsequent award an Oak Leaf Cluster will be awarded to be worn on the medal or ribbon. Not more than one award will be made for more than one wound or injury received at the same instant or from the same missile, force, explosion, or agent.

(2) A wound is defined as an injury to any part of the body from an outside force or agent sustained under one or more of the conditions listed above. A physical lesion is not required, however, the wound for which the award is made must have required treatment by a medical officer and records of medical treatment for wounds or injuries received in action must have been made a matter of official record.

(3) When contemplating an award of this decoration, the key issue that commanders must take into consideration is the degree to which the enemy caused the injury. The fact that the proposed recipient was participating in direct or indirect combat operations is a necessary prerequisite, but is not sole justification for award.

(4) Examples of enemy-related injuries which clearly justify award of the Purple Heart are as follows:

(a) Injury caused by enemy bullet, shrapnel, or other projectile created by enemy action.

(b) Injury caused by enemy placed mine or trap.

(c) Injury caused by enemy released chemical, biological, or nuclear agent.

(d) Injury caused by vehicle or aircraft accident resulting from enemy fire.

(e) Concussion injuries caused as a result of enemy generated explosions.

(5) Examples of injuries or wounds which clearly do not qualify for award of the Purple Heart are as follows:

(a) Frostbite or trench foot injuries.

(b) Heat stroke.

(c) Food poisoning not caused by enemy agents.

(d) Chemical, biological, or nuclear agents not released by the enemy.

(e) Battle fatigue.

(f) Disease not directly caused by enemy agents.

(g) Accidents, to include explosive, aircraft, vehicular, and other accidental wounding not related to or caused by enemy action.

(h) Self-inflicted wounds, except when in the heat of battle, and not involving gross negligence.

(i) Post traumatic stressdisorders.

(j) Jump injuries not caused by enemy action.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Kudos to the soldier for clearly stating, before he received the medal, that he did not think he deserved it.

Beauracracy (sp?) at its finest on display, they gave it to him anyway.

The error is found, and corrected. It is sad that now his service record will contain this incident, but in the end it was rectified. He did not put up a fight about it being returned, again to his credit.

I don't think he cheapened the Purple Heart; rather, I think the guy held the award in higher esteem than did the bean counter who issued it in the first place.

As to this gaffe being duplicated ten times more, I submit that it is merely another example of government ineptitude. I can say that; I work for state government. I know they're inept. Oh the examples I could provide...

Three cheers for the soldier in question. Truly a man of principles.

PostCode

Major contributor!
I and about 20 other guys had our Good Conduct medals revoked. No one knew why though. Someone issued orders and all our medals gots revoked. Then about a year later, we all got them reissued, postdated.

None of us had ever done anything wrong. Nobody had any Article 15's or any other disiplinary action brought against them. Everyone was clear. Someone just decided that none of us had earned them according to the time requirment of three years. One medal for every three years of service. So I got mine after 4 years, postdated to three.

That's the Army though. I would imagine that this kind of stuff happens with all branches of the service though.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
(5) Examples of injuries or wounds which clearly do not qualify for award of the Purple Heart are as follows:

(g) Accidents, to include explosive, aircraft, vehicular, and other accidental wounding not related to or caused by enemy action.
Do these unfortunate folks get any other kind of special recognition? That's kind of sad.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Leslie said:
Do these unfortunate folks get any other kind of special recognition? That's kind of sad.

Give somebody a medal for having an accident? :rofl4:

If the accident is fatal, then the surviving family gets $12,000 for burial fees, $250,000 insurance, and a military funeral.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
My thought was more along the lines of being killed because of another person's mistake. There workin your butt off and someone messes up and you're dead. An extra thanks would be kinda nice I'd have thought.

Gato_Solo

Leslie said:
My thought was more along the lines of being killed because of another person's mistake. There workin your butt off and someone messes up and you're dead. An extra thanks would be kinda nice I'd have thought.

Ahhh...I think the term you're looking for is negligent homicide. Of course, this takes into account that the accident happened because somebody was "neglecting to follow established procedure".

chcr

Too cute for words
PostCode said:
So, why exactly was he repairing a loaded gun?

Heh, that's the first thing that crossed my mind. Don'tcha make sure there're on more buwwets??? :lloyd:

Gato_Solo

chcr said:
Heh, that's the first thing that crossed my mind. Don'tcha make sure there're on more buwwets??? :lloyd:

You're supposed to. Which brings me back to "failure to follow established procedure". If that guy had a habit of screw-ups like that, he'd've been charged with 'willful destruction', and drummed out of the corps... :lloyd: