Russia Wants Iraqi Oil Contracts Honored

HeXp£Øi±

Mar 18, 2003

Even if the United States succeeds in its attack against Iraq, Russia wants its major oil contracts in Iraq honored, Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov said March 18. "Russia's oil contracts were developed on a clear legal basis. They are completely legitimate in nature and therefore we expect them to be fulfilled," Ivanov said. Some of Russia's oil companies have been unable to exploit sites due to existing U.N. oil embargoes on Iraq.

http://www.stratfor.com/corporate/sitrep.neo?storyId=211689

Inkara1

Yet more proof of the double standard. Bush gets accused of wanting war for Iraqi oil... and here's a report of Russia wanting it, and reports have already said that France also has a financial stake in Iraqi oil.

Interesting site, BTW.

0027 GMT - Rumors reportedly are circulating Baghdad that President Saddam Hussein's brother, Barazan, was placed under house arrest in one of the presidential palaces that is most likely to be bombed in the coming war. He reportedly suggested to Hussein that he "do the decent thing" and surrender.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
So what's the big problem, after all, you guys say that the oil will remain propery of Iraq, thus the contracts will be honoured, unless of course, the russians assume the same things as i do.

unclehobart

Treaties are with governments, not with the country. New governments aren't under obligations to anyone. Its a clean slate. If the agreement was actually beneficial to the country... then it would be foolish to disregard them.