Sad news...

Squiggy

ThunderDick
from the NYT

Coalition Strike in Afghanistan Kills 9 Children
By CARLOTTA GALL and JOHN H. CUSHMAN, Jr.

Published: December 7, 2003

KABUL, Afghanistan, Sunday, Dec. 7 — United States warplanes attacking a suspected member of the Taliban killed nine children in the southeastern province of Ghazni on Saturday, Afghan and American military officials confirmed Sunday morning. One man was also killed in the attack, they said.

In a statement issued early on Sunday from the headquarters of the American-led military forces at Bagram Air Base near Kabul, the military said ground forces searching the area after the attack found the bodies of the children as well as the body of the suspect.

"Coalition forces regret the loss of any innocent life," the statement said. It said the troops remaining in the area "will make every effort to assist the families of the innocent casualties and determine the cause of the civilian deaths."

The statement said a commission was being set up to investigate the incident. It did not describe the air attack in any detail.

Maj. Christopher E. West, an Army spokesman at Bagram, said the aircraft involved was an A-10 attack jet, a type that flies low and fires guns and rockets in support of infantry. A-10's are frequently in action over Afghanistan.

Haji Masud, an official in the governor's office in Ghazni, confirmed the attack and said it had been aimed at Mullah Wazir, a former member of the Taliban movement. "They bombed Mullah Wazir's house and civilians were also killed," he said in a telephone interview on Sunday morning. He gave no further details and said an official Afghan delegation had gone to the area to investigate.

A spokesman for President Hamid Karzai in Kabul said that when first reports arrived from the region, the American military had denied that the attack occurred. Mr. Karzai has frequently asked the United States military to take greater care with bombing raids on civilian areas and with they intelligence it receives, which has often proved erroneous. There have been hundreds of civilian casualties from bombing raids during the past two years. At least 48 people were killed in July 2002 when American planes fired on a village where a wedding party was in progress.

In another incident, eleven people from one family were killed when a bomb landed on their house near the Pakistani border in Paktika Province. The United States military quickly acknowledged the mistake, saying the attack was aimed at a group of militants whe were trying to escape across the border.

On Oct. 30. American planes bombed a village in the northern province of Nuristan, killing six members of one family, most of them women and children, and two religious students in the village mosque. The military has not yet confirmed that its planes were in the area that night.

In their statement, the United States military said it the targeted man had been involved in the killings of two contractors working on Afghanistan's main highway connecting the capital with the cities of Kandahar and Herat. There have been no reported killings of contractors. Several Afghan security policemen were killed in an attack on the road in September.

An officer at the main headquarters of Central Command in Tampa, which runs the military operations in Afghanistan as well as Iraq and elsewhere in the region, referred questions to the Bagram headquarters.

American and allied forces in Afghanistan "follow stringent rules of engagement to specifically avoid this type of incident while continuing to target terrorists," the statement said.

The aircraft opened fire on the suspect in what whas described as "an isolated rural site" south of the town of Ghazni, the statement said.

The attack came about 10:30 on Saturday morning. Ghazni is about 80 miles southeast of Kabul on the road to Kandahar, the former stronghold of the Taliban movement that governed Afghanistan before the United States and Afghan opposition forces overthrew it two years ago.

The military said the strike on Saturday was carried out "after developing extensive intelligence over an extended period of time" that determined the suspect's whereabouts.

Gotnolegs

Someone tell me again why we're still in Afghanistan? I'm really having trouble with this one...

MrBishop

freako104 said:
i think they are still looking for Bin Laden there but Im not too sure on that myself

That's only part of the problem over there. My brother-n-law's over there and their job is to take down clusters of armed forces still hiding in villages and towns. When the Afghan army was taken down, they broke up into smaller groups. THese groups are still taking action against coalition troops, hospitals, serbs etc...

They have to be taken down like bands of rabid dogs...one by one. That's time consuming.

In addition, all medical help and food shipments have to be protected so that they get to their desired targets, instead of being plundered by militants. There are still riots in the streets to quash, still car-bombs and still rape and murder. It's not an easy job. :(

I just hope that come end of Feb, he'll come back alive and well.

Gotnolegs

I hope so too Bish. Rest assured that whatever my personal feelings on the war itself the troops in the field have my full support.

My problem with this is that I'm no longer sure why we went in in the first place. I originally thought it was because bin-Laden was in hiding there. Taking down the Taliban was a bonus so to speak. Now there is talk of bin-Laden being in Iran so bearing in mind that we have replaced the Taliban why are we still there? Why do people like your Brother in Law have to risk their lives to chase down paramilitary groups in a country on the other side of the world when we let them roam free in countries much closer to home?

If I have my facts wrong please feel free to correct me.

A.B.Normal

http://www.msnbc.com/news/1002011.asp?0cv=CB10

With all the trouble they are having securing Afghanistan ,Iraq is going to near impossible IMO.

I think this is going to be a big problem in Iraq as well.
“Every innocent who is killed has brothers, uncles, sisters and nephews — and behind them the tribe,” said Sadokhan Ambarkhil, deputy governor of Paktika, one of the most dangerous provinces for coalition troops and their Afghan allies. “If 10 people are killed, how many people are saddened?”
I remember reading an article that quoted a grieving Iraqi family member as saying "they come the next day and apologize,thats not what we are about ,we are about revenge "

Gotnolegs

No invading force has ever subdued the Afghann people. Somehow I doubt that we will be the ones to rewrite history...

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
oops, they did it AGAIN

After we went there, we discovered the bodies of two adults and six children under a collapsed wall," Lieutenant Colonel Bryan Hilferty told reporters in Kabul. "We had no indication there were non-combatants" in the compound, he said.

AlphaTroll

Ye know, every day the joke about the Military Intelligence oxymoron just gets proven more & more :rolleyes:

How many more of these 'mistakes' are they gonna make?

Sam

You don't think it's partly that they're using Saddam's old trick of deliberately putting children in plces that they are likely to be attacked, cos they know the information about the deaths gets back to the press?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
You're heading in the right direction but down the wrong path. They don't place children/women in harms way. They place themselves in the direct vicinity of women & children, as protection. That is what Israel has dealt with for generations.

These are not military blunders. These are a group of men that have no vested interest in life & see no purpose to it besides death. They pretend to protect their families while in actuality, trying to get them martyred for the cause. Golda Meir said it best: "We'll have peace when they decide to love their children more than they hate us". This isn't Israel vs Palestine but the priciple remains the same.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I think you better reread this stuff Gonz. Next you'll be telling us Oswald did this and he acted alone...:disgust2: