Saddam in custody!

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
The Other One said:
Don't sweat it--good news bears repeating.

Actually, it's sour grapes for many here, as they are more than a little bummed for any U.S. success in Iraq...
I don't really see as a success something accomplished during something I don't think should be happening in the first place :shrug: It's been sour grapes all along from this chair...since Noriega to my recollection.

freako104

we did get him out of power that was a success. but i do agree with you les. but i think it was successful in that we did what we intended to do. but we shouldnt have been there in the first place. but at least he is out of power

HeXp£Øi±

dAbeaRs said:
We should be happy he turned himslef in like a little freakin baby.

You said a mouthful. Infact this couldn't possibly have played out any better for us then it has.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
:lol:
Kuwaitis, jubilant at the capture of arch-foe Saddam Hussein, were frantically sending each other mobile text messages of mock denials from former Iraqi information minister Mohammad Said al-Sahhaf.

"Sahhaf has denied the capture of Saddam Hussein, saying the man who was arrested is the leader of the (Afghan) Taliban," read one message.

"Urgent ... Saddam announces the arrest of members of the (Iraqi) Governing Council and the coalition troops: Sahhaf," said another.

Sahhaf, who has been living in the United Arab Emirates since July when he was allowed to leave Baghdad following Saddam's ouster, shot to fame for his wildly inaccurate statements on the war in the run-up to Saddam's overthrow.

Iraqi troops invaded and occupied Kuwait in August 1990 before they were driven out by a US-led multinational coalition seven months later.

chcr

Too cute for words
:D Until now, it would have never occured to me that "wildly inaccurate" could be an understatement.

I don't think it will have as big of an effect that many are hoping for.:(

You said it, cat.

Leslie said:
I don't really see as a success something accomplished during something I don't think should be happening in the first place :shrug: It's been sour grapes all along from this chair...since Noriega to my recollection.

:lol2:

Speaking as a Canadian?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I don't think they got Saddam yet...
_39636151_sadd_hussein_ap203.jpg

they've accidentally picked up Mr. Edwards...
vfrench.jpg

:eyemouth:

Hoon

freako104 said:
i dont think he really wanted to appear as a "hero" to the Muslims. He didnt care what they thought hell he killed off a good number of them.

Please Freako...
That's part of the sarcasm.
We know he murdered hundreds of thousands of Muslims ..but not because they were Muslim.
He called on all Muslims to join the "Holy War" (his words) against the evil Americans..
He was reveled by the terrorist community as a defiant force against the "evil empire"
He was regailed as a hero for basiclly thumbing his nose at the international community and the UN and not receiving any punishment or force for doing so.

Effectivly doing two things..
#1 Making the UN and it's members look weak, non uniform and fearful of him.
#2 Making him look like a mythical force fighting the evil americans for 10 years and winning because he was still in charge after all that time.

If you don't think the fall of Saddam is a blow to the morale of terrorist regimes..or you don't think that they way Saddam surrendered is an embarassment for Muslim extremists world wide. Then I don't know what else to say.

freako104

Hoon the only thing they had in common was an enemy: us. other than that they had nothing to each other. i dont see how it would be a blow to their morale since Sadam was responsible for killing so many Muslims

MrBishop

A few quick things:

1) They're going to have a hard time trying him in Iraq. The courts there are in shambles, and there are a lot of people who are ging to try and free him...big safety issues!

2) Of course Saddam didn't fight 'till the end...it wasn't expected of him. He was their president...would anyone out there seriously expect George W. Bush to pick up a gun and actually go to war? He's too valuable working from the sidelines. Saddam, like him or not, was too important leading (even from hiding) the cause... running away to live to fight another day. For him to strap on an M16 and shoot it is a ludicrous idea. That's what his army and guards are for.

3) Suicide? Nah...he still has chances to get free. His 'mighty army' will try and try again, and it'll be tough keeping him in jail no matter where they bring him.

4) Trial in the USA? Don't think so...there's no legal recourse for the USA. Although he's a 'terrorist', he didn't actually do anything against the USA. The best is a mulilateral tribunal, prescided over by the UN.

5) The borders were pretty damn closed for him to get out. He may not even have been trying to get out, but more willing to try and re-build his forces from the inside.

6) Assasination? - now that's a real issue. There are a lot of people who want him dead.

7) I'm glad that they caught him alive, with no killing or wounds. Having him in jail, and being treated humanely will do more for the view of the West from the muslim countries than dozens of years of the best PR around. You can't buy this level of visibility. If the USA plays it's cards right, then all of the Middle-Eaast will not only know that they play for keeps, but that they respect Mulslim's enough to give even their worst enemies a legal and respectful trial.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
PostalBoy said:
would anyone out there seriously expect George W. Bush to pick up a gun and actually go to war?

If, given the same set of circumstances, yes. Die by the sword & leave a huge legend. It's highly doubtful that those circumstances would present themselves but, hey, anythings possible. (remember Teddy & the Roughriders)

BTW-saddam has joined Cheney in the ever popular resort of "unknown location"

Thulsa Doom

MrBishop said:
A few quick things:

1) They're going to have a hard time trying him in Iraq. The courts there are in shambles, and there are a lot of people who are ging to try and free him...big safety issues![/b]

"free" him or "fry" him? I think theres a TON of people in Iraq who would love to see him publically drawn and quartered tomorrow. And if the trial is handled completly by Iraquis you may see this or something worse happen. And the coalition would risk being seen as "setting him up" with a hang mans rigged jury. so... its VERY important some international participation is added to what should have justifiably significant Iraqi input. But this international flavor should include many of the other surrounding muslim countries. Having representatives from Jordan and Egypt and Saudi Arabia and wherever else actually convict Saddam a fellow arab of his crimes would give it the most legitimacy then if we were to let the Iraqis stone him in front of the court house or if we were to throw him in a dungeon somewhere ourselves.