Same sex marriage to be made legal in Ontario

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
“I can now turn to my sweetie and ask him, dearest, will you marry me?”

For years, Michael Leshner (pictured top left) could only pose such a marriage proposal to his partner in a hypothetical fashion. But all that changed on Thursday when an Ontario court ruled that the province must recognize the same-sex marriage applications of eight couples.

Last year, Joe Varnell and Kevin Bourassa were married, but Consumer Affairs Minister Bob Runciman refused to register the marriage certificates. That led the couple to sue the province for the right to unite. And that dream came true when the province’s earlier denials were ruled unconstitutional. The court went even further, calling on the provincial and the federal governments to change the discriminatory law.

Story here

unclehobart

To me, a marriage is a spritual contract between the persons and their religion. It should have nothing to do with the state other than for matters of inheritance. I despise the thought of a government declaring what is and is not legal.. and then levying taxes in the form of licenses. It makes it a spiritual contract between the people, their church, and big brother. I don't need a piece of paper from 'the man' to signify my love. My word and personal intent are 100 times more important than that little slip of paper.. or the blessing of any religion for that matter.

Jeslek

Banned
unclehobart said:
To me, a marriage is a spritual contract between the persons and their religion. It should have nothing to do with the state other than for matters of inheritance. I despise the thought of a government declaring what is and is not legal.. and then levying taxes in the form of licenses. It makes it a spiritual contract between the people, their church, and big brother. I don't need a piece of paper from 'the man' to signify my love. My word and personal intent are 100 times more important than that little slip of paper.. or the blessing of any religion for that matter.

I kinda agree with this statement.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Unc, in theory you are correct. studies, on the other hand, have proven countless times that heh little piece of paper actually helps establish a stronger bond. it shouldn't matter, but it does.

I think state allowed marriages of same sex couples should be approved. they should not require religious ceremonies however, since most religions forbid homosexuality.

unclehobart

..and people cannot marry animals because animals dont have the mental faculties to consent and comprehend such concepts as marriage.

ris

good, i'm glad that the bond of love in same sex realationships is given the same respect as heterosexual relationships.

HomeLAN

As long as it's only two people, and they're the only ones directly affected, why not? And don't bring up the cost of spousal beneifts, because many gov'ts are already covering unmarried partners.

As far as a religious ceremony, that's up to the members of the religion involved.

freako104

as i had said on the thread about gay adotion and families isnt it love that matters in a married couple? as far as the animakls and barbie dolls and all that bullsht, animals as unc said dont have the mental capacity for it that humans do and barbie dolls are dolls they dont have a brain at all. and uncs statement about it being a spiritual connection is absolutly correct.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
unclehobart said:

I agree that the gov't shoudl not be allowed to say who can marry who (unless of course they are marrying solely for the purpose of getting around immigration laws or something of the sort). This is why I am very happy that this breakthrough has been made. I believe there are some religions that accept homosexuals so with the government finally seeing the light hopefully same sex couples can now enjoy the joy of marriage as much (or probably more so becuase of the battle they had to fight) than heterosexual couples.

G

do they let goldfish of the same sex get married? the rivers would be full of gay suckers.

nalani

I myself am against same-sex marriages.

I was married for 8 years ... and it was the same sex ... night after night after night ... :(

:D

G

if i was married to the same person for 8 years, i wouldn't want any sex :cocktail: