Satellite 2415-S205 CDR/DVD-ROM failure

octal

Anyone have any suggestions? Despite the media I put in the cdrom it starts to spin up, then down, then repeats until I eject it. It'll never mount to my filesystem. I'm considering one of 3 things (feel free to add or refute them):
1) The lens needs to be cleaned from dust (not spinning up because it can't see anything)
2) The drive isn't functioning properly due to cooling issues (sometimes I leave the thing on for a day)
3) The cdrom is crap.

Man, this seems to be my month. First my hard drive on my desktop dies, then my laptop's cd-rom is acting up, then I get a boot on my car (gone for 3min) and forced into paying $113 to get it removed.

Professur

I personally do not suggest ever buying a CDRW/DVD-ROM. The heads are too heavy and burn out the motor.

Return it, if you can and get a CDRW and a DVD-ROM as 2 drives. It costs about the same, but the DVD-ROM head is much lighter and the motors last longer. Only use the burner for burning.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
octal said:
Man, this seems to be my month. First my hard drive on my desktop dies, then my laptop's cd-rom is acting up, then I get a boot on my car (gone for 3min) and forced into paying $113 to get it removed.

I didn't know about the boot, that sucks, you should keep bolt cutters in the trunk :D. As for the rw/dvd, it should still be under warranty, you've only had it for a couple months.