School Uniforms

JJR512

Over the summer my family has moved from one MD county to another, and we have learned that in this county (Anne Arundel), each individual public school was given the authority to determine, by parental voting, if it would require uniforms to be worn by the students. To institute mandatory uniforms, the school's administration had to create a proposed uniform, explain the uniform and the benefits of requiring uniforms, and receive votes from at least 70% of the families of children registered at that school, with at least 80% of the votes being in favor.

Most of the county public schools were able to adopt a mandatory uniform policy.

Exemptions will be granted on the basis of religious belief, financial hardship, or for national youth organizations' uniforms on their meeting days (i.e., Boy Scouts). Certain exceptions may also be granted on specified days throughout the year, such as for spirit days, etc.

It is my understanding that high schools are currently exempt from the uniform policy, so high-schoolers are bound only by the more traditional dress code (no revealing clothing, no tobacco/alcohol/drug use or promotion, no foul language, etc.).

Some comments brought forth by parents when the idea of mandatory uniforms was brought up a few years ago can be found here: http://www.aacps.org/aacps/boe/board/newpolicy/comment_uniform.asp

My thoughts? I am against school uniforms. I've been to private schools with uniforms and I've been to public schools without. With uniforms, what you had was that all the assholes dressed the same as the nice kids; the nerds dressed the same as the jocks; the popular kids dressed the same as the unpopular kids; the rich kids dressed the same as the poor kids. The uniform didn't stop any kid from being assholes, nice, nerds, jocks, popular, unpopular, rich, or poor. And when they got home, they all put on their "street" clothes and continued to be just as big of an asshole, just as nice, just as nerdy, just as big of a jock...you get my point...as they were while in the uniform. And the kids all always change out of their uniforms when they get home, so in addition to buying the regular clothes, parents now have to buy uniforms as well.

By making all kids look the same, uniforms are supposed to make all kids feel the same, feel equal to each other. Uniforms are supposed to stop kids making fun of other kids over their differences. Does this happen? Of course not.

Uniforms are the school system's answer to parents who complain that they don't like the way their kids dress, that what they wear is making their kids into bad people. (Read the comments on that page I linked to earlier.) The school system should have told the parents that the school's job is to provide knowledge; the job of shaping kids into decent people still primarily resides with the parents. The parents should be telling their kids what they can and can't wear and they should be teaching them how they can and can't act. Relying on school uniforms to take care of this for them will only make the problem worse in the long run.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
I went to a school with a student body that had a WIDE diversity of financial backgrounds, so I liked the uniform, cause I could not afford the "cool" clothes.

Professur

Actually, the majority of 'efforts' in favour of school uniforms tend to circle around either taxing, or a high percentage of inappropriate clothing .. to high to address individually.

JJR512

I understand uniforms being the easy way out of dealing with the problem of inappropriate clothing. I don't agree with it, but I understand the argument.

Not sure what you meant about taxing, though...?

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
I understand uniforms being the easy way out of dealing with the problem of inappropriate clothing. I don't agree with it, but I understand the argument.

Not sure what you meant about taxing, though...?

stealing, if you have cool shoes, you might get taxed, and walk home bare foot (maybe it's canadian, or montreal slang)

A.B.Normal

Actually, the majority of 'efforts' in favour of school uniforms tend to circle around either taxing, or a high percentage of inappropriate clothing .. to high to address individually.

No way anybody would find a Catholic school girl (type) outfit inappropriate :worm:

JJR512

I went to a school with a student body that had a WIDE diversity of financial backgrounds, so I liked the uniform, cause I could not afford the "cool" clothes.

And did the rich kids treat you as equals?

In my experience, this doesn't happen. Kids usually know who lives in their neighborhood and who doesn't. Uniforms aren't truly uniform, at least not the way the public schools are doing it: They say "white shirt with collar, blue or tan casual pants or shorts". Well you can buy that at WalMart or you can buy it at Nordstrom, and kids can tell the difference. Kids can tell the difference between cheap shoes and expensive shoes.

I'm not saying all rich kids like to be mean to poor kids, but those who want to will find a way to know who to be mean to.

Or--and maybe this is more likely--they'll find some other excuse to be a dick. Because if a kid is going to be a dick at all, he or she will do it for any reason possible, and if reality doesn't suffice, they'll just make shit up.

Uniforms aren't going to stop dicks from being dicks. They'll just be dicks in uniform.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
The pricks where pricks, but it did cut down on EVERYONE drawing lines. So there would be intermingling.

tonksy

I don't agree that continuously "leveling the playing field" is a fair preparation for life. I think that you need to learn from an early age that life is full of people that differ from you in individuality, culture, and finances.
Dressing yourself how you see fit is important to your self-developement.

tonksy

I don't agree that letting a child dress themselves as "they " see fit is a good idea,more as the parent deems fit.

Certainly...but they can dress themselves from their own closet. Decide to wear the collared polo style shirt or the skateboarding t-shirt, chinos or jeans etc.

A.B.Normal

Certainly...but they can dress themselves from their own closet. Decide to were the collared polo style shirt or the skateboarding t-shirt, chinos or jeans etc.

Well,we have late teens early twenties seasonal staff that don't know how to dress appropriate for work.Actually had a member comment on the prostitute at the next till ,only to have to inform them that it was an employee :O.She doesn't work there anymore ,after the third talking to in one day ,she was let go.I have to admit it does work better to deal with those dressing in an inappropriate manner ,than a blanket Code,but the School wants to take the easy way out.

2minkey

bootlicker
um, there's a lot more wrong with it than that... so much that inbreeding, er, homeschooling, actually seems like a preferable alternative.

2minkey

bootlicker
i pledged to myself long ago that i would not have kids unless i had the money to send 'em to private schools. (now that i've met that standard, i need to come up with another excuse... hmmmm.... yep, bad genetics should do...)

it's really sad when europeans of high school age come over here, and they are often YEARS ahead americans of the same age. assuming they are in the college track or whatever, and not already slotted into the "drill press attendant" role.