Scooting right out of jail

unclehobart

Bush commutes 'Scooter' Libby's jail time, leaves the fine and probation.

Makes the GOP happy and the Dems unhappy... well.. duh.

As a taxpayer I am pissed because of all the cash spent on a prosecution that gets essentially tossed aside... but thats just life inside the beltway.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
That's just a sad fact of prosecution. I see it all the time on smaller scales. Crime A is actually committed, but to make sure we get an indictment we knock it down to B. Then the creep pleads to C but only if he gets under the sentencing structure of D. Before you know it, a mandatory 8 year jail term has been reduced to 3 years straight probation, and nobody knows any better.

spike

“I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who betray the trust by exposing the name of our sources. They are, in my view, the most insidious of traitors.” - Bush

Well, I guess we know that wasn't true.

“If there’s a leak out of my administration, I want to know who it is . . . If the person has violated law, that person will be taken care of.”

That one might be true but I think many of us thought "taken care of" would mean something else.

catocom

That's just a sad fact of prosecution. I see it all the time on smaller scales. Crime A is actually committed, but to make sure we get an indictment we knock it down to B. Then the creep pleads to C but only if he gets under the sentencing structure of D. Before you know it, a mandatory 8 year jail term has been reduced to 3 years straight probation, and nobody knows any better.

I've kinda gotten used to the current system though, but to Totally
let someone skate, like the papers in the pants job.....:hmm:

chcr

Too cute for words
Who's 'Scooter' Libby?

See, Ambassador Joseph Wilson mentioned in passing that some if not all of the leadup to the war in Iraq was bullshit. Tit for tat, the administration, in a fit of pique, outed his wife, Valerie Plame, a CIA operative (probably not a very important one though). This is illegal (as you would expect it to be) and someone hollered for heads to roll. "Oh shit," thought the administration's spin doctors, "we need someone to take the fall." Scooter Libby was the scapegoat selected to have his name dragged through the mud to divert attention away from Bush and Co's childishness and stupidity. :shrug:

As unc mentions, this kind of thing is business as usual in DC. I for one never expected him to serve any time and am completely unsurprised.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
“I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who betray the trust by exposing the name of our sources. They are, in my view, the most insidious of traitors.” - Bush

Well, I guess we know that wasn't true.

“If there’s a leak out of my administration, I want to know who it is . . . If the person has violated law, that person will be taken care of.”

That one might be true but I think many of us thought "taken care of" would mean something else.

spike, perhaps you haven't noticed but Mr Libby was not the source of the leak. In fact, there was no leak because Ms Plame was not an undercover agent, was not on assignment & was not covert ops.

Cerise

Anybody know when the Armitage inditement is going to happen?

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Former Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage acknowledged Thursday that he was the source who first revealed the identity of CIA officer Valerie Plame to syndicated columnist Robert Novak back in 2003, touching off a federal investigation.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/09/08/leak.armitage/

If libs were really concerned about "justice" then they would be whining about the hundreds of

PARDONS GRANTED BY SLICK WILLY:

http://www.usdoj.gov/pardon/clintonpardon_grants.htm#january202001

Sad, sanctimonous libs.

chcr

Too cute for words
If libs were really concerned about "justice" then they would be whining about the hundreds of

PARDONS GRANTED BY SLICK WILLY:

http://www.usdoj.gov/pardon/clintonpardon_grants.htm#january202001

Sad, sanctimonous libs.
I can't stand the asshole or his "wife' but christ almighty it was almost a decade ago. Climb down off your cross, use the wood to make a bridge and get over it already, huh? He wasn't even in the top ten presidential pardoners. Can't you find anything current to whine about? I know that you can.

Cerise

BJ is shocked that Bush commuted Libby's sentence and didn't get one dime for doing it, unlike the millions he took as 'donations' to the Clinton Library Pardons Foundation.

DAVENPORT, Iowa, July 3 — Former President Bill Clinton criticized President Bush on Tuesday for commuting the prison sentence of I. Lewis Libby Jr. and tried to draw a distinction from his own controversial pardons. Mr. Clinton was asked by a radio host, David Yepsen, “You had some controversial pardons during your presidency; what’s your reaction to what President Bush did?”

“Yeah, but I think the facts were different,” Mr. Clinton said. “I think there are guidelines for what happens when somebody is convicted. You’ve got to understand, this is consistent with their philosophy; they believe that they should be able to do what they want to do, and that the law is a minor obstacle.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/04/us/politics/04clintons.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

catman

Do you realize that lawyers don't practice law these days?
They interpret it. (to suit the needs of their cliant)
(Anyone remember Clintons indictment?)

Cerise

Libs don't care that Clinton took payments and pardoned his close friends for crimes far WORSE than Libby's failing memory, yet they think Bush did something terrible for commuting Libby's sentence--- leaving the fine and the probation to be dealt with in the appeals process.

Clintoon is the gift that keeps on giving, with his "they think the law is a minor obstacle" comment. Does he not think the country won't see through his BS, or did it never occur to him that he is describing himself and The Hildabeast when he talks of pardons?

spike

What's really insane is the people that would still vote for the current guy. Effing incredible.

Competence in '08!