Scorpion King!

nalani

Me and my nephew went to see "The Scorpion King" the other night ... it was alright ... lots of Hawai'i people (Kelly Hu, the Hertz Rent-a-Car guy that plays the Rock's brother - I never did know his name) ... it just irritates me that he was portrayed as such a jerk on "the Mummy II" yet he's this ultimate hero on "The Scorpion King" ... what did I miss?

Anyone else see it? I thought it was remeniscent (sp?) of "Conan the Barbairian" ... lots of action, some funny stuff, love interest ...

btw - he only does his famous eyebrow-lifting thing once that I saw ... :D

ris

i fear that i may miss this film what with being so busy at the moment.

damn damn damn damn ;)

my missus' sister will go and see it eleventy billion times though, she just lurrrves the rock

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
it was the #1 movie here in the states this weekend!!!32.6 million dollars w00t :headbang: beat out MATRIX in the same weekend opening.

nalani

I really need to go and watch it again cause my nephew has this habit of repeating every funny line that's said as soon as it's said ... talk about irritating ... ku'u can barely stand to watch a movie with him .. normally I can tune him out but ... there was something about the other night .. maybe it was the fact that I paid $7.50 to watch the damn thing ... :D

nalani

Originally posted by wrathchild_67
I thought it was remeniscent (sp?) of "Conan the Barbairian"

Exactly, except it wasn't quite as good as Conan. There were too many movie cliches in the end.

I agree ... I'm sure I'll buy the DVD when it comes out though .. because when all is said and done, he is the Rock ;)

ris

your nephew appears to be a porta-echo :), i guess it makes a change from the people who go to the film who have seen it 40 billion times before and pend the whole time going... 'this bit is great....'

nalani

Originally posted by ris
your nephew appears to be a porta-echo :), i guess it makes a change from the people who go to the film who have seen it 40 billion times before and pend the whole time going... 'this bit is great....'

oh no .. he does that too ... that drives me even more batty! :D

kuulani

Yup, I can't watch anything with nalani's neph ... ruins the whole movie.

But I did see THE SCORPION KING, the matinee showing for $4.50. Two thumbs-up. You could see that THE ROCK was in his element ... it was like watching a feature-length wrestling match :D

I was impressed with all the Polynesian actors that they cast. :D

kuulani

Originally posted by nalani
... it just irritates me that he was portrayed as such a jerk on "the Mummy II" yet he's this ultimate hero on "The Scorpion King" ... what did I miss?

It's probably just 'cause by the time of Mummy II, he let his power get to his head.

unclehobart

How did they explain the resence of pacific islanders in north africa? ...or the presence of steel a few 1000 years too early?

kuulani

My theory about the Polynesian people being cast is that most of the world doesn't really know what Polynesian people look like ... and they had to cast people who somehow looked like THE ROCK (half-African, half-Samoan).

It's just like the movie Rapa Nui, about Easter Island starring Jason Scott Lee. Did they cast Polynesian people in that movie? I saw only a few. The rest were latino.

*shrug*

nalani

Originally posted by kuulani
My theory about the Polynesian people being cast is that most of the world doesn't really know what Polynesian people look like ... and they had to cast people who somehow looked like THE ROCK (half-African, half-Samoan).

It's just like the movie Rapa Nui, about Easter Island starring Jason Scott Lee. Did they cast Polynesian people in that movie? I saw only a few. The rest were latino.

*shrug*

My theory ... we're great looking people

:D