Seattle becomes 11th city to boycott Arizona

spike

It's inspiring to see so many make a stand for freedom.

Yesterday, the Seattle City Council unanimously voted to boycott Arizona by ending official city travel there and resolving, when practical, to cut off future contracts with Arizona-based businesses. That makes Seattle the 11th city to endorse a boycott of the state in opposition to its controversial immigration law. Five of the boycotting cities are in California: Los Angeles tops the list as the biggest, and its boycott could deliver the most painful blow to Arizona's economy, as the city has $58 million in existing contracts with Arizona companies, according to the L.A. Times.

In pending city votes, some members of Dallas's city council are considering a boycott, along with the municipal governments in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and Berkeley, California.

Tourism officials and Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer are pleading with opponents of the law not to boycott, saying innocent people could lose their jobs. But Democratic Arizona Rep. Raul Grijalva has led the calls for boycotts of his own state, arguing that pressure needs to be put on officials to repeal the law, much as similar economic initiatives spurred the state to officially recognize the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday when it was the last state to withold such recognition.

Legal challenges to the Arizona measure could well render the boycott campaign moot, however. Since the law, which makes it a state crime to be an illegal immigrant, is already facing five legal challenges, it may be overturned before it can go into effect July 23.

Here's a list of the cities that have announced travel and/or city-contract boycotts so far:

• Seattle, Washington
• El Paso, Texas
• Austin, Texas
• Boston, Massachusetts
• St. Paul, Minnesota
• Boulder, Colorado
• San Diego, California
• West Hollywood, California
• San Francisco, California
• Los Angeles, California
• Oakland, California

And here is a roster of groups that have announced travel boycotts, via Arizonaboycottclearinghouse.com

• Service Employees International Union
• United Food and Commercial Workers International Union
• National Council of La Raza
• Asian American Justice Center
• Center for Community Change
• League of United Latin American Citizens
• National Puerto Rican Coalition
• Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100518/pl_ynews/ynews_pl2115

catocom

yada yada yada...
their all talk and no action.
Just a bunch of idle threats.
The Bet has been called....we'll see.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I'm making plans to go there later this year.

I'll bet I never once get asked for my papers (even if I'm armed)

catocom

Buy me some stock while you're online buying stuff. ;)
which kinda stock?

meh, I let my friends and family grow the cows and such....
.on the market end...
Gold and other tangible commodities is where it's at.
I don't do the 'market' directly.

valkyrie

which kinda stock?

meh, I let my friends and family grow the cows and such....
.on the market end...
Gold and other tangible commodities is where it's at.
I don't do the 'market' directly.
Gold: overpriced and artificially inflated.
Stock: there's definitely not the "fire sale" going on right now that there was before.

Tangible commodities: like chickens; and my green beans (that have begun to ripen and I ate tonight).

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The USA came to my family, in AZ before it was a state. I have a great old photo of my dad & aunt, as very young children, with their parents, on the boxcar they lived in as my grandfather worked for the RR, in the desert southwest. Tough stock.

catocom

Gold: overpriced and artificially inflated.

'Scrap' gold is the good market.
Also gold 'recovery'.
See, gold is a useful conductive material.
'Superconductor' material is also good. (gotta know what you are looking at though)
Ceramics is good too.

valkyrie

The USA came to my family, in AZ before it was a state. I have a great old photo of my dad & aunt, as very young children, with their parents, on the boxcar they lived in as my grandfather worked for the RR, in the desert southwest. Tough stock.
How do we know you're a US citizen? 0_o
/looks Gonz over
You might be a commie from Mexico spreadin' your communist message and bringing drugs and prostitution to this, our beloved country.
;)

valkyrie

'Scrap' gold is the good market.
Also gold 'recovery'.
See, gold is a useful conductive material.
'Superconductor' material is also good. (gotta know what you are looking at though)
Ceramics is good too.
I think I'll stick to buying stocks when they hit rock bottom. :) This sounds like too much work.

spike

Seattle becomes the 11th city to misunderstand the law. :shrug:

What do you think they've misunderstood?

I do remember when you misunderstood the law and thought you had to commit some offense to be asked to prove your legal status.