Seperation of Christian & state

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
All you who have copies of the US Constitution that includes the part of seperating chuch & state (mine doesn't have that part), see what it says about this:

According to Thomas More Law Center, New York City schools do not allow Christmas Nativity scenes, but they do encourage the display of the Jewish Menorah during Hanukkah and the Islamic star and crescent during Ramadan.

NewsMax

Without searching out my copy of the constitution, I can say this....In 95 I went to school full time for a year to take commercial art. It was at a vo-tech. The rules for decorating on holidays totally excluded any religious reference. Santa was even considered a 'christian' icon.... :alienhuh:

i am all for it but this is too far. just let all religons have a say and display their ideas and legends.

Why not follow the Constitution & not allow Congress to pass laws advocating laws for or against religion & let the citizens do what the fuck ever?

that's a good idea, Gonz...too bad that's not the reality here :mad:

while we're at it, how about removing all mention of God from our currency and the Pledge of Allegiance?

Ms Ann Thrope said:
that's a good idea, Gonz...too bad that's not the reality here :mad:

while we're at it, how about removing all mention of God from our currency and the Pledge of Allegiance?

Isn't reality where? I'd like to see a law than advoactes religion.

God is mentioned in our Constitution & referenced in our Declaration of Independence. It also includes the most forgotten phrase
or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

As long as they aren't aquired through public funds, sure why not?

I don't see why not. We couldn't allow a sculpturte of, say. the 10 commandments & turn down a Buddah or anything, but sure. There is no harm & those tha are offended really need to re-think their deep-seated hatred for religion. I don't believe but I'm not offended by those that do or their symbols. Shit, they represent 96% of the worlds population.

I'm with Gonz on this one (and I'm gagging and choking :D) but as long as they aren't required or paid for with government money, I just ignore them. I've been ignoring them most of my life. That's not entirely true. I asked a teacher in high school (who had put up a nativity scene), "If your sixteen year old daughter came up to you and said she was pregnant but had never had sex, would you start a new religion or make her tell you who the boy was." He seemed a little upset. :shrug:

It has to be open to everyone's religion though, and if I wanted to put up an atheist representation (I have no idea either...) that has to be allowed too.

There are plenty of parks & open public spaces. Time considerations & space would be a limiting factor. A Muslim (insert symbol here) being demanded in DEC is silly. So would the Jews demanding equal time during Ramadan(sic)...logistics can always be worked out.

an interesting side note:

France criticised by 22 of Europe's elder statesmen
By Philip Delves Broughton
(Filed: 14/11/2003)

Twenty-two of Europe's wise men, from ex-prime ministers to Nobel prize winners, have denounced France's insistence on secularising the European Union and establishing a strict separation between Church and state. In an essay in yesterday's Le Monde, the elder statesmen said in Europe, Christianity was "at the root of the fundamental notion of the individual".

They said Christianity had a paradoxical history, as it both created the European conscience and caused wars. The role of religion had been debated throughout centuries of intellectual and scientific advance, but had ultimately always come down to a choice for individuals and their consciences, they added.

The authors included former presidents Richard Weizsaecker of Germany, Mario Soares of Portugal and Arpad Goncz of Hungary.

The remarks were directed both at the authors of the new EU constitution, which contains no reference to Christianity, and at France, where President Jacques Chirac is considering a new law to reinforce the secularism of national institutions. "Everything we see today shows the limits of a narrowly 'secularist' vision in European societies," the essay said. "The end of ideological oppression and the rise of various forms of fundamentalism lead to a better understanding of reality."

Ms Ann Thrope said:
Nope, I don't agree, freako104... no religious displays anywhere unless it's private property would suit me better.

i prefer that but all religions want to have their symbols everywhere so i say if you have one have all or none. i prefer none. sorry i should have said that.

Ms Ann Thrope said:
All true enough. However there are space limitations. Only so much room in any public plaza. Who decides what goes where?

planning authorites.

Back