Shhh, there's good news on Iraq

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
According to data compiled by Andrew Tyndall, a television consultant who monitors the three network evening newscasts, coverage of Iraq has been “massively scaled back this year.” Almost halfway into 2008, the three newscasts have shown 181 weekday minutes of Iraq coverage, compared with 1,157 minutes for all of 2007. The “CBS Evening News” has devoted the fewest minutes to Iraq, 51, versus 55 minutes on ABC’s “World News” and 74 minutes on “NBC Nightly News.” (The average evening newscast is 22 minutes long.)

CBS News no longer stations a single full-time correspondent in Iraq, where some 150,000 United States troops are deployed.

No blood, no story.

By telephone from Baghdad, Mr. McCarthy said he was not as busy as he was a year ago. A decline in the relative amount of violence “is taking the urgency out” of some of the coverage, he said.

Good news for America is bad news for our leftists.

Surprising source

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
What's this? Only one source passing along relative information...
WASHINGTON — Roadside bomb attacks and fatalities in Iraq are down by almost 90% over the last year, according to Pentagon records and interviews with military leaders.

In May, 11 U.S. troops were killed by blasts from improvised explosive devices (IEDs) compared with 92 in May 2007, records show. That's an 88% decrease.
USA Today

spike

No blood, no story.

There's plenty of blood. People just get bored after awhile.

Did you notice something else dominating coverage this year? Like perhaps the non-stop election coverage of "terrorist fist jabs" and such?

catocom

IMO part of the down in Iraq, is that the terrorist are trying to re-conquer Afghanistan.

Although I also think Gen. Petraeus move is influencing,

squeeks

funny you mention this i was thinking about that earlier today, seems the big stories now is obama and gas prices

Cerise

;)

funny you mention this i was thinking about that earlier today, seems the big stories now is obama and gas prices

Ah ha!!

See where the media's priorities lie? Who around here says there is no media bias?

Kinda like one night way back when when the desk jockeys said Kerry was ahead: no point in you cons even thinking about voting..... :shrug:

They want to get a certain someone elected. :brow: No ifs, ands, or buts. Or, butts.

The mainstream media is all about deflection.

jimpeel

I was thinking of posting this story; but the Media Research Center says the violence is down and Spike claims everything they say is a lie. So the violence must not really be down because the MRC says it is down; but the NYT says it is down so it must be down because they never lie.

I'm so confused.

One source that is supposed to always lie says the same thing that a site that is always supposed to tell the truth says. So is the source that lies telling the truth or is the source that always tells the truth lying?

I'm really going to need Spike's help on this one.

Here is what the MRC has to say:

Only ABC Airs Full Good Iraq News Story,
NBC Can't Resist Caveat

The Pentagon on Monday released a quarterly report showing dramatic reductions in violence in Iraq compared to a year earlier, but only ABC aired a full story Monday evening while NBC gave it short-shrift as anchor Brian Williams cited the reduction in violence "by as much as 80 percent" since "before the so-called troop surge." He then added a caveat about how the report "also warns the positive trend here remains, quote, 'fragile, reversible and uneven.'" CBS didn't mention the Department of Defense report, but gave a few seconds to a front page USA Today story on how the number of Americans killed by roadside bombs has plummeted 88 percent from a year ago.

Fill-in ABC anchor Elizabeth Vargas teased, "Report card: The government says there's good news from Iraq. Violence is down dramatically, while security and the economy are improving." Reporter Terry McCarthy recited how "civilian deaths are down 75 percent since last July. Total security incidents are at their lowest level in over four years." McCarthy credited "a number of reasons for the progress: Better performance by the Iraqi security forces; surprising new leadership by Prime Minister Maliki, who's confronting both al-Qaeda and the militias; and the creation of 103,000 Sons of Iraq -- local security forces, many of them recruited from the insurgency." Indeed, McCarthy confirmed the Pentagon's assessment:
"For the past three weeks, we've traveled the length of Iraq, from Basra in the south to Mosul in the north, and the reduction in violence is remarkable everywhere."

McCarthy also highlighted an up side to rising oil prices, the increased revenue is helping Iraq: "One other thing that's going Iraq's way, Elizabeth, the rising price of oil. At over $130* a barrel, the government is generating substantial revenues that it can use to rebuild the economy."

[more]

spike

I was thinking of posting this story; but the Media Research Center says the violence is down and Spike claims everything they say is a lie.

Faulty premise. I never said everything they said is a lie (please point out where if you actually think this is true).

Damn Jim, you get proven wrong with a quickness. I think it's because you keep making things up and then acting as if they actually happened.

Jimbo said:
I'm so confused.

You certainly are.

Cerise

Because that quote characterizes your opinion of media outlets.

MRC: America's watchdog. The leader in documenting, exposing, and neutralizing liberal media bias.

Now, the MRC is not a media outlet per se. It is an archive. A summary. A collection of liberal bias, and an effort to balance that bias with reality.

I can see why it would create fear and denial in the left.

jimpeel

MRC: America's watchdog. The leader in documenting, exposing, and neutralizing liberal media bias.

Now, the MRC is not a media outlet per se. It is an archive. A summary. A collection of liberal bias, and an effort to balance that bias with reality.

But Media Matters is just wonderful.

Spike even uses them as a source on occasion; but by his own standard it must be bullshit because it is an opinion piece. Didn't stop him, though.

spike

So if the majority of the media leans to the the right -> everything MRC prints must be a lie.

The logic there doesn't work. Sorry.

Nope, it's an openly biased organization that nobody concerned with reality takes seriously.

Fear and denial? :rofl3:

No, it just creates mirth and hilarity.

spike

But Media Matters is just wonderful.

Spike even uses them as a source on occasion; but buy his own standard it must be bullshit because it is an opinion piece. Didn't stop him, though.

You base a thread on an article from a biased opinion piece and then are actually going to complain about bias in a source used in response? Really?

Your hypocrisy knows no bounds.