Should the US stop funding the UN?

RDX

Well, this isn't an original question from me. I ran across a poll with this question while browsing some news stories.

Here is where you can cast your vote:
http://www.foxnews.com/studiob/#

And here are the results thus far:
http://www2.foxnews.com/polls/poll_results/bg_results_viewervote.jpg__basic_1759.htm
It's not all that exciting of a question. It's one that has been hashed through a few too many times, but I was rather shocked at the results. Do you think the support for the UN in the US is really that bad?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Of course.

The only part of Hugos speech I agreed with was, MOVE THE UN OUT OF THE US.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
When you have an organization you contribute to (at a higher rate than anyone else), and it becomes a constant source of maltreatment to you, doesn't it make sense to stop funding and get out? The UN has always been anti-US, no matter what we do, and, when they are in trouble, they turn around and ask for our help? :confused: Should of 'shit-canned' the UN after Korea...

chcr

Too cute for words
It does seem, at least from our point of view, to have become not so much the "United Nations" as the "Nations United Against the United States."

Gato_Solo

By that logic, Gato, I should stop feeding my kids...

If they're old enough to be rebellious teen-agers, by all means, make them work for their food. This isn't about kids, though, is it? This is about adults who act in such a fashion...

RDX

I'm just trying to think of another poll that I've seen where 94% of people polled agreed on something. I bet a smaller percentage of the population would disagree on changing our government to a communist system.

If it wasn't so suicidal in international relations, it probably would be a decent move for a president to make in order to boost public support.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
If it wasn't so suicidal in international relations, it probably would be a decent move for a president to make in order to boost public support.

Fortunately, this President is more concerned with results than image. Maybe we can get lucky.

Sawhney89

We are the United Nations. If the US stops funding the UN, the UN will die. Yes, I agree the UN is already dead and international laws sucks. All they have the power to do is strongly encourage countries to follow their path. But hey, it looks good right. –D

Aunty Em

When you have an organization you contribute to (at a higher rate than anyone else), and it becomes a constant source of maltreatment to you, doesn't it make sense to stop funding and get out? The UN has always been anti-US, no matter what we do, and, when they are in trouble, they turn around and ask for our help? :confused: Should of 'shit-canned' the UN after Korea...

Well perhaps if your government didn't do so many dumb things there'd be time to whine at someone else...

Gato_Solo

Well perhaps if your government didn't do so many dumb things there'd be time to whine at someone else...

Let's see...Every war the US has been involved in since Vietnam has had the Brits somewhere nearby, or involved, hasn't it?

Aunty Em

Let's see...Every war the US has been involved in since Vietnam has had the Brits somewhere nearby, or involved, hasn't it?

That's what I mean... you keep dragging us into things... you're too impetuous... y'all need to think a bit more before you act, 'cos you know damn well that the assholes in my government would follow you guys into hell and that isn't necessarily what a large section of us Brits want or feel is right for every situation...

Ya know, free speech is all about being able to disagree with the way someone is behaving, and if there is no UN who the hell is gonna do it on an International level? Let's face it, if you don't listen to them now, you're definately not gonna listen to a single country on it's own saying, "oiy, you can't do that!" :grinyes:

Gato_Solo

That's what I mean... you keep dragging us into things... you're too impetuous... y'all need to think a bit more before you act. :grinyes:

Like you folks need our prompting. :rolleyes: We've followed you 'chaps' into just about every war you've ever been in as well...except for 2 wars, when we fought each other. :toast:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
...if there is no UN who the hell is gonna do it on an International level? Let's face it, if you don't listen to them now, you're definately not gonna listen to a single country on it's own saying, "oiy, you can't do that!" :grinyes:

Listen to what? A bunch of anti-US dictators squabble about what a brutal beast the US is, while living lavishly in NYC, and asking for handouts, then demanding that we come & save the day whenever a skirmish or a natural disaster comes along?

NATO is sufficient. The UN is impotent.

Professur

That's what I mean... you keep dragging us into things... you're too impetuous... y'all need to think a bit more before you act, 'cos you know damn well that the assholes in my government would follow you guys into hell and that isn't necessarily what a large section of us Brits want or feel is right for every situation...

Ya know, free speech is all about being able to disagree with the way someone is behaving, and if there is no UN who the hell is gonna do it on an International level? Let's face it, if you don't listen to them now, you're definately not gonna listen to a single country on it's own saying, "oiy, you can't do that!" :grinyes:

Bullshit. Britain went to war with the US for many reasons, but never because they were 'dragged', anymore than Canada did.

As for listening to the UN .... bullshit. It's a political forum for chest thumping ... and nothing else. A UN resolution was passed against Quebec condeming their language laws. Quebec. Know what effect it had? About as much effect as pissing into a hurricane. And that's friendly western culture, not rabid eastern zealots building nuclear weapons. It and the WTO both need to either done away with, or revised into a planetary gov't.

Gato_Solo

Bullshit. Britain went to war with the US for many reasons, but never because they were 'dragged', anymore than Canada did.

As for listening to the UN .... bullshit. It's a political forum for chest thumping ... and nothing else. A UN resolution was passed against Quebec condeming their language laws. Quebec. Know what effect it had? About as much effect as pissing into a hurricane. And that's friendly western culture, not rabid eastern zealots building nuclear weapons. It and the WTO both need to either done away with, or revised into a planetary gov't.

Political chest-thumping? I'll have you know that the UN has several programs that do great good in the world. I'll post a list with links shortly...