Sick People

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Why do they come to work, and infect the rest of us?

Seriously, if you are sick, stay home.

At least one (of the 4) sick people in today is wearing a mask.

I have had to go into work sick before (network install appointment, I had to be there) but I wore a mask all day, and stayed in my corner.

I feel sorry for one girl, her mom is very not well, and she is taking care of her, but if she gets sick she can't even visit her mom until she is better.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I get so mad about that. Current climate at my work is tell them off and shame them into leaving again.

Dave

I wish they would stay home too.
Nothing gets people riled up faster than being told rest,fluids and tylenol/motrin for aches/fevers and no you're not getting any anti-biotics.

Cerise

They got little hands
Little eyes
They walk around
Tellin' great big lies
They got little noses
And tiny little teeth
They wear platform shoes
On their nasty little feet

MrBishop

Try getting 7-10 days off in a row so you can get better..and then, a week latger, ask for another 7-10 days off so you can mind your sick kid(s).

My last place gave me 4 paid days off. F'n useless!

Winky

Can't come to work?
30 people are lined up to fill your position tomorrow.
Go ahead and stay home, permanently!~

economy%20stupid.JPG

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
We have a new pandemic plan at work this year. We have to stay home sick if we have flu symptoms (we get paid 2/3 of our salary for the days we're off and can make up the extra time anytime before the end of Dec to get paid for the rest). We have to work from home if someone we live with has flu symptoms. Anything up to 5 days off doesn't need a doctor's note.

FYI to anyone in Canada, if you're a full time employee your employer has to give you up to 10 unpaid personal days a year.

Winky

Well then if I was Canadian
I'd be asking all the girls with the flu
to kiss me!

I wouldn’t be healthy till Spring!

Here in America
We have a businesses to run
in the middle of a depression.

Ya gotta sniffle?
Ya wanna stay home
Go on stay home, Permanently

ResearchMonkey

Try getting 7-10 days off in a row so you can get better..and then, a week latger, ask for another 7-10 days off so you can mind your sick kid(s).

My last place gave me 4 paid days off. F'n useless!
Can't use your vacation days?

Normally, you get paid for time worked, not for time not working.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Sick? Stay your ass home. You aren't that important. Better to have one out sick than 20 working at 40% due to spreading illness

MrBishop

Can't use your vacation days?

Normally, you get paid for time worked, not for time not working.

Sick days are there for two things: 1) Help you recover faster so that you're back to 100% productivity sooner & 2) Make sure that you don't make other people sick.

Yes, you can use vacation days..if you have any left for that fiscal year...and your boss and HR are willing to let you take'em.

There are unpaid sick days for family issues, like Nix mentioned. Few people are willing to take them..so more will come in to work, and infect more people at work etc etc..

2minkey

bootlicker
shit i don't know how many paid sick days i have but it's several weeks worth. i guess i just sorta accumulate them because i rarely get sick.

it's a miracle that i'm not sick because i've been traveling for three weeks all over the farking place, and been in a lot of folks' homes with kids around, a bunch of airports, et cetera...

the funny part is that a lot of people here at my office have been out sick with ze piggy flu... i seem to have avoided it here by behaviors that are usually associated with greater risk of contracting the crud.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Sick days are there for two things: 1) Help you recover faster so that you're back to 100% productivity sooner & 2) Make sure that you don't make other people sick.

Yes, you can use vacation days..if you have any left for that fiscal year...and your boss and HR are willing to let you take'em.

There are unpaid sick days for family issues, like Nix mentioned. Few people are willing to take them..so more will come in to work, and infect more people at work etc etc..

OK so what's the issue with getting time off to take care of sick family? You had 10 unpaid personal days. Most places do not give you paid time off to care for ailing family. We're not allowed to use our 2/3 paid sick days to stay home with family.

MrBishop

When you're the only employee of that type in the company (or rather, with that skillset), you're more difficult to replace in case of absences. I'm not there anymore, but I used up a chunk of my unpaid days to attend a funeral and manage the will in your area.

Not every company is all hearts and roses when you ask for leave. They can't refuse you, but they can make it mighty difficult for you once you get back.

valkyrie

My 2 cents (with inflation=5 cents)

I agree that if you're sick you should stay home. But many companies do not offer sick days to their employees. You don't work, you don't get paid, period. Maybe you feel a little under the weather. Is it allergies? A slight cold? Something you ate? The flue? You have bills to pay and the creditors aren't going to let you slide because you were out sick with the flu for a week. So these employees go to work and if it's infectious they spread what they have to the other employees and possibly to the customers.

There's never going to be a solution to this. As much as it is everyone's desire not to spread an infectious disease and push people to stay home, financial pressures are going to push them to show up and hide the illness as best as they can.

Some of you mention the office that actually gives you sick leave. I was out with a migraine on Wednesday. There are 2 people that do what I do in the office. We can also work remotely but it's highly discouraged and in some cases forbidden. They like to see bodies in the cubes. So Thursday my boss wants to know how he's supposed to code the day I took off after I requested the Monday after Thanksgiving weekend off. I was sick... that would be "sick leave". (The push is for all of us to use our vacation pay before the end of the year and hold none over, but not use any sick leave because that is not considered a debit on the books.)

catocom

Sick People

I'm trying to decide if it's worse to be around physically sick people, or mentally sick ones.:crap: