since we care how potential new members feel ..

nalani

wouldn't it be wise to do the "welcome _____" thing rather than the perpetual welcome thread?

I don't even pay attention to that thread anymore ... it's just not personal ... what does everyone else think?

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I agree. I think a thread just for that person would make them feel more welcome.

unclehobart

If it happens, it happens. I don't think anyone has a real objection to individualized threads ... but seeing what has taken place over the last 10 days, personalized threads spiral into really bizarre paths... not that the perpetual one hasn't done the same.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
the decision was made a long time ago when the board started, obviously tons of members joined in a single day, and it was a complete list of welcome threads. (i was one of the last guys that got a personal thread :headbang: )

anyway, we will discuss it with the admins and the other mods.

nalani

I guess my point is like with the 10,000 post thread and the argument to move it and/or close it ...

The perpetual welcome thread is less and less about welcoming .. and wasn't that one of the arguments made about the other thread? The possibility of losing potential members and making them feel welcome? How welcome do they feel being lost in a 300+ post thread?

Just my two cents

PT

I say we do it, just cause Na says we should do it. If Na says we should do it, we should do it. Do You want to be bitchslapped?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
How welcome will the members that are already here feel when their thread gets bumped over to the 2nd page because of a barrage of welcome threads?

nalani

:lol: @ PT

fury - well, that's your opinion .. I have a varying opinion ... and it is of course your decision - I'm just a member. I will just say that if I invite a new member, I will take it upon myself to make them feel welcome ...

greenfreak

How about you keep the Perpetual Welcome Thread, but just change the name of the thread to "Welcome _______" for a week when someone first joins?

:)

PT

Maybe fury could get it to change dynamically, like the thing at the bottom that says who the newest member is.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
fury - well, that's your opinion .. I have a varying opinion ... and it is of course your decision
What? I make decisions around here? Well, hell, why didn't anybody tell me? :D

I'm just saying that if everyone gets the opinion to start every new member a welcome thread, then it's gonna get out of hand, and soon, new members and old members alike will not feel as welcome because their threads start getting buried. I'll go with whatever everyone agrees upon, you know how much of a pushover I am. :headbng2:

nalani

ok .. here's the thing .. is there anything that will work?

We don't make them feel welcome and lose potential members by posting the way we always do ...

We don't make them feel welcome and lost potential members by not paying attention to a perpetual welcome thread....

Welcoming people in their own thread is now a "no-no"

:confuse2:

kuulani

fury said:
How welcome will the members that are already here feel when their thread gets bumped over to the 2nd page because of a barrage of welcome threads?

*throws 2cents*
*trying unsuccesfully to not sound sarcastic*

Umm, just exactly how many new members do we receive nowadays? It's not like we're getting flooded with tons of new members each day, unless you count people who feel the need to come up with alts.

nalani

*wonders how successful I would be as an alt*

I'd suck ... there's only one me ... hey ku'u - what name could you see my alt as?