Sixty second interval between searches??!!!

ipmoof

THAT'S ALMOST A WHOLE FUCKING MINUTE!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Is there any chance we could get this shortened, pleeeease? :)

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I don't like British Comedy

My ex loves Monty Python. A few times I tried to watch one of the movies with him but everytime I fell asleep within like 10min of it beginning.

unclehobart

PuterTutor said:
wtf you talking about?
In using the search function, it used to be limited to a single set of found articles only once per minute... so if something you drew up didnt pan out, you had to wait a full minute to have another go at it.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Do me a favor, guys (and gals) and don't overdo it, please... try not to search more than twice within a minute.

[self-edited for content]

unclehobart

Thats a bit of an over reaction. I cant recall having used the function more than 10 times since the inception of the board.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I'm just curious, since the Get new Posts link basically does a search, is that bad to use as well? Or are you referring more to the searches for phrases or by username?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
PuterTutor said:
I'm just curious, since the Get new Posts link basically does a search, is that bad to use as well? Or are you referring more to the searches for phrases or by username?
The board considers both the get new posts link and a search for just by a person's username searches but they are by far much less intensive than searching for specific words. I think the get new posts link should be fine for frequent use (it was designed to be optimized so that it wouldn't create too much of an added server load). It's just the searching for words that creates the incredible load. I should find some way to make a search flood check limited to only word searches; I don't think it'd be too hard, as a conditional flood check can be done to posts.

Jeslek

Banned
*frown* Why limit the searches? The table can't be that big? Or is it that MySQL falls over on its face? I assume the host has pretty powerful servers so this should execute in under 500ms ...?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
950,000 records in the 21.1mb searchindex table, after it's been optimized (23.2mb previously). One word search usually takes less than 2 seconds, which isn't so bad by itself but many of them in short intervals can easily bring a server to its knees, and even crash MySQL.

Jeslek

Banned
fury said:
950,000 records in the 21.1mb searchindex table, after it's been optimized (23.2mb previously). One word search usually takes less than 2 seconds, which isn't so bad by itself but many of them in short intervals can easily bring a server to its knees, and even crash MySQL.
You have a million records and it falls over. *laughs*

Just out of curiousity, I wonder what would happen if we install these tables on an Oracle system and run it. Probably execute under 300 milliseconds for a word and it won't fall over. That should actually prove to be a very, very, very interesting benchmark.:cool: