Snacky Party Food

simplyred

I didn't even think to look to see if there was a thread about this already before I started a new one. So if there is consider this a bump.

Tomorrow night we are staying in to celebrate NYE. We are treating ourselves to some good party food, and I am looking for someother ideas.

So far I have
Rotel Dip
Crackers and Sharp Cheddar with an almond coating
Gouda and Champagne crackers
and this cream cheese thing I do where you cut a square of cream cheese in half and put a sundried tomato pesto in between each half...served on crackers

Every thing is served on crackers....any new ideas?

chcr

Too cute for words
I'm not doing one this year, but typically I rather do what unc suggests (although if he ever comes to one he's going to make me think more about my menu). I have several stands for those aluminum (aluminium for you furriners) chafing dishes and typically have seasoned meat, refried beans, some kind of soup and some kind of warm sweet (cobbler or such). A crockpot full of cheese, lots of corn chips, and all the requisite nacho fixings. Chips and dips, guacamole (Dara makes excellent guacamole), some sort of vegetable tray and some sort of fruit tray. People come to our parties to graze and have a good time. We always make too much, but I think everybody does.

tonksy

I didn't even think to look to see if there was a thread about this already before I started a new one. So if there is consider this a bump.

Tomorrow night we are staying in to celebrate NYE. We are treating ourselves to some good party food, and I am looking for someother ideas.

So far I have
Rotel Dip
Crackers and Sharp Cheddar with an almond coating
Gouda and Champagne crackers
and this cream cheese thing I do where you cut a square of cream cheese in half and put a sundried tomato pesto in between each half...served on crackers

Every thing is served on crackers....any new ideas?

I have this recipe somewhere's that I have been wanting to try. It goes like this:
Take a dried apricot and stick an almond in the middle (or not). Wrap it in half a slice of bacon, securing with toothpick. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes until bacon is crisp - rotating midway through cooking.
Serve with sauce:
Apricot preserves with some soy sauce or balsamic vinegar. Just add enough to make the right consistancy.

simplyred

The Spanish have an entire field of cuisine built around snack food. Just look for anything under the heading of 'Tapas'.

You have plenty of dairy. I see the need for more fruits, veggies, and meat.
http://www.spain-recipes.com/black-olives.html
[/url]

I agree. I like this recipe, but don't have several days to make it. I think it would be a good add to cheese tray (there I go with the dairy again) rather than served with a glass of sherry...but then I don't drink
I have this recipe somewhere's that I have been wanting to try. It goes like this:
Take a dried apricot and stick an almond in the middle (or not). Wrap it in half a slice of bacon, securing with toothpick. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes until bacon is crisp - rotating midway through cooking.
Serve with sauce:
Apricot preserves with some soy sauce or balsamic vinegar. Just add enough to make the right consistancy.

Let me know how this is. It sounds interesting, but I am not a fan of things wrapped in bacon. If I know it is good, though I may be urged to try it.

tonksy

Okay, I made it tonight for a late night snack.
I didn't use almonds because we had some sugar spiced pecans laying around so they made for a nice replacement.
They were very sweet and smoky and I found that I liked them better without the sauce. Rob enjoyed them, too. Marlowe liked them and Malory did not (big surprise :rolleyes: ).
If you make them be sure to do it on a broiler pan or on a wire rack placed inside a baking dish - something to let the fat drain off.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
It ain't a party without the Chex Mix. Or the beer. And if you really wanna impress, grill up some steaks or brats. And add the beer. Mustn't forget the beer.