So what was the reason for the war again?

So, what was the reason for a war?

• OIL!

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Revenge for Saddam's attempt to Assassinate Bush 41

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Colonialism / imperialism

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Protecting Israel

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • War against Islam

• Weapons testing

• To capture a "Stargate"

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Boosting the white male ego

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • None of the above/I support the war

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

Dave

weapons testing.

what good are all those expensive toys if ya cant play with em....

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
For anyone interested, I chose the 'None of the Above' option. It's the only option that made any sense whatsoever.

As for the other options...I think they're comical at best and insulting at worst.

The real reason we fought this war? Because the UN failed. Some may ask how, so I'll tell you.

1. After the last Gulf War, Iraq was given a list of demands, which they signed.

2. Iraq failed to follow that list, and even went to the extreme of claiming some of the folks there inspecting weapons were spies (the inspectors job, if anyone cares to remember, was to inspect Iraq's weapons programs and existing weapons, and report their findings back to the UN).

3. Iraq failed to destroy all their weapons of mass destruction, and also failed to destroy all of their Scud missiles.

4. The incident on 9/11 mobilized a nation, and put the US on a war footing.

5. Iraq, while not directly involved, rejoiced at the suffering of 9/11, and Afghanistan didn't showcase how much force we could bear to guarantee our 'peace', so we needed another avenue to show exactly what could happen if you cross the US. Saddam was acting belligerent, so, given the mood of those in power, he had to go. End of story.

flavio

Banned
Gato_Solo said:
Iraq, while not directly involved, rejoiced at the suffering of 9/11, and Afghanistan didn't showcase how much force we could bear to guarantee our 'peace', so we needed another avenue to show exactly what could happen if you cross the US. Saddam was acting belligerent, so, given the mood of those in power, he had to go. End of story.

Wow, that makes the US reasons sound pretty bad and the current administration look like bold face liars to their own people.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
1-3 is what the argument has been about & most of us have been trying to pound into teh thick skulls around here.

4-:grumpy:

5-a direct result of 1-3.

flavio

Banned
Nice, find an excuse to invade a country so you can "showcase your force".

Then slap a nice name on the lie having to do with "liberation" to placate the masses.

The mood of those in power is reason enough to kill thousands.

Gato_Solo

Frown at #4 if you like, but I don't think we'd be bothered by Saddam if 9/11 had never happened. We'd've been in N Korea instead. ;)

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Oil, don't believe it?

People is starving, but Iraq is already producing oil.

Gato_Solo

Luis G said:
Oil, don't believe it?

People is starving, but Iraq is already producing oil.

People were being fed in Iraq when the bombs started falling. I saw thousands upon thousands of HDR's go through here, Luis. Anybody who thinks it's all about oil, hasn't really thought for themselves. If you look at what's going on here, you'll see that the oil flowing is part of the food for oil program. Check it out for yourself, if you don't believe me...

HeXp£Øi±

A useless poll really. It's missing some of the key points. Just as well i guess, i'm tired of arguing it all the way around.

ris

dunno what the real reasons are but my government changed its mind so much i stopped believing most of the stuff it was turning out.

chcr

Too cute for words
Squiggy said:
Mine too...
I didn't think ours ever changed their mind, Squigg. Mr. Bush decided he was going to war a long time ago, and he did. He made noises in other directions, but the war was inevitable for at least a year.

freako104

what about power thats not on there either. oil was the best i saw on there but i think there are too many reasons.and some were just plain bs like war on Islam.

RD_151

shit, I didn't see it. Add one one more to the Stargate catagory :D

I didn't see that one. I guess it's just as plausible as the media and the administrations justification.

unclehobart,

In case you missed it, there was this Aussie, a former prof at GW and American, who claimed the real reason is that there is a 'stargate' somewhere in ancient Babylon and we wanted to get it from the Iraqis, or something to that effect. This guy is great. There was a thread about it somewhere here a while back. It seems he's working with John Nash, and Richard Dean Anderson to stop the Goa'uld invasion :D