Some suggestions?

Jeslek

Banned
1) Delete all accounts older than 2 months that has 0 posts.

2) The second column on the forum post display... Do we really need to know the start date there? I mean, its not many times that you actually read that and you can just open the link and see the post date of the first post. I kind of liked it more when the username was there and you could scan down it easily. Right now its rather hidden.

3) Update the colors of the AUP. :cool:

4) The new posts indicator is fucked up. Even though you read a thread, it still won't blink off. You have to manually click on "mark as read".

Jeslek

Banned
5) Let users delete their own threads

6) Move this to Town Hall... Grr, I always get the lobby confused with Town Hall...

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Jerrek said:
4) The new posts indicator is fucked up. Even though you read a thread, it still won't blink off. You have to manually click on "mark as read".

Look at the little envelope at the left side, when it's open, you haven't read it. When it's closed, you have. The arrow just takes you to the first post you haven't read, but won't go away until you mark all threads read.

Jeslek

Banned
Re: Re: Some suggestions?

PuterTutor said:
Jerrek said:

Look at the little envelope at the left side, when it's open, you haven't read it. When it's closed, you have. The arrow just takes you to the first post you haven't read, but won't go away until you mark all threads read.
No I mean on a forum level. When you read all the posts in a forum, and go to the main index, I want the light to go out.

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
1) Delete all accounts older than 2 months that has 0 posts.

Why would it matter if they are there or not?

2) The second column on the forum post display... Do we really need to know the start date there? I mean, its not many times that you actually read that and you can just open the link and see the post date of the first post. I kind of liked it more when the username was there and you could scan down it easily. Right now its rather hidden.

There are behind the scenes indexing and queries based on this. sorry.

3) Update the colors of the AUP.

Rome wasnt built ina day. We'll get to it.

Yes, follow PT's explanation on this. It is how vB works.

5) Let users delete their own threads

Sorry this wont be an option. Too many times i go to forums where i had posted only to find the thread has been deleted. Sometimes i want the information myself only to see the orginator got the answer and deleted his thread.
Then the mods and admins actually have the balls to tell the members to do a search before asking questions.

6) Move this to Town Hall... Grr, I always get the lobby confused with Town Hall...

yor wish is my command. :D

Jeslek

Banned
samcurry said:
Why would it matter if they are there or not?
You have a lot of members who has 0 posts... Maybe for a more accurate member count?

Yes, follow PT's explanation on this. It is how vB works.
It doesn't make any sense... Once all posts have been read, why is the new post light still turned on? The previous system would then turn it off.

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
You have a lot of members who has 0 posts... Maybe for a more accurate member count?

What do we do when they actually come back and want to post? We had quite a few members who orginally signed up wnd could not get in for whatever reason.
And then a few months later they could get in. Would kinda piss you off to see that the site had deleted you because you couldnt get in for a bit.

It doesn't make any sense... Once all posts have been read, why is the new post light still turned on? The previous system would then turn it off.

There is a new version of vB comming out. We arent going to be trying to rewrite code or adding any major modifications to the site till after the new software comes.
It should hopefully have all the little quirks fixed in this version.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I believe I have answered the comment about the system not marking a forum read automatically when the last new post in a forum is read. It went something like, vB3 has this functionality, so I'm not going to get creative and start hacking the hack I used for the persistent mark forum read unless version 3 doesn't come out for like a year. Don't worry though, they said they might release a beta version in time for Christmas

As for the addition of the thread started date, I'm trying to think of how I can keep that there without having to actually hide it in a tooltip or something. It's there because I added a link to sort threads by the date they were started, and because it's handy for quickly spotting months-old-but-revived-cause-someone-was-bored-to-death threads. I may just have to hack in a column customizer though (it's been an idea in my head for a while, but until recently I haven't had the php knowledge to make it happen, at least not while keeping low on database usage)

Jeslek

Banned
That last paragraph made this much sense to me: :blank:

Um, whatever you've been doing has been good so far, so just keep it up :)

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Here, I'll try to reword it. :headbang:
As for the addition of the thread started date, I'm trying to think of how I can keep that there without having to actually hide it in a tooltip or something. It's there because I added a link to sort threads by the date they were started, and because it's handy for quickly spotting months-old-but-revived-cause-someone-was-bored-to-death threads. I may just have to hack in a column customizer though (it's been an idea in my head for a while, but until recently I haven't had the php knowledge to make it happen, at least not while keeping low on database usage)

I know adding the start date of threads to the forum display kind of cluttered it up, but it's kind of handy to have around. You can now sort threads by the date they were started, and you can easily see which threads are old and resurrected. But I can't think of any way to both have it and unclutter the space there. So I might try adding a way to customize which columns you can see on forum display pages, if I can figure out how to do it without adding too much more strain on the server.

Jeslek

Banned
Question: Why so worried about the strain on the server? This is professional hosting right? Shouldn't they have ... um, big machines?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Is a P4 1.6 gig with 1gb of ram big? No. Do they add a bunch of accounts to it anyway because they can't afford more or bigger servers? Yes. :rolleyes:

Combine that with the fact we have 10-20 people online at any given time, and we're already on shaky grounds with them recommending we move to a semi-dedicated server because their shared servers can't handle us, and you can probably see why I have to worry about server strain.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Really? I mean that sucks and all having to move to a semi-dedicated server and all, cause I'm sure it's more expensive, but at the same time, that's pretty fucking cool too. :santabng:

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
no matter whether you're on a dedicated or a shared server...it's always prefered to make queries as efficient as possible, and trying to achieve minimum serverload, without too much confessions...

same thing with programming, people think 'oh, they have P4's with a zillion MB of RAM, so i can program in a horrible way...'
to me trying to make that program work properly on a P1-166 is not only a good goal, but also helps a LOT in efficient programming.

if only more people would think this way....

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Shadowfax said:
no matter whether you're on a dedicated or a shared server...it's always prefered to make queries as efficient as possible, and trying to achieve minimum serverload, without too much confessions...

same thing with programming, people think 'oh, they have P4's with a zillion MB of RAM, so i can program in a horrible way...'
to me trying to make that program work properly on a P1-166 is not only a good goal, but also helps a LOT in efficient programming.

if only more people would think this way....
Bingo. The only reason web programs haven't become as bloated as local programs is because shared hosting is so inexpensive nowadays and it's a common occurrence to have only a tiny chunk of resources to deal with.