Space shuttle Columbia crashes

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
+200,000 ASL & 12,500 MPH...explosion. Almost impossible to be terrorism or purposeful...seriously sad accident.

STS107.jpg

HeXp£Øi±

Most of it probably burned up. It is protected from heat but only from the outside. If the ship starts breaking apart the temperature inside would quickly become a few thousand degrees.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Since it appears to be an accident, with no working theories at the moment mine, I'll start one: A tile (which have cracks in them) broke off, creating a flying furnace, which at that height & speed ignited something inside & BOOM!

The last one made sense, this doesn't.

Professur

HeXp£Øi± said:
Most of it probably burned up. It is protected from heat but only from the outside. If the ship starts breaking apart the temperature inside would quickly become a few thousand degrees.

Even a few lost tiles in the wrong place would have heated enough to ignite the air inside. That would have blown it apart. I see your point.

HeXp£Øi±

Watching the ship itself doesn't tell you much. If you want a clue as to just how chaotic the re-entry was watch the contrail rather than the ship itself as it comes in.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I read something today where at takeoff, a piece of insulation from an external fuel tank fell off and hit one of the wings, the astronauts inspected it in space and said it was minor damage. I'm betting it wasn't so minor.

I can't find the story now, but I'm pretty sure it was on Msnbc, a related link about the launch.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I heard that story also PT.

Drudge said:
Final radio transmission between Columbia and Mission Control:

Mission Control: 'Columbia, Houston we see your tire pressure messages and we did not copy your last.'

Columbia: 'Roger, uh, ...' (transmission breaks off after the crew member starts to stay a word beginning with the sound 'buh.')

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I saw that too, PT...they showed pics but I couldn't see what they were refering to. I would imagine that damage probably caused the failure. Its the most likely possibility so far...

HeXp£Øi±

Considering the violence that the ship undergoes, it's amazing that the space shuttle(s) have seen something like 135 missions without incident.

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
wrong re-entry level could cause this as well, even with intact tiles. combine that with lost tiles, it only makes things worse...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
What I, as a non-scientist, have trouble fathoming is: 200k above sea level, traveling at 12,500 MPH & they'll be on the ground (at sea level)within 1500 miles & 16 minutes. Talk about deceleration & descent.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I'm sure they will...Right now they are hesitant to float anything as more than just another of the many possibilities......I'm just waiting to see what Herve has to say on it....

Professur

Gonz said:
What I, as a non-scientist, have trouble fathoming is: 200k above sea level, traveling at 12,500 MPH & they'll be on the ground (at sea level)within 1500 miles & 16 minutes. Talk about deceleration & descent.

That's why they call it a flying brick.