Stem Cell Research

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
Or, on second thought, maybe it was either an orphan baby that had medical problems after birth and died in the hospital... or an aborted fetus? :eek: :eek:

$ponge

The potential of stem cell technology is to make the undifferentiated, non-specific stem cells grow into specific cell types that can be used to replace damaged cells that occur in many diseases. For example, the hope is that one day it may be possible to grow brain nerve cells to replace those destroyed by Parkinson's disease

Does that mean that if they give a normal brain stem cell treatment one could become a superbrain controling others only with the will of his mind :eek:
:conehead:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I support stemcell research. As long as no one is dying for them to do this then I see no problem with it. If the baby is aborted anyway it's stemcells may as well be put to good use.

Also, with regards to the woman's cancer cells i don't understand why the family is so upset. If the growth of these cancer cells are helping in Cancer reseach then they may be helping other people who have cancer have a greater chance of survival. I think it's greedy for the family to want them destroyed. It's not hurting anybody. Some people refuse to help others. When my dad was sick he agreed to be on a test drug to help them do reseach and even after he died my mom allowed them to perform an autopsy incase they might find something that would help the medical profession treat anybody in the future who ends up with the same comdition and maybe save THEIR life. Some people though figure their loved one is dead so no one else matters. Yeah it hurts when someone you love dies but why woudln't you want to help and maybe prevent someone in the future form dying? I'm not talking about donatining your body to reseach or anything, I'm just talking about allowing cancer cells to be grown in a lab or having a post-mortum done! If more people helped contribute then maybe so many people wouldn't have died and maybe my dad would be here today!

So I say if noone is dying for them to retrieve the stemcells then there's nothing wrong with it. Anybody who feels there is I am not trying to force you to change your mind just stop for a second and think how you woudl feel if one day someone you loved needed a stemcell transplant to save their life. How would you feel about them then?

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Simple. Any pregnancy which occurs through those means (incest or rape) is not consensual sex, therefore the 'victim' of such sex should not be legally forced to carry to term. All other pregnancies are of a consensual nature, thus the two parties agreed somewhat to the consequences.

Before you folks start flaming, please realize that I used the word consequences because I couldn't think of another word that actually fit the circumstances.