Stem cell transplant wipes out HIV!!

That's good news. I'm wondering if this works out as a cure, if this can be mass produced cheaply for those suffering in Africa.

Oh no, think again einstein! Don't you think one of the major pharmacutical companies wants to cash in big on this? It's not about helping people it's about profit margin! Don't you go forgetting it!

Cha-Ching!

cash.jpg

That's just the CEO's weekly take home pay BTW....

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Helping people while getting a healthy profit = good.

Spending unrecoupable money is stupid. What was the last government lab dicovery of a new medication?

MrBishop

Noone hampered their quality... just their source. Indeed, noone hampered that either .... 'cept to restrict the tax dollars funding it. But then, if it's that fantastic, I expect the pharmaceutical companies would be lined up out the door to invest.

And frankly, given some of what I've heard from the mouths of some of the leading researchers in this field .... I'd rather see them hampered. I posted in some long past thread a quote where a spokesman for a lab, when asked about the moral implications of the work done there, replied .... that's for politicians to worry about. Now I don't know about you, but when someone passes the buck on a moral decision to politicians ..... Whoa. I can't remember if the lab was doing cloning or stem cell research ... but personally, i paint the lot of them with the same brush. That kind of thinking is what gave us the atomic bomb.
Don't go dragging this into the American morals room...this is more about what stem-cell lines they can buy and can afford.

Neither firm noted is American. The HIV cure one is German and the tumor story is Moscow/Israel.

Helping people while getting a healthy profit = good.

Spending unrecoupable money is stupid. What was the last government lab dicovery of a new medication?

You completely ignore the reality. The price will be ridiculous and exorbitant, and then our government, (read your precious TAX DOLLARS) will buy it for poor Africans. I can't wait not to hear you whine about that.

MrBishop

Worst yet..this'll be buried so that the pharmaceuticals can continueselling life-long treatments. Why sell something only once, when you can sell 20 pills/day for the next 30-40 years?

chcr

Too cute for words
Worst yet..this'll be buried so that the pharmaceuticals can continueselling life-long treatments. Why sell something only once, when you can sell 20 pills/day for the next 30-40 years?
"Helping" people while getting a "healthy" profit.

spike

Worst yet..this'll be buried so that the pharmaceuticals can continue selling life-long treatments. Why sell something only once, when you can sell 20 pills/day for the next 30-40 years?

And there is the whole problem with "for profit" medicine. Flawed from the start.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
What was I thinking? You're all right. I say let's go torch the American pharmaceutical companies (sice, apprently they're the only bad ones) to the ground.

I'll be in line, awaiting my Austrian Pharmaceutical company new drug discovery. Ugh, anybody have a sammich, it may be along wait.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
AIDS is a condition, not a disease. Once the HIV is killed off, a simple bone-marrow transfusion would be sufficient to rebuild the immune system to normal (Kind of like after chemotherapy/radiation therapy).

Once the immune system is back in working order the 'acquired immune deficiency' is reversed and you can't say that the person has AIDS anymore.

So..in a matter of speaking..it 'cures' AIDS.

Similar to saying that you cure the stomach flu, but get rid of the diarrhea.

Oh yeah, bone marrow transplants are fucking simple. Right. Whatever you say.

MrBishop

Oh yeah, bone marrow transplants are fucking simple. Right. Whatever you say.
They've been doing it for decades 40+ years...

As procedures go, it's simpler than a heart transplant, liver transplant, or other organ transplants.

It's "Simple"