Subscribing to threads

Altron

I found that I won't get notified of a reply unless I ho into the Post Reply box. If I do a Quick Reply it posts it but I don't get subscribed.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
i stopped getting emails about post updates, it doesn't bother me, I get about 60 less email messages a day, was this mentioned somewhere else already?:)

fury

Administrator
Staff member
If you weren't at the board while the threads were "alive" (read: still getting frequent replies), you only got one email for each thread that was posted to. It doesn't email you again for each thread until you visit the board again. But if you're actively visiting the board at the same time a thread you've subscribed to is actively being posted to, that's when you get the shitloads of emails. I'm going to try to find a way to implement a no-email subscription system but depending on how close vBulletin 3 is to being released I may just wait it out (the vBulletin 3 conversion will be enough work itself, one more hack won't be worth it if it's only x days or weeks away)

Additionally, you'll only get emails for those threads which you selected to subscribe ("Subscribe" on the quick reply or "Email notification" on the full reply, or by clicking the "Subscribe to this thread" option down at the bottom without replying)

Altron

/me likes email subscription

What would be nice is if it only sent another email if you read the thread it's referring to, that would stop all unnessecary emails.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
but i haven't gotten mail from otc since january 1, (had to check make sure i'm not crazy)...although it could be the spam filter my email is forwarded through finally decided that otc is a bunch of spammers for sending me tons of redundant looking email, i'll have to check it out.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
tommy, your mail filter would be correct!!! We ARE a bunch of spammers!!!!!:headbang:

tommyj27

Not really Banned
Nixy said:
We ARE a bunch of spammers!!!!!:headbang:
apparently, i changed my email address to a to an unfiltered one and voila! up to my ears in otc mail again :headbang: i feel like santa claus i've got so much mail

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
*resists urge to want to make out with tommy cause if that is him in his av he is SEXY*

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Altron said:
What would be nice is if it only sent another email if you read the thread it's referring to, that would stop all unnessecary emails.
True, that would be nice, if we had an extra few hundred megs of DB space to fart around with.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Can't you change the default to not subscribe? Then we would only get mail on the ones we actively subscribed to. Right now, just replying automatically subscribes you.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
The default when registering IS to not subscribe (at least, it has been since we converted to vBulletin). You can change the setting in User CP -> Edit Options -> Default posting options. Uncheck "Email Notification"

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I know that part. But it should be that you would have to actively subscribe to recieve the emails. Right now it automatically subscribes you if you post a reply..

tommyj27

Not really Banned
Nixy said:
*resists urge to want to make out with tommy cause if that is him in his av he is SEXY*

HA HA! IT IS I! THE GREAT...well, tommy i guess.
</WHOREABLE MOMENT>

:headbang:

Altron

/me likes e-mail notify
I think I might make a mail filter and an OTC folder, so I can seperate important emails from all this Off Topic Central Forums Mailer spam :)

tommyj27

Not really Banned
i have to do that otherwise my inbox gets flooded with mail from newspapers, linux/tech listservs, and of course here. go email!:headbang: