Summer Fun

RDX

I've been building ponds for the past few summers when I have days off from work. I really enjoy it and would gladly take it up full time if it paid like petroleum engineering.

I first started to build them in my parents backyard when I was in high school. I will admit that the first ones were pretty crude, but I learned a lot of things along the way. Eventually, people were asking if I would do landscaping for them. I wasn't terribly interested unless they wanted a pond/stream/fountain installed, but I ended up mostly doing general landscaping during the summers in college and few ponds.

Now that I have a good job, I don't need to do it for income anymore; so it's turned more into a hobby. Here are pictures of my most recent one:

http://img81.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00074wu6.jpg
http://img81.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00068tk9.jpg
http://img81.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00067wi0.jpg

I started it about half way through the summer last year and completed most of it before winter. I just have a few other things to do this spring such as building a rock path, finish placing rocks around the top part of the stream, some lighting, and a little more plumbing. The rocks were all handpicked from rock piles in the area and hauled in with a tahoe (don't ask me how many trips that took), except for the largest 10 or so, which were loaded onto a trailer with a bobcat. To start the stream, I drilled a 2" hole through a rock near the top to create a sort of spring. The water flows down a 40 foot stream into a 2500 gal koi pond. The setup is about as low maintenance as it gets, with a very energy efficient external pump (does about 50gal/min), an auto fill and auto drain, an oversize bio filter with UV sterilization and an auto back flush.

Most of the plants were put in this spring, so very little is established. It should look nice by the end of the summer though. I'm about ready to start another.

tonksy

In theory I'd love something like that...but do you know what is attracted by those things? Beyond the frogs, toads and various mammals? Snakes and mosquitos.
Water features are definitely beautiful but I'm thinking not in my yard.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
mosquitos & running water are not friends. ponds inhabited by fish are okay.

RDX

If you make the pond deep enough (more than 2 feet) and plenty wide, most mammals like cats and raccoons usually aren't much of a threat to the koi. The thing that troubles many fish owners are heron. One of them can eat up your entire stock in an afternoon. Fortunately, there aren't heron up here so that isn't a concern for me.

Gonz is right about the misquotes, it's too fast of a flow for them. However, those who want bog gardens in their yard definitely have to consider that. Anyone here have a pond or stream at their place? Even if you don't consider it all that interesting or impressive, I'd love to see some pictures!

Professur

Does an 8 sq mile glacial lake count?

Even if you want a bog-style, mosquitos are easily controlled by the introduction of a few bat boxes. And fish just love eating their larvae. A supply of rock bass in there will keep your area skeeter free. In fact, since you've given the skeeters such an ideal place to lay, it'll help reduce the total population of blood suckers over time.