Sunflowers

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I'm planting my sunflower garden today. We got 3 packets of seeds, 150 in total, they range from 1.5m through 4.5m :eek: HUGE!

The squirrels and birds will be delighted come August! :D

I just love sunflowers :)

greenfreak

I've never grown them-how hard is it to keep them healthy? How much sun do they need?

I'm leaving this place next year so I'm not planting anything now but maybe the next place will have a nice lawn.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
It was stupendously easy last year (the first year) I didn't do a thing for them all year, besides staking them up, we just stuck the seed in and left them. We had them in a spot that gets full morning sun and is full shade after 12, and they were supposed to be 4 feet max. They grew 6-8 feet :eek:

The packets just say "prefers sunny spot", it doesn't specify how much, morning sun apparently works, though. :D

You would need your squirrel repellent though :laugh:

greenfreak

For that, I wouldn't mind squirrels. The thing that pissed me off about the bird feeder was that Chester was eating all of it, and pushing the stuff he didn't like on to the ground. I haven't seen him since, by the way. :)

I get full southern sun all day and I finally found some plants that can take that kind of sun--Canna lillies. I started them inside and the leaves are huge. I would grow them just for the leaves but the flowers should start coming up in another month.

Now our next place will probably have no sun and no lawn. That would suck.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
A little update, we now have about 75 up. :eek: They are about an inch high, as well as about 30 of various sizes transplanted from in the flower garden where the sunflowers were last year, and a whole bunch of spots in the grass where the squirrels buried them then forgot.

I think maybe we have a few too many now. :eek:

It should be pretty though, if it's not too overwhelming! :)

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Will do, right shortly. :D I've got a kidless shopping expedition planned for next Sunday. :clap:

Inkara1

Originally posted by greenfreak
Now our next place will probably have no sun and no lawn. That would suck.

My apartment has no east or west windows. All the windows face either north or south. That means I can't get much good sun on the plants by placing them by the windows, because the current angle of the sun and the roof overhangs mean the shade starts right by the windows. I leave the dieffenbachia on the balcony when it's cool enough so it can get some sun, but it likes temperatures in the 70s, not the 100s.