Sure are a lot of Canadians around here.

Alaska

The Arctic Winter Games fields teams from all over the northern latitudes of North America, Europe and Russia. http://www.awg2006.org/

It's been great show. The cultural presentations by the kids of Nunavut, Canada, Yamal, Russia and Greenland were outstanding. :dance:

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
That looks really awesome. I`d love to get up there (some year) and watch. I`ve watched some of the Dene games on tv before.

Alaska

The team from Yamal brought the house down with several dance routines. Their costumes were awesome. :)

Alaska

Professur said:
I'm still trying to get up to Kapuskasing.

Kapuskasing is 650 miles from Montreal and what I see on the map doesn't indicate a major highway going there. Better pack a very large lunch. :)

What's the attraction?

Professur

Actually, getting there's fairly simple. I just take the 117 past Val D'or, and Rouyn Noranda. Mapquest shows the retarded route of following the ont-que border.

I've been there before, just not at the right time for the Lumberjack competitions. It's mostly a matter of knowing when it is and getting the time off to go.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
If I`m going north again I`m really going north. Those Winter Games look like just the thing. And a good-ish time of year to go.

I`ve only made it up to about an hour south of Kapuskasing. But it isn`t the size of the bugs so much. Once you can get over their helicopter-like size, it`s the sky being black with them that gets you.

Professur

unclehobart said:
How big are the bugs up there?

Well yer gots yer blackflies, which is pretty much a big gnat. Bigger'n yer skeeters down dere. But light, so's the air offen yer hand blows 'em outta the way, sos's yer can't hit the blighters.

Then yer gots yer Skeeters. Which's a bit smaller den yer average house fly, but spindly-like. But they's got a nose near a quarter-inch lang. If'n yer hairy likes me, dey ain't no bodder, as yer can feel 'em lang.

Then, yer gots yer green-eyed deer flies. Looks summat like a house fly, 'cept fer the brown tips on 'tits wings, and da bright green eyes. Dey likes ta take a bit 'o yer fer a souvin-eer. Leaves a hole 'bout as big a the inkspot left by a medium Bic pen. But they land gentle-like. Yer don'ts know yer bin targetted 'til yer ett.

Then, yer gots the grandaddy of 'em all. The Horse fly. Big, grey, maybe a little smaller than the top of yer thumb. Takes a lump just like the deer fly, but bigger. 'Bout the size of the inkspot left by a Sharpie.

But no snakes. 'Cept the timber rattlers, and they's polite. They let's yer know yer about ta get bit 'afore hand.

Alaska

Yup, there's just too many Canadians around here. :D The Alberta boys won the Gold Ulu and the Alaskan boys won silver. Same for the Alberta girls and Alaska girls. Yukon boys and Northwest Territory girls took the bronze medals.

Great games but more good Canadian hockey players than anyone could overcome. :)