The downfall of America has begun

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Yes but young children are going through puberty earlier and earlier, makes me think it is something to do with the way we are using chemicals, etc

Raven

Annoying SOB
Oestrogen (or is it progesterone) in the water from women on the pill taking a piss and it filtering through mebbe? Would also explain the steady decline in sperm counts since it was introduced

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Nixy said:
So, Gonz, the overall teen birth rate was lower when you were younger so it was OK for teen sex? Now that it is higher it is not OK?

Of course it wasn't OK. The problem stems from the sudden (last 20 years or so) encouragement of kid sex. Teaching our children the birds & the bee's never included lessons on condom use or fellatio techniques. That's what the streets were for. ;)

Preaching abstinence may be seen by some as stupid but it sure as shit worked. Follow the numbers, once these people got involved with taking sex ed from a biology class to a hands on experience class, the number of teen pregnancies, STDs & abortions shot thru the roof.

If it's broke, fix it.

Aunty Em

Maybe it would be better if you scared them with some facts like the increased incidence of conception of children with Down Sydrome and other genetic abnormalities to mothers in their teens?... Yes it's not just older women, but I've never seen it mentioned anywhere in sex education. Not to mention the increase in cervical cancer amongst women who become sexually active early... etc.

a13antichrist

steweygrrrr said:
[on topic]So you're saying if we hadnt invented religion, and BTW it was invented, we wouldnt be in this mess. Damn simple solution to all this if you ask me...[/on topic]

Yes, religion is at fault for a lot of our shit. That's not a solution though because it doesn't solve the problem - people are ingrained with that shit now and the only way to free them from it is to get people thinking for themselves instead of blindly following the pack - which is precisely the opposite of this abstinence campaign.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
The only solution to the problem is more and better education, not only at schools but also in the children's homes.

IMO, scaring them is a no no. Better to let them know the facts, advantages, disadvantages and risks of having an active sex life, and then let them decide on their own.

Camelyn

steweygrrrr said:
Oestrogen (or is it progesterone) in the water from women on the pill taking a piss and it filtering through mebbe? Would also explain the steady decline in sperm counts since it was introduced

The estrogen excreted in urine is in no measure greater in women taking the birth control pill than in women who do not, and in both cases the amounts are miniscule. There have been a few small (very small) studies that may indicate that exposure to environmental chemicals that have properties that mimic estrogen *may* cause early signs of puberty in girls (breast enlargement, pubic hair growth). However these studies did not see any significant change in the onset of the first menstrual cycle.
As an interesting side note, well, not if you're a guy maybe, there is much, much more evidence and many more studies out there to support the fact that environmental chemicals that inhibit androgens (male sex hormones) are causing fertility problems in men. Some studies say that the damage cause by these chemicals can be done even at the foetal stage, in the womb.

</science geek> :)

Aunty Em

Camelyn said:
The estrogen excreted in urine is in no measure greater in women taking the birth control pill than in women who do not, and in both cases the amounts are miniscule. There have been a few small (very small) studies that may indicate that exposure to environmental chemicals that have properties that mimic estrogen *may* cause early signs of puberty in girls (breast enlargement, pubic hair growth). However these studies did not see any significant change in the onset of the first menstrual cycle.
As an interesting side note, well, not if you're a guy maybe, there is much, much more evidence and many more studies out there to support the fact that environmental chemicals that inhibit androgens (male sex hormones) are causing fertility problems in men. Some studies say that the damage cause by these chemicals can be done even at the foetal stage, in the womb.

</science geek> :)

I believe there was a study done quite some time ago which found a correlation between body weight and early onset of puberty in females. Unfortunately I can't remember who did it or when.

Camelyn

Aunty Em said:
I believe there was a study done quite some time ago which found a correlation between body weight and early onset of puberty in females. Unfortunately I can't remember who did it or when.

Yep, and more studies have been done since that support these findings. Makes evolutionary sense really. If a girl is able to maintain a certain level of body fat, this means that she is well fed and taken care of, and therefore in a good situation to start reproducing. These environmental factors will stimulate the production of hormones that will advance the onset of puberty and the first menstruation. Of course, this does not in any way shape or form take into account mental or emotional preparedness for parenthood.

So, it ain't the female hormones in the environment causing early onset puberty and menstruation folks, it's McDonald’s, Burger King, and Taco bell :retard3:

Aunty Em

Talking of McDs... I was there this afternoon getting ice-cream for Katie and watched this family waddle over to their car and get in... I'm surprised the suspension didn't break! I mean, I'm big myself but that was repulsive! I felt really sorry for the kids... their father was still stuffing his face with chips as he drove off. :(

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Luis G said:
...and then let them decide on their own.

That is a non-parent speaking if I ever heard one. Too bad many sperm & egg donors call themselves parents.

OK Bobby, you never have to eat vegetables again. 12 year olsd know their own mind.

Susie, are you sure you don't ever want to go to school again? You're only 8.

Joanie swimming by yourself is not a good idea but as a 6 year old, you should be able to make up your own mind Be careful & have fun.

Lolita, as a 16 year old woman, you choice to fellate that stranger in the park was not a great choice. I'm not making judgements mind you, that would be bad. Next time, don't do it in the middle of the fountain.

Am I making my point?

a13antichrist

I would rather my 16yr old daughter fellate a stranger under the fountain than have her live a life of sexual repression, thinking that looking at herself in the mirror will damn her to hell.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
a13antichrist said:
I would rather my 16yr old daughter fellate a stranger under the fountain than have her live a life of sexual repression, thinking that looking at herself in the mirror will damn her to hell.

You associate abstinance in childhood with 17th century repression? You take shit even farther than I do. :rolleyes:

a13antichrist

I associate the methods proposed with ignorance in adulthood thus necessitating a reversion to fear methods to teach their children which, effectively, brings us back to 17th repression, yes.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The teaching of biological reproduction & then pushing for children to abstain from sex because they are neither psychologically nor societally ready is not the same as the Pope issuing a decree to martyr those in violation. Kids, especially today, are ill prepared to take on a responsibility in which they are neither prepared nor adapted. A 22 year old can do with their body as they chose. A 16 year old living under mom & dads (hopefullt both) roof, hasn't the means nor the ability to properly support & raise a child. Abortion, while an option, is certainly far more damaging to the psyche of a child, who does not understand the full ramifications of the procedure, than to a fully informed adult.

There's a reason children are not legally entitled nor allowed to make legal or medical decisions...they aren't mature enough to handle to consequences. It is however fully legal to make abortive choices? The idea is asinine. So is teaching them that X method of birth control is safe. NO IT'S NOT. No method is 100% effective against STDs & pregnancy. These are children. They still cry in their mommies arms when something goes awry. Don't burden them with adult decisions & don't let them think you approve of sex before adulthood (marriage for some). Our children follow the tide of our values. Raise the level & they will also rise.

freako104

cant control them forevrer. they will have to and will make their own choices. better to let them know the consequnces of their actions. id rather my kids were monogamous and had only one sexual partner but i know the reality is that they wont. so ill tell them the consequnces and also support them in any way i can. its how my parents raised myt sis and i.

Aunty Em

You've forgotten peer pressure... which sadly seems to be considerably more influencial than parents these days... *sigh*

freako104

possibly. but parents can still have an effect if they try to relate to the kids. not every parent does. and yes peer pressure can have an effect but its not as stromg as you might suspect(not saying it isnt strong just saying that its given more credit than it probably should)