The Life-and-Death Cost of Gun Control

spike

Oh please bring the washine machine. Washing machines and guns are practically the same thing.

If you don't use your washing machine in a crime then we are safe from your poorly aimed bullets.

2minkey

bootlicker
beats being empty handed, but no

pistol_m9_500.jpg

wow, that gun is really tough!!! the chicks must dig you.

you carry one of them concealed? you must be a very big man.

jimpeel

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_8694736

How about something more recent, Jim?

Yes, I know the story of the AD on the aircraft. No harm no foul and the guy was disciplined.

There is nothing more recent because the Postal Service requirement that pilots be armed was rescinded. There is also nothing more recent because this is the only hijacking ever stopped by a pilot on an aircraft. I guess I could do what you do and simply make something up but then my credibility would match yours.

The mail was not hand carried by pilots after the mid sixties because of the increase of the volume of airmail by the public.

jimpeel

a 15 year old, single 'highjacker' no less...

That is what an anti-firearms Liberal hack would see.

What a thinking person sees is a human being, regardless of age, armed with a .357 Magnum, and fully capable of dealing out injury and death, prevented from doing so by another person through the use of a firearm.

Your problem is you take the passivist role <hands on cheeks>"But he's just a boy!"

This kid is "Just a boy". http://kdka.com/national/boy.double.murder.2.860083.html

GrandCaravanSE

What a thinking person sees is a human being, regardless of age, armed with a .357 Magnum, and fully capable of dealing out injury and death, prevented from doing so by another person through the use of a firearm.

Your problem is you take the passivist role <hands on cheeks>"But he's just a boy!"

This kid is "Just a boy". http://kdka.com/national/boy.double.murder.2.860083.html

How the fuck did he get the gun, that kid has some serious problems,such as mental problems.

MrBishop

Lemme see if I can make it more clear for you...clear out a few cobwebs while I'm at it.

A SINGLE teenager vs. MULTIPLE highjackers.
One target vs. several targets
One untrained kid with a gun vs. several well-trained adults with weapons

I'm not a passivist. More of a realist.

MrBishop

Yes, I know the story of the AD on the aircraft. No harm no foul and the guy was disciplined.

There is nothing more recent because the Postal Service requirement that pilots be armed was rescinded. There is also nothing more recent because this is the only hijacking ever stopped by a pilot on an aircraft.

Perhaps not the best way to go, then?

I guess I could do what you do and simply make something up but then my credibility would match yours.
You'd do well to aspire to my level of credibility, Jim. You should try it sometime.

I'll wait.

H2O boy

safe from your poorly aimed bullets.

assume much?

oh, forgot who i was talking to for a second there. carry on

junior said:
wow, that gun is really tough!!! the chicks must dig you.

you carry one of them concealed? you must be a very big man.

ignorant on guns much?

oh, forgot who i was talking to for a second there. carry on

offer still stands

JTP

Hey, I like my firearms, and don't want them regulated by the Gov, but let's inject a little realism here. If you are outside of your home and someone's out to mug you with a gun, they are going to have the drop on you. Not only that, but you are likely to be outnumbered as well. If they are serious (and we can assume they are, if they're armed), and you make a grab for your piece, they are going to shoot you. No criminal is going to give you a "fair chance" to draw Old Western Movie style with them. If you go around armed, you're either going to get shot, or the thug(s) will take your weapon in addition to your money, watch, et cetera. The best place honest citizens can keep their weapons is at home-for home defense-where you have an advantage because you're in familiar surroundings. Hopefully, you will be alerted to a break-in and able to get your weapon before they get in, but even that is iffy. I've been mugged out in public twice and glad I wasn't armed, because I'd either have been dead or relieved of a valuable handgun in both situations. Just being realistic.

GrandCaravanSE

Hey, I like my firearms, and don't want them regulated by the Gov, but let's inject a little realism here. If you are outside of your home and someone's out to mug you with a gun, they are going to have the drop on you. Not only that, but you are likely to be outnumbered as well. If they are serious (and we can assume they are, if they're armed), and you make a grab for your piece, they are going to shoot you. No criminal is going to give you a "fair chance" to draw Old Western Movie style with them. If you go around armed, you're either going to get shot, or the thug(s) will take your weapon in addition to your money, watch, et cetera. The best place honest citizens can keep their weapons is at home-for home defense-where you have an advantage because you're in familiar surroundings. Hopefully, you will be alerted to a break-in and able to get your weapon before they get in, but even that is iffy. I've been mugged out in public twice and glad I wasn't armed, because I'd either have been dead or relieved of a valuable handgun in both situations. Just being realistic.

that is a good realisic answer, you are right no slef respecting theif is going to let you get your gun out and have a duel.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Allright..the last two were a bit over the top, but gun ownership isn't the be all and end all of RIGHTS.

It most certainly is. When the government fears it's own citizens, the battle is half over.

jimpeel

Lemme see if I can make it more clear for you...clear out a few cobwebs while I'm at it.

A SINGLE teenager vs. MULTIPLE highjackers.
One target vs. several targets
One untrained kid with a gun vs. several well-trained adults with weapons

I'm not a passivist. More of a realist.

Then let me edify you with some reality.

The multiple hijackers had box cutters, not handguns. The fifteen-year-old was armed with a .357 magnum revolver.

Are you aware that the firearm being carried by the pilot in 1954, and those being carried by pilots today, were capable of firing more than a single shot?

The cockpit door is ~20" wide and only one person at a time can go through it. There is not enough room for the bad guys to swarm the cockpit. They also have to make a whole lot of noise trying to smash through the door, thus alerting those on the other side to their intentions, giving ample time for the pilot, co-pilot, and navigator to arm themselves and be ready.

If you need more reality, just ask.

jimpeel

Perhaps not the best way to go, then?

The Israelis swear by it; and they have armed their airline personnel for years. Seen any Israeli planes hijacked in the past twenty years?

You'd do well to aspire to my level of credibility, Jim. You should try it sometime.

I'll wait.

I don't have to wait. Do you count as credibility your contentions that:

a) Alaska was part of Canada

and that:

b) Obama never stated he didn't want his daughters punished with a baby

It seems to me that one of the people who slapped you with the truth was <drumroll> ME.

We're not speaking about misspellings and typos. We're speaking about totally false contentions posted by you as fact.

jimpeel

Another victory for firearms carriers

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=4251

National Parks to Allow Right-to-Carry

Friday, December 05, 2008

The U.S. Department of the Interior (DOI), through the National Park Service and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, has announced the final amended version of its changes to rules on carrying of firearms in national parks and wildlife refuges. DOI’s move will restore the rights of law-abiding gun owners who wish to transport and carry firearms for lawful purposes on most DOI lands, and will make federal law consistent with the state law in which these public lands are located. NRA led the effort to amend the existing policy regarding the carrying and transportation of firearms on these federal lands.

“Today’s announcement by the U.S. Department of the Interior brings clarity and uniformity for law-abiding gun owners visiting our national parks,” said NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox. “We are pleased that the Interior Department recognizes the right of law-abiding citizens to protect themselves and their families while enjoying America's National Parks and wildlife refuges.”

DOI announced the rule change today and will publish the new regulations in the Federal Register. The new regulations allow right-to-carry permit holders to exercise their Second Amendment rights on national park and wildlife refuges in those states that recognize such permits. The move will provide consistency across our nation’s federal lands and put an end to the patchwork of regulations that governed different lands managed by different federal agencies. In the past, Bureau of Land Management and Forest Service lands allowed the carrying of firearms, while lands managed by DOI did not.

NRA has long held that amendments to those regulations were needed to reflect the changed legal situations with respect to state laws on carrying firearms. Earlier this year, fifty-one U.S. Senators sent a strong bipartisan letter to the DOI supporting the move to make state firearms laws applicable to national park lands and refuges.

“These changes respect the Second Amendment rights of honest citizens as they enjoy our public lands,” concluded Cox. “We applaud the Interior Department’s efforts to amend these out of date regulations.”

Copyright 2008, National Rifle Association of America, Institute for Legislative Action.
This may be reproduced. It may not be reproduced for commercial purposes.

jimpeel

If you shoot a revolver, you just need to shoot and reload as fast as THIS GUY

or, if you shoot an auto, reload as fast as THIS GUY

Personally, I like THIS double-tap special. Puts two rounds, on target, CoM.

JTP

If you shoot a revolver, you just need to shoot and reload as fast as THIS GUY

That is impressive- double action with speed loaders. Speed alone isn't impressive, but that guy has accuracy as well.
My revolver is a single action .45 with 7.5" barrel. Hammer-cock for each shot and very slow to reload, but accurate at a greater distance than most pistols. Target shooting is great fun! Don't forget your hearing protection, though- my instructor is nearly deaf. Also for newbies- clean your weapon after every session. A few months ago we had a guy on the range whose automatic exploded in his hand. It turns out the lazy twit hadn't cleaned it but once or twice in the 3 or 4 years he owned it. Didn't lose any fingers, but shook him and everyone else up pretty good!