The New Pontiac G8

Altron

And I thought you only needed to bump the car to 6000rpm, use special fuel, be at sea level and meet a bunch of other requirements to squeeze the advertised power ;) :D

And remove the engine from the car and measure the power at the flywheel, since the power at the wheels is usually only ~80% of the power at the flywheel.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Heh - I had an '85 Celebrity too. It was a good car. You are right, the seats were quite comfy.

Nixy, ask my Florida Highway Patrol friend why some people prefer big cars. He was working a detail that required him to follow a road striping machine in a work zone on the interstate with his blue lights flashing to slow traffic. A tractor trailer truck couldn't slow down in time to keep from running into a work truck and tried to swerve off the road and into the weeds.

He slammed into the back of Milton's Ford Crown Victoria cruiser at an estimated 50 mph. The trunk of the cruiser was completely obliterated. The rear bumper was pushed up under the back window, and the back seat was crushed against the back of the front seat. Milton's most serious injury was a broken arm. Pics and story here. I don't think anybody could survive such an impact in a compact car.

This is why I drive a Mercury Grand Marquis (identical to a Crown Vic except for cosmetic differences).

And the De Sade option...:D

Inkara1

And remove the engine from the car and measure the power at the flywheel, since the power at the wheels is usually only ~80% of the power at the flywheel.

Remove all accessories, too... a/c compressor, alternator, power steering, etc. Then you have "gross" horsepower.

Altron

and they more recently tightened it up. still, so many variables, plus the same car can dyno a wide range of numbers, depending on the type of dyno, the gear it was run in, etc.

fuck horsepower estimates, give me 1/4 mile times.

Professur

Well, you may be right regarding the car comparisons but in terms of one having a better driver...I was comparing their handling with me driving both of them. Last winter was the first time my mom had snow tires so the comparison is coming from me driving my car with snow tires last winter (have the snow tires on again this year but haven't had any bad weather yet really) and me driving my mom's car last march when I was in Ontario...so, there should be no driver variance and her snow tires are good tires too.

Even you just carhopping is enough difference. Give it a week of driving the cavalier and you'd match up more evenly, but even with my nearly 25 years behind various wheels, I still have to take it easy when I hop from the Colt to the Caravan and back.

GrandCaravanSE

Even you just carhopping is enough difference. Give it a week of driving the cavalier and you'd match up more evenly, but even with my nearly 25 years behind various wheels, I still have to take it easy when I hop from the Colt to the Caravan and back.

That is the only reason i have only one car. i hate to adjust to different cars. i remeber when i first started driving i drove my dads Astro van, my mom's Jeep, and my Step moms honda, every time i drove it was like i was learning all over agian. plus the shift lever was in the different position every time.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member

I did drive the Cavalier for a week...I didn't like it. I'm going home for 16 days this Christmas, I'll report back to you in January about whether or not at the end of that time I still saw a difference in the handling.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
and they more recently tightened it up. still, so many variables, plus the same car can dyno a wide range of numbers, depending on the type of dyno, the gear it was run in, etc.

fuck horsepower estimates, give me 1/4 mile times.

Same problem, is the track flat, is it at sea level, are they using special fuel, are they running the car without any accessories, etc

GrandCaravanSE

Same problem, is the track flat, is it at sea level, are they using special fuel, are they running the car without any accessories, etc

Estimates are the way to go, unless you want to specific on what accessories are running at one time and how much horse power they use each.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I did drive the Cavalier for a week...I didn't like it. I'm going home for 16 days this Christmas, I'll report back to you in January about whether or not at the end of that time I still saw a difference in the handling.

I went home for 16 days last Christmas, as stated, and drove her car fairly regularly. Including city and highway driving in snow. I still maintain that the Cavalier is a piece of crap in the snow, even with the good snow tires. That said, there were no close calls or anything of the sort but it doesn't handle as well as the G5.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I went home for 16 days last Christmas, as stated, and drove her car fairly regularly. Including city and highway driving in snow. I still maintain that the Cavalier is a piece of crap in the snow, even with the good snow tires. That said, there were no close calls or anything of the sort but it doesn't handle as well as the G5.
You need to put sandbags/kitty litter in the trunk. It's better then.