The PC police are alive and well

jimpeel

Now they have edited the most famous Christmas poem in history. This woman took the reference to Santa smoking a pipe out of the poem. It's "for the cjhildren" after all.

SOURCE

Santa doesn’t smoke a pipe in PC rewrite of 'Twas the Night'

• By SUSANNAH CAHALAN
  • Last Updated: 10:26 AM, October 14, 2012
  • Posted: 1:44 AM, October 14, 2012
It’s a holiday classic Mayor Bloomberg would love.

A sanitized version of “A Visit from St. Nicholas” edits out all references to Santa Claus’ pipe habit — and critics say it’s yet another example of political correctness run amok.

A one-woman vice squad — self-published Canadian author Pamela McColl — kicked St. Nick’s butt habit in a new version of the beloved poem about “the night before Christmas.”

McColl deleted two verses — “The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth/and the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath”— and hired an illustrator to redraw Santa without his pipe and halo of tobacco haze.

“No one can backtrack now,” McColl crowed to The Post. “Santa has stopped smoking, and 2012 is the year he quit, and there’s nothing anyone can do about it.”

But not everyone is celebrating Kris Kringle going cold turkey after 189 years.

“Leave my story alone! This change is not officially sanctioned by the North Pole,” said Nicholas Trolli, president of the Amalgamated Order of Real Bearded Santas.

Critics wonder if the meddling willl stop at a smokeless Santa.

“Maybe they should talk about the fact that he’s also overweight and that he probably drinks,” griped Jackie Blackwell, “chief elf” and owner of a Canadian Christmas store.

Literary-minded critics accuse McColl of censoring history.

The poem — which is widely attributed to Clement Moore — was first published anonymously on Dec. 23, 1823, in the Sentinel newspaper in upstate Troy. It is considered one of the most famous poems in the English language and the first to present Santa as we know him now: “chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,” who slides down chimneys carrying presents — and smokes a pipe.

“It’s denying access to the original voice of the author, and that's censorship,” said Deborah Caldwell-Stone, of the American Library Association, who likened McColl’s alteration to an Alabama publisher’s controversial purging last year of “indecent” language in “Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.”

Children would be better served to be taught to think critically instead of “hoping for a magic solution by taking away Santa’s pipe,” said Svetlana Mintcheva, director of programs at The National Coalition Against Censorship.

Trolli says the original text presents modern-day Santas with a valuable teaching moment.

“We use the opportunity to tell kids that Santa used to smoke but Miss Claus made him quit,” he said. “So we are telling our Santas to continue using the original version of the book.”

But McColl — who has spent $200,000 of her own money printing 55,500 copies in English, Spanish and French — believes her book will do more good than harm.

“I don’t care how you like your classics,” she said about her detractors. “I care about your children.”

Blackwell was angered enough to send this e-mail to McColl:
“The original and only version of this wonderful verse hangs in my shop and will remain there. I have no interest in your books,” Blackwell wrote. “So for the record, ‘You can put that in your pipe and smoke it.’ ”

What Xmas vices will the PC police tackle next?
* Santa’s new snack: Soy milk; gluten-free cookies.

* Instead of “Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!” Santa says, “Happy holidays to all — or not, if you don’t celebrate one.”

* A moratorium on elf-made toys, because it’s basically child labor.

* “The Vertically Challenged Drummer Person”

* Melty, the Global Warming Slushman

[email protected]

jimpeel

As my sig line says:

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
-- C.S. Lewis

jimpeel

Another article, this one from the Canadian "National Post".

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/0...ght-before-christmas-take-away-st-nicks-pipe/

I love the rendition of "A PC night before Christmas".

A PC night before Christmas
Twas the night before Christmas [the 25th of December during the holiday season], when all through the house [abode, since many in the 99% are too poor to live in a house]

Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse [say, Mickey, who is not frightening to children].

The stockings [leg coverings, ‘stockings’ may be an inappropriate visual image to some readers] were hung by the chimney [a safe distance from the chimney, check your local fire code] with care,
In hopes that St Nicholas [Santa Claus, Kris Kringle, Father Christms, Ded Moroz, Hoteiosho, Baba Chaghaloo et al] soon would be there.

The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of sugar-plums [sugar-free plums] danced in their heads.
And mamma in her ‘kerchief, and I in my cap,
Had just settled our brains for a long winter’s nap.

When out on the lawn [equitably shared public parkland] there arose such a clatter [sound that does not violate Noise Abatement Bylaw 324],
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.

Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.

The moon on the breast [chest] of the new-fallen snow
Gave the lustre of mid-day to objects below.

When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a miniature sleigh, and eight tiny [free-range] reindeer
With a little [vertically challenged] old [senior] driver, so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment it must be St Nick [see above for multicultural appelations].

More rapid than eagles his coursers [unfairly assumes knowledge of old English, therefore: a fast-running horse-like creature] they came,
And he whistled, and shouted [spoke respectfully], and called them by name!

“Now Dasher! now, Dancer! now, Prancer and Vixen [Vivian, as Vixen carries with it negative connotations]!
On, Comet! On, Cupid [Cindy, as Cupid connotes nude babies bearing weapons]! on Donner and Blitzen!
To the top of the porch! to the top of the wall!
Now [please] dash away! [Please] Dash away! [Please] Dash away all!”

As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky.
So up to the house-top the coursers [horse-like creatures] they flew,
With the sleigh full of toys [made from recyclables or renewable resources], and St Nicholas [see above] too.

And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the [green and solar-panel equipped] roof
The prancing and pawing of each little hoof.
As I drew in my head, and was turning around,
Down the chimney St Nicholas [see above] came with a bound.

He was dressed all in [fake] fur, from his head to his foot,
And his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot.
A bundle of toys he had flung on his back,
And he looked like a peddler [person, peddler is insulting to ultra-small-business retailers], just opening his pack.

His eyes — how they twinkled! His dimples how merry!
His cheeks were like roses [carnations, which are thorn-less], his nose like a cherry [as a result of hypoallergenic makeup, as opposed to alcohol or sunburn]!
His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
And the beard of his chin was as white [Euro-American] as the snow.

The stump of a pipe [tree] he held tight in his teeth [gloved hand],
And the smoke [greenhouse gas, against which the tree can no longer fight because it was thoughtlessly cut down] it encircled his head like a wreath.
He had a broad face and a little round belly [taut rack of abdominal muscles shaped through consistent exercise and proper diet],
That shook [rippled] when he laughed, like a bowlful of jelly [steel]!

He was chubby and plump [fit and trim], a right
jolly old [senior] elf [little person],
And I laughed [with him, not about him] when I saw him, in spite of myself!
A [non-harassing] wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread.

He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
And filled all the stockings [leg coverings], then turned with a jerk [annoying person, oh wait, ignore that one].
And laying his finger aside of his nose,
And giving a nod, up the chimney he rose [carnation, see above]!

He sprang to his sleigh, to his team [partners or colleagues] gave a whistle,
And away they all flew like the down of a[n] [organic] thistle.
But I heard him exclaim, ‘ere he drove out of sight,
“Happy Christmas [Happy holidays] to all [except those who choose not to be holiday-season positive], and to all a good night!”

National Post

Winky

nxvtah.jpg

for Pamela Anderson
2wducg3.jpg