The Problem With Gated Communities

MrBishop

"You can always complain to the city about your neighbours' crap on their lawn. They're pretty good at replying."- Mr. Bishop

Ah, you see? That's the difference! When you live in a city, or the overgrown sprawl of Suburbia, and the "crap on your neighbor's lawn" offends you, your first resort is to complain to the local "officials". That should be the last resort..

You gotta know me more t'understand, but it would be a last resort..for me and the majority of my neighbours...to call the cops first, even for things like loud parties etc...

It's easier to do it yourself than to involve 'the man'.... but if the problematic neighbour is pig-headed about it, or unavailable, the city can step in on your behalf.

JTP

You gotta know me more t'understand, but it would be a last resort..for me and the majority of my neighbours...to call the cops first, even for things like loud parties etc...

It's easier to do it yourself than to involve 'the man'.... but if the problematic neighbour is pig-headed about it, or unavailable, the city can step in on your behalf.

Aye, I guess we have to have official enforcers. My hat is off to you all who have to live in cities and big towns. It must require a lot of patience and tolerance. The noise level alone would drive me crazy, not to mention having to interact with so many people constantly. I guess the rural places are reserves for us misanthropic people who prefer peace and quiet. Solitude is great, most of the time. For me at least.
Something awakened me early this morning- it turned out to be an armadillo digging in the ground outside my window. It was digging in a fire ant bed. I left it to it's work and went back to a peaceful sleep. :sleep:

MrBishop

Aye, I guess we have to have official enforcers. My hat is off to you all who have to live in cities and big towns. It must require a lot of patience and tolerance. The noise level alone would drive me crazy, not to mention having to interact with so many people constantly. I guess the rural places are reserves for us misanthropic people who prefer peace and quiet. Solitude is great, most of the time. For me at least.
Something awakened me early this morning- it turned out to be an armadillo digging in the ground outside my window. It was digging in a fire ant bed. I left it to it's work and went back to a peaceful sleep. :sleep:
I'm more of a quiet suburb kinda guy. I couldn't live in the big city..not with kids, anyway. I have parks galore, some nice long bike/walk trails, and the sound of kids laughing and horsing around.

I've thought about buying a hobby farm, but those'd take me pretty far away from where I work. I have a 45min-1hr drive to work each morning...long enough, thanks :p

Armadillos, eh. All I have to compare is skunks, coons and the odd deer.

JTP

I'm more of a quiet suburb kinda guy. I couldn't live in the big city..not with kids, anyway. I have parks galore, some nice long bike/walk trails, and the sound of kids laughing and horsing around.

I've thought about buying a hobby farm, but those'd take me pretty far away from where I work. I have a 45min-1hr drive to work each morning...long enough, thanks :p

Armadillos, eh. All I have to compare is skunks, coons and the odd deer.

Armadillos- an "invader specie" but it didn't invade- brought in by humans. They are supposed to carry leprosy, but I like 'em- they eat fire ants and yellowjacket larvae- more power to 'em. And we all need a little more leprosy, anyway.
Q: What did the leper say to the hooker?
A: "Keep the tip"! :elaugh3:
Ah, skunks- useful critters to have around. Who needs a fancy security system when you have polecats on the property?
My Grandpa used to say- "It's a test of intelligence for man or beast- who will mess with a polecat more than once"?
Raccoons are the ultimate survivor mammal. I love and respect them.
Odd deer? In what way? I've seen and eaten quite a few, but they all seemed fairly normal to me. :rofl2:

JTP

I've thought about buying a hobby farm, but those'd take me pretty far away from where I work. I have a 45min-1hr drive to work each morning...long enough, thanks

A "hobby farm"- there's a concept! Thanks! The little accountant in my brain says, "Yeah- you can rent out the Back Forty to City Folk who want to pay for a bit of solitude and fresh homegrown produce"!
That would work until deer hunting season, when it sounds like a small war around here- attorneys, judges, and other shysters love to come out here and blast away at Bambi.

JTP

"I have a 45min-1hr drive to work each morning...long enough, thanks "

Jeezus, that means 8 hours of work plus 2 hours commute= 10 hours, not to mention gasoline, wear&tear on the vehicle every day. Is there no limit to what a human being can tolerate?

Professur

Jeezus, that means 8 hours of work plus 2 hours commute= 10 hours, not to mention gasoline, wear&tear on the vehicle every day. Is there no limit to what a human being can tolerate?

Mine used to be worse. 1hr inbound, 1.5+ back home. If all went well. Several times during winter, it took 75 minutes .. to cross one overpass.

Oh, just FYI ... that was a 20KM drive each way.

MrBishop

Mine used to be worse. 1hr inbound, 1.5+ back home. If all went well. Several times during winter, it took 75 minutes .. to cross one overpass.

Oh, just FYI ... that was a 20KM drive each way.

Feh...
With my first child...we were getting my in-laws and my folks to keep him instead of daycare, from age 1 - 2 1/2

In the case of my inlaws - it was drive to Montreal, drop him off, drive back to the 'shore' where I worked, then back to pick him up in the afternoon, and back to the 'shore' where I also live. About 3 1/2 to 4hrs/day.

Inkara1

Q: What did the leper say to the hooker?
A: "Keep the tip"! :elaugh3:

I'm sure you already heard about the Lepers playing the hockey game... they had to stop the game after there was a face off in the corner.

Also, if someone is about to speak to an audience of lepers, when you tell them to applaud, it's probably not best to say, "give him a hand."

MrBishop

I've thought about buying a hobby farm, but those'd take me pretty far away from where I work. I have a 45min-1hr drive to work each morning...long enough, thanks

A "hobby farm"- there's a concept! Thanks! The little accountant in my brain says, "Yeah- you can rent out the Back Forty to City Folk who want to pay for a bit of solitude and fresh homegrown produce"!
That would work until deer hunting season, when it sounds like a small war around here- attorneys, judges, and other shysters love to come out here and blast away at Bambi.
More of a term for a smaller plot of land where you 'play' at farming instead of farming for a living. Get yourself a few chickens, pig, horses etc..and a small mixed-crop...and there ya go.

Frodo

In a lot of areas, even ones that aren't gated, you need to join the HOA as part of buying the house - it isn't optional.

If I buy a piece of land, it is mine to do what I damn well please on it. That's why my great great great great great grandfather fought the redcoats in 1776!

If you don't want to be in a HOA, don't buy a house in an HOA......"yeah, but, all the other houses are in crappy neiborhoods.":tardbang:

Speaking of people telling other how to live....Hey, Minkey, how's that dish detergent you guys are using?

spike

If you don't want to be in a HOA, don't buy a house in an HOA......"yeah, but, all the other houses are in crappy neiborhoods.":tardbang:

Shit, the nicest houses around the city here aren't in any HOA.

But even then you have the Demonicrat asses trying to tell you how to live.

Retardicans like to tell people how to live just as much and probably more. ;)

Altron

Don't start this name-calling bullshit again, either of you.

In some areas near me, a lot of the newer developments have HOAs mandatory. My parents don't, because it was built in the 60s or 70s, but many of the ones built in the 90s and 00s have mandatory HOAs.

2minkey

bootlicker
yeah me too! it's nice to be able to walk 50 meters to replenish when i run out of pine nuts or cheap drinkin' grade pinot grigiot.

and i'm really loving my environmentally-friendly fancylad dishwashing detergent! golly i just wanna run right out and buy some legwarmers and then just move, move, move my body. want some video frodo?

JTP

I love living in the city! :grinyes:

Hey, I remember that song!

Verse 1:
My house smells just like a zoo
It's chock full of shit and puke
Cockroaches on the walls
Grass growing on my balls
oh well im so clean cut
and I just want to fuck some slut

Chorus:
I love living in the city

Verse 2:
Ive spent my whole life in the city
where junk is king and the air smells shity
people puking everywhere
piles of blood, scabs, and hair
bodies wasted and disease
young people dieing on the streets
but the suberban scumbags they dont care
they just get fat and die theyre hair

Chorus:

by Fear Cult :trippin:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
No no no...

Foghat said:
Goin' to the city, got you on my mind,
Country sure is pretty, I'll leave it all behind,
This is my decision, I'm comin' home to stay this time.

'Cause I'm a fool for the city, I'm a fool for the city,
Fool for the city, I'm a fool for the city.

Breathin' all the clean air, sittin' in the sun,
When I get my train fare, I'll get up and run.
I'm ready for the city, air pollution here I come!

I'm a fool for the city, I'm a fool for the city.

I'm like a fish out of water, I'm just a man in a hole.
The city lights turn my blues into gold.
I ain't no country boy, I'm just a homesick man.
I'm gonna hit the grit just as fast as I can.

I'm tired of layin' back, hangin' around,
I'm gonna catch that train, then I'll be city bound.

I ain't no country boy, I'm just a homesick man.
I'm gonna hit the grit just as fast as I can.

I'll get off on Main Street, step into the crowd,
Sidewalk under my feet, yeah, traffic's good and loud.
When I see my inner city child, I'll be walkin' on a cloud.

I'm a fool for the city, I'm a fool for the city...
I'm a fool, (Fool for the city) A fool for the city, (Fool for the city)
I'm a fool, (Fool for the city) A fool for the city, (Fool for the city)
I'm a fool, (Fool for the city) A crazy fool, (Fool for the city)

I'm a fool yea, (Fool for the city) A fool for the city, (Fool for the city)
(Fool for the city) (Fool for the city)
I ain't no country boy, woo! (Fool for the city) (Fool for the city)
Woo! (Fool for the city) (Fool for the city)
A Fool for the city (Fool for the city) (Fool for the city)
Whoo! (Fool for the city) (Fool for the city) ...