The real reason for the decline in the polar bear population

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Professur, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Professur I'm just a fungii. Well-Known Member

source

So much for the experts
  2. spike New Member

Sounds like the novices guessed wrong and the experts found the real gender.
  3. Gonz Founding Member and Vast molṑn labé

Just another reason to trust the experts.
  4. Gato_Solo Bard of Mary Kay Out-freaking-standing OTC member

Which set? The ones who sexed the cub in infancy, or the casual observers who got it right watching the bears urinate?
  5. Gonz Founding Member and Vast molṑn labé

I'll give you 3 guesses & the first two don't count.
  6. jimpeel Well-Known Member

Apparently, they do much better in the wild.

SOURCE

7. valkyrie exile Well-Known Member

I suspect that the population of polar bears is shifting their hunting territory and this is only noticed by the folks who live there full-time, permanently, and have the opportunity to observe the polar bears on a regular basis. Environmental researchers have notoriously poor budgets to work with and don't conduct continuous surveys.

Keep in mind that the hunting industry in Alaska and North Canada is a very lucrative business, and for some communities it is one of the few employers. So take this article with a grain of salt and skepticism. Everyone has an agenda, and I mean both sides.

Continuation of reasonable hunting quotas is important in preserving our environment. Especially true when pelts are getting $15K a pop or more. Remember that it is widely believed within the scientific community that Clovis Man caused directly or indirectly the extinction of many large mammals on this (North/Central/South America) and other continents. There were no hunting quotas back then.
  8. Professur I'm just a fungii. Well-Known Member

or ....

source
  9. catocom Person of Interest Well-Known Member

I heard there actually is no decline.
    There's actually an increase.:shrug: