The Retrosexual Code

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I'd like a man who's chivalrous. It used to offend me and I didn't want any man to do anything for me that I could do for myself, I had something to prove...I was tough and I needed everyone to knwo it. Now I spend all day every day putting men (contractors) in their place and holding my own around male co-workers...and I'm fully comfortable in the fact that I CAN hold my own around the roughest of the rough men...when I come home I want a bit of a break...I know I CAN take care of myself but I kinda want someone who wants to do things like open the door for me, rub my feet, draw me a bath...I guess I'm one extreme to another.

BlurOfSerenity

I think of it just as good manners. For example, you're about to intersect with an old man while walking. Do you stop to let the old man walk freely? If so, can such an act imply that the old man is inferior? No. Is the old man capable of stopping to let you pass? Sure. Should he/she be mad at you? Definitely not.

The final question is why you stopped to let him go first? Yes, because he is old, and there's nothing wrong with it.

i stop to let him walk, but because it is polite. i'd do it for anyone, whether they were old or young, male or female.

BlurOfSerenity

and if i stopped to let him go, but he stopped to let ME go, then i would go, but just because getting into "no, i insist!" "no, I INSIST!" back and forth is irritating! lol

edit: and also because he is allowed to be nice to me, too. but if it's because i'm a chick... i would feel weird. i'd still do it because he is presumably a stranger and i don't want to get into it with a stranger... but yeah.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
i stop to let him walk, but because it is polite. i'd do it for anyone, whether they were old or young, male or female.

That's fine, but you gotta admit that it is easier to be polite to certain group of people, like the eldery.

chcr

Too cute for words
That's fine, but you gotta admit that it is easier to be polite to certain group of people, like the eldery.

It's easier to be polite to everyone, at least up to the point where they prove that they don't deserve the consideration. :shrug:

Altron

A few of the girls I'm friends with have this thing about not letting guys hold the door for them. It doesn't bother me, but it surprises me, because they will do the actual 'hold the door and have you walk in first' instead of the usual 'walk in, but push the door open behind you for the next person thing'. When I'm hanging out with guys, nobody will just stop to hold a door open, and when I'm with my girlfriend, I always hold the door open for her. So when someone holds the door open for me, it just surprises me, and for a moment I don't know what to do.

chcr

Too cute for words
I hold the door open for pretty much everyone, although I will sometimes comment if a guy walks through the door before all the women have (especially the woman he's with). No skin off my nose being the last one through.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I'm all for being polite to everyone, and I am. But I am more polite towards certain group of people. :srhug: