The time quickly approacheth

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
...but not quickly enough!

I got fishin fever again. Couldn't go at all last year due to brushes with death and such.

We had us a drought last year, so the local trout stream all but dried up. Hopefully it'll be better this year.

I got to readin up on fly fishin some last week. I wanna learn. My dad has a fly rod, so I asked him if he'd teach me the basics. He glared at me, and said, "They's a fly rod down in the basement if you want the damn thing. It ain't all that hard to do, I can show you how to cast it and work the line, and you take it. I don't want anything to do with it no more."

O.......K. Score one fly rod I guess.

I have some flies for it I bought at yard sales and such. Plenty of time to dry cast in the yard and such to get the technique down some.

So then the discussion turned to a familiar topic. See, for about eight years now we have been taking turns talking the other one out of buying a boat. Neither of us can swim, so that's one concern. I said something about it the other night, about whether my brother-in-law might let me use his jet ski to fish off of a couple of times. He said it'd be awful hard to fish off one of them, so I replied that it would be, and that a boat would be easier. Nothing fancy, just a little aluminum johnboat with enough motor to get away from shore, anchor in, and fish. Something light, so my aged truck could easily tow it and one person could launch and land it without too much trouble.

He bit.

I start moonlighting again Monday. Think I'll set back a little over half what I think we'd need for the boat/motor/trailer, plus life jackets and a couple oars. Should be able to do that by the time a body'd want to be on the lake. This man could find a new Mercedes for $500 with enough time to look, so I'll leave the search to him.

Meanwhile, I wonder if I could slip up the creek tomorrow and find them fish...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
from what I hear-
The two happiest days of a mans life....

The day he buys his first boat.
The day he sells it.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I've heard that too. And it may prove out. But given that all we're getting is a glorified tin can with a minibike motor, I'll risk it.

JJR512

I'm curious to know what a simple little aluminum boat like that costs. Plus a basic motor. I really have no idea...I mean, I don't know if it'd be more like $500 or $5,000.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I'm just starting to look myself. The ol' man seems to think he can find a used one in good shape, 14' boat motor and trailer, for under $500. He knows a lot of people, and usually one of 'em is either selling or kin to somebody that IS selling most anything a man could want. We'll scour the trading papers too, never know...

I've seen 'em at Bass Pro (which is the worst place in the world to price stuff like this) for around $225 boat only. I think they were 10 or 12' boats though.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I've seen used floating tin cans with mini-bike motors for $500. Improve the quality of the tin &/or get better engines & the cost inflates....
It seems that used, around here, average about $1500....just passing them on the side of the road.

Professur

You can get waterborne for a few hundred, but real comfort costs thousands. Motivation for those boats is easily thousands more, particularly given that 150hp is the standard for getting in and out of a larger lake. Small area fishing can be pleasant in something like a Mosquito, which is pretty much a floating chair with rod holders replacing the cup holders. I like a nice bass boat with storage and livewells. Enough ballast to ensure that walking the deck doesn't spill anyone overboard.

TexasRaceLady

My grandfather owned several boats in his lifetime --- he always told me
"A boat is a hole in the water into which you throw money". LOL

Just make sure of the motor before buying --- those things can eat your lunch if they have to be repaired.

Professur

if? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA You funny.

Motors require maintenance. Far more than your car even. Getting a tow when your motor fails takes a little more than walking to the next exit and calling CAA.

SnP, I agree, but taking 2-3 kids out in a bathtub isn't fun for anyone. Drop a spoon and every fish for 100 miles heads for cover. A nice fibreglass hull with a carpeted deck keeps the sound above water. As I told Gonz when we discussed camping ... roughing it is fine for us .... but expecting kids to take the same pleasure we do from it is nuts.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I'm not fishing now because in TN annual licenses expire at the end of February. I didn't get one last year because I knew I wouldn't be able to go enough times to recoup the expense, what with medical procedures and all that. I ain't forkin over $46 for two weeks of fishin.

W the elder said:
Not gonna do it...wouldn't be prudent....

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I'm not fishing now because in TN annual licenses expire at the end of February. I didn't get one last year because I knew I wouldn't be able to go enough times to recoup the expense, what with medical procedures and all that. I ain't forkin over $46 for two weeks of fishin.

$46!!! That's outrageous. In SC a freshwater only costs a sawbuck. A salt costs $10. A combo costs $20...go figure.

You can find it here...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
$46. tax dollars (sorry, that is supopsed to read fee) for a sport that costs the gov't zero.

I thnks it's $13 here.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
$46. tax dollars (sorry, that is supopsed to read fee) for a sport that costs the gov't zero.

I thnks it's $13 here.

Depends on whether the government stocks lakes and rivers, but $46 is hella expensive for something you can do for only 4 good months out of the year...

2minkey said:
ohmigawd $46!

Seeing its about fishing...:trout:...BTW...do you fish, or are you just being an arse?