The Two Towers, review

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
freako104 said:
books are never as good as the movies

mhhh...i don't agree with you on that. i haven't seen this movie yet :)() but imo books are 99% of the time better than the movies. part one of lotr was a great movie, but still, it didn't come close to the book.

Ardsgaine

Luis G said:
The only bad thing i found in it was the excessive stupid humour, too much Gimli fun, i'm sure that wasn't on the book.

You're right. There was a small amount of humor with Gimli in the books, but it didn't make fun of him the way the movie did. There was no slapstick of the "dwarf-tossing" sort in the books.

One thing that was cut from the movie(s) was Gimli's deep reverence for the Lady Galadriel. Because that wasn't brought out in the first movie, it was also neglected in the scene where they first meet Eomer. That was a shame, because I love his line about being taught manners under the gentle tutelage of a dwarf's axe. (Or words to that effect.) It was humorous, yet it didn't undercut the heroism of either character-- it enhanced it.

All the jokes about Gimli's height served to make him look ridiculous, and unheroic. Yeah, he could fight, but that's not what makes a person truly heroic. It's their moral stature that raises them above the ordinary, and the characters in the movie are sadly lacking in that.

Something Jan pointed out that I thought was dead on, was that because they undercut the heroes so much, the movie makers had to make the orcs look that much more disgusting and psychopathic. The evil of the heroes' opponents has to be over-emphasized so that we will still recognize the heroes as being good by comparison. It shifts the overall tone of the story. Instead of being about good vs evil, it's about mostly good vs psychopathically deranged. Somehow, that's not nearly as inspiring.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Ardsgaine said:
One thing that was cut from the movie(s) was Gimli's deep reverence for the Lady Galadriel.

You can see a part of it in the extended version of FOTR, when Gimli is telling Legolas that Galadriel gave him 3 hairs of her "golden head".

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
ah, that was only in the extended version? :)

i was wondering why i did recall that part, and others didn't :)

Ardsgaine

Well, you know, it's possible that it was in the theater version and I just forgot it. :eh:

If that's the case, then I'm even more irritated that they didn't let him have that conversation with Eomer about her. :p

Luis G

Staff member
Ardsgaine said:
Well, you know, it's possible that it was in the theater version and I just forgot it. :eh:

It wasn't on the theatre version, i'm 100% sure.

Altron

I liked the Gimli and Smeagol parts. I thought it was funny. They missed a lot of Gimli complaining about horses and their competition at Hornburg (aka Helm's Deep, Hornburg is the keep) where they were fighting to kill the most orcs. Didn't like Aragons dumb dreams, or when Legolas was saying the Rohan were all going to die. They made Faramir from a nice, mostly Numerorian (sp ???) prince, to a total asshole.
The books beat the movies in every way.
And I just went on a little trip to Barnes and Nobles and picked up The Similarrion (sp???), another great read.

Scanty

Yes, the Galadriel/Gimli thing wasn't in the theatre version of the film but it is in the DVD version.
They show Galadriel giving each of the Fellowship members presents before they leave the wood elves.

Luis G

Staff member
Scanty said:
Yes, the Galadriel/Gimli thing wasn't in the theatre version of the film but it is in the DVD version.
They show Galadriel giving each of the Fellowship members presents before they leave the wood elves.

Only in the extended DVD version, the regular DVD is the same as the theatre.

Altron

The extended version costs $60 :eek:
I got mine the day it came out on DVD, but it's onyl regular. My friend has the extended DVD though :)

freako104

PuterTutor said:
freako104 said:
jerrek in response to your first statement ill say this. books are never as good as the movies

God I hope that was a typo. I have never seen a movie that I though truly lived up to the book.

it was. i meant it the other way around but i was tired when i typed it so i wasnt completely thinking and i had thought i said what i wanted to. sorry for the confusion.

ipmoof

Jerrek said:
Freckles are ... amazing to me.

Ahhh... THAT EXPLAINS WHY YOU LOVE ME SO MUCH!!! :gay:

Luis G said:
You can see a part of it in the extended version of FOTR, when Gimli is telling Legolas that Galadriel gave him 3 hairs of her "golden head".

:brow:

AlladinSane

Well I FINALLY went to see this movie. I have to say the first was much better, they fixed too much on the war and the plot was left behind. I don't know if the book was like that but I missed more amazing creatures and isolated fights. The 1st had a more "Dungeons and Dragons" style while the second is a BraveHeart kind of movie...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
AlladinSane said:
I have to say the first was much better, they fixed too much on the war and the plot was left behind

Though I liked it, that statement sums up the two owers entirely

Juggernaut

I loved it. obviously they will leave stuff out. Even at three hours, you cant do those books justice. I also think that they assume every one has read the books.

Visually, My only complaint was that the Ents should have been bigger. Although they appeared bigger when they attacked. Did anyone else notice the scaling change?

Altron

lol when I was watching it the guy next to me kept saying "oh shit" whenever we saw a goblin...

My friend (right after seeing Ent part) said "wWow, I love trees. I want one of them"