There's the guy I voted against...

chcr

Too cute for words
You know I have to say here, that I saw a Dateline NBC special on this guy Rick Warren and as Evangelists go, he seems like a really decent guy. Not out to profit in the name of God but really in the trenches and trying to help people. One of the things Mr. Warren mentioned is that nobody is going to agree on every issue. I see no reason why the gay community should be so up in arms. Obama did not publicly abandon them or their issues. I think it's just pettiness and I am not a religious guy, but I came away from that special really liking Rick Warren and BTW I do support Gay civil unions exactly like our president elect. I just don't hate everyone who doesn't agree exactly with my whole take on things.

:rofl4: Seen his house?

There is nothing wrong with being Christian and rich, says the Californian preacher Rick Warren

I'm curious....does the homosexual community know that Obama does not support homosexual marriage?

:rolleyes:

Hell I am not gonna say the guy doesn't have money, but the story reported that he gives 90% of his income to charity. Do you know any other "Evangelist" that even gives half? 25%? 10%?

chcr

Too cute for words
Hell I am not gonna say the guy doesn't have money, but the story reported that he gives 90% of his income to charity. Do you know any other "Evangelist" that even gives half? 25%? 10%?

Fine. Where does he get it from?

Sorry, but of course he's charismatic, he's a preacher. Don't let that blind you to his agenda or what he really is.

San Diego Union Tribune said:
....As the money has rolled in from his book, Warren stopped taking his $110,000 annual salary and repaid the church for his 25 years of salary since its founding. He and his wife became "reverse tithers," he said, keeping 10 percent of their income and giving away the rest, including $13 million in 2004....

Belief.net said:
....First, we decided we would not change our lifestyle one bit no matter how much money came in. So I still live in the same house I’ve lived in for 15 years and I still drive the same Ford truck, have the same two suits, I don’t have a guest home, I don’t have a yacht, I don’t own a beach house, we just said that we aren’t going to use the money on ourselves.

Second, I stopped taking a salary from the church.

Third, I added up all the church had paid me over the past 25 years and gave it all back. I gave it all back because I didn’t want anyone thinking that I did it for money. And I knew that God was raising me up to a position of prominence. I knew I was going to be under the spotlight and I wanted to live a life beyond reproach. So we gave it all back and the very next week it was either Time or Newsweek came and did an interview of me and the very first question they asked was, "What is your salary?" I was able to say honestly I’ve been able to serve my church free for 25 years. It felt so good to bust that stereotype.

"Every time I give it breaks the grip of materialism in my life."

Yeah he seems like a real greedy guy....

Pure evil through and through, not a decent god fearing man like Jimmy Swaggart!

As I said I am not religious, but when I see a guy like this I see someone who is far closer to walking the walk than most of the so called "Christians" I have ever met, and a whole lot more decent than most preachers.

:bluegrab:

Fine. Where does he get it from?

Sorry, but of course he's charismatic, he's a preacher. Don't let that blind you to his agenda or what he really is.

I don't know about anyone else here, but personally I don't have to 100% agree with someone's "agenda" to respect what they are trying to do. I think if you looked more into the man you would see he is definitely not the standard cookie cutter evangelist.

Oh and by the way, "A Purpose Driven Life" has sold more copies than any book in history save for the bible, so there just might be something to it. I have not read it so I certainly can't condemn it until I have....

catocom

He might be the real deal, but in the Bible I go by, it teaches to Always question and be vigilant against false prophets, and it is our Duty to expose them where they exist.

chcr

Too cute for words
I don't know about anyone else here, but personally I don't have to 100% agree with someone's "agenda" to respect what they are trying to do. I think if you looked more into the man you would see he is definitely not the standard cookie cutter evangelist.

Oh and by the way, "A Purpose Driven Life" has sold more copies than any book in history save for the bible, so there just might be something to it. I have not read it so I certainly can't condemn it until I have....
So then you agree that we're a "christian nation" and the separation of church and state is a bad thing? Do you think that humans and dinosaurs coexisted? Are you a young earth creationist? Do you believe biblical creation should be taught as an equally viable theory with evolution? etc., etc., etc...

Of course, I think religion in general is a bad thing so that will certainly color my opinions. OTOH, I don't "condemn" him and I'm reasonably certain he's a perfectly nice guy. I just don't think he should have any influence on our government and I very much feel that he does and wants more and that is a very bad thing.

Oh, and what in the world is a "standard cookie cutter evangelist?"

No I do not agree with those things, but I also don't see what the big deal about him being chosen for this is. I don't think he has any real influence, but I disagree with you on one point. Religion and divisiveness over religion are bad things, but the spiritual side of it and the side of it that is about loving your fellow man is not a bad thing. I think Christians are condemned a lot because of a very loud minority of assholes. The majority of them are just decent people trying to make their way in this world. I wish I had the link but I have read before that despite what things seem, the majority of people who define them self as Christian actually usually vote Democrat.

The religious right is seldom either, but not all Christians are right wing nutjobs, not by a longshot!

chcr

Too cute for words
No I do not agree with those things, but I also don't see what the big deal about him being chosen for this is. I don't think he has any real influence, but I disagree with you on one point. Religion and divisiveness over religion are bad things, but the spiritual side of it and the side of it that is about loving your fellow man is not a bad thing. I think Christians are condemned a lot because of a very loud minority of assholes. The majority of them are just decent people trying to make their way in this world. I wish I had the link but I have read before that despite what things seem, the majority of people who define them self as Christian actually usually vote Democrat.

The religious right is seldom either, but not all Christians are right wing nutjobs, not by a longshot!

As are atheists. I find, however that most christians are "condemned" by their fellow christians.

If Mr. Warren has so little influence, perhaps you could explain how one of the first major political discussions of this past presidential election was moderated by him and took place in his church?

If, as you contend, the majority of self-professed christians in an overwhelmingly predominately christian populace vote democrat, how do you really suppose republicans ever get elected?

Re the whole fellowship of man business, I notice that that shit tends to thin out really fast when others disagree. I hear it a lot when I identify myself as an atheist. It sounds pretty. To bad such a vanishingly small minority (regardless of religious belief or lack thereof) actually practice it, huh?

No, all christians are certainly not right-wing nutjobs. I don't know how you got that from what I posted. Rick Warren isn't one, particularly but there are far too many things that he supports that I oppose for me to find him in any way laudable. Re the invocation at the inauguration, I don't mind him doing it. I mind the idea of it at all. I'd prefer, in the interest of separating government and religion, that the invocation were a private affair and not part of the official proceedings. I recognize that this is unrealistic on my part but it's still how I think it should be. As regards who officiates, I really couldn't care less. It doesn't mean anything to me. :shrug:

I never said "most" but the survey I read did indicate a simple majority (it was close). Not all republicans are Christians. Some are just filthy rich, and some are poor but agnostics or atheists themselves. I imagine some of that simply majority are Catholics, and I know a lot of so called Christians disagree with Catholicism. The simple fact of the matter there is that Catholics are Christians practicing one of the oldest forms of Christianity there is. I thing the Pope and all the problems with Priests are definitely detractors, but I know one thing. Catholic Community services probably does more real charitable work than any other religious group in this country and while I am not Catholic I certainly must commend a lot of the work they do.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
So then you agree that we're a "christian nation" and the separation of church and state is a bad thing? Do you think that humans and dinosaurs coexisted? Are you a young earth creationist? Do you believe biblical creation should be taught as an equally viable theory with evolution? etc., etc., etc...

No such thing as Seperation of Church and State in the Constitution...That came from a letter Thomas Jefferson sent to the Danbury baptists...

chcr said:
Of course, I think religion in general is a bad thing so that will certainly color my opinions. OTOH, I don't "condemn" him and I'm reasonably certain he's a perfectly nice guy. I just don't think he should have any influence on our government and I very much feel that he does and wants more and that is a very bad thing.

Oh, and what in the world is a "standard cookie cutter evangelist?"

I don't see religion as a bad thing. I see people clamoring for power as a bad thing. Religion has never been the core problem. Interpretation of religion has and is what causes strife.