Thinking of a new comp

Anon_me

ok...being pretty much illiterate at stuff like this...got a couple questions :confuse2:

1) Should I get a new one now or wait a few months?
2) What's better? Pentium or AMD? Nivida or ATI?

:p thanks and feel free to add any useful info you have :p oh...I can't/don't know how to build one so that's out of the question...buying everything built and set up out of box :rolleyes:

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Anon_me said:
oh...I can't/don't know how to build one so that's out of the question

:bs:

My 13 year old son could build one. If you don't WANT to build one, well that's another story.

I'd go for an AMD system myself, but then I'm an AMD fanboy. I'd also do it now, but then I'm also into instant gratification. Nvidia makes GeForce cards, so I'm assuming you meant NVidia or ATI, well, sadly although I've always been an NVidia guy too, ATI is kicking thier ass at the present time, stay tuned, it may or may not change at any time though.

Just get the most you can afford, and be prepared for the fact that two months from now you would have been able to afford better. Don't worry, two months from then you could have afforded even better yet. Welcome to the world of puters.

B

Bubba

I like AMD, too. As for video cards, I found that the Radeon 7000 is pretty darn good for surfing the web and displaying graphics. I never play computer games anymore.

Anon_me

No way...I don't even want to attempt putting a computer together... :p I don't even format my computer myself /shrug

Mainly...I'd probably use it for gaming and art stuff.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Why not? Let you in on a little secret. All the parts have manuals. The manuals tell you how to put it all together. Besides, when it comes to the important stuff, it's damn near impossible to plug something in wrong, or in the wrong place. You really should give it a try, it's a great feeling to boot a new computer that you put together yourself, and you have us here to help you with it if you have problems.

Ok, that being said, if you are still saying no, I'll get alot of shit for this I'm sure, but I'd seriously look at Dell (Here) or look at the HP computers they sell at Walmart. Those two are about the best prices I've seen for prebuilt systems, not great for upgrading, but the service is pretty good, especially at Walmart, I've known people that have taken theirs back after a month and they just replaced it, no problem.

Professur

Presarios, Pavillions, and Aptivas are bastardized clones with the flexability burned out of them. Only idiots and fools buy them. You have been warned.

But their business lines of machines are a whole different pile of shit.

B

Bubba

Some people want to just buy a system they don't have to put together and Dell or HP isn't all that bad for them. I would go for an HP over a Dell though.

Building them is a lot more fun.

A.B.Normal

HP and Compaq are now one in the same ,if you going to buy get a DELL ,dude.Of course DELL doesn't use AMD Processors,so your have to go Intel and take whatever vidcard they supply.The one question your now faced with is a INTEL Celeron Or an INTEL P4(pssst ,go for the P4,Graphics programs will benefit.

A.B.Normal

I don't like HP/Compaq because of the hidden partition which needs to be on the HD for the BIOS to work properly.They also don't have RECOVERY CDs anymore ,the preinstalled software is compressed and also contained on the hiden partition. These two things make even a HD replacement difficult/impossible and with the high faiure rate of some HDs these days :rolleyes:

Mirlyn

Do not get retailed HP/Compaq. Also, do not do custom-ordered systems, aka "CTOs" from HP/Compaq. I would buy an emachine before I would even consider buying HP/Compaq. Like Prof and the others said, you have been warned.

I'd go Dell.

Mirlyn

Bubba said:
I suggested the HP because they use AMD.:headbang:

True, Dell is exclusively Intel now (NIC/Video/Sound/etc). If not, they're darn close. However most of the retailers carry both AMD/Intel in nearly all brands.

PostCode

Major contributor!
You really should give it a try, it's a great feeling to boot a new computer that you put together yourself

hehe Speak for yourself. You build a couple hundread a month and it gets kinda boring. :lol:

chcr

Too cute for words
I've had pretty good luck with Dell service, we have about 15 Dells of various vintages in the company. I Have to agree with the consensus, it isn't that hard to build one yourself, and It's a great feeling of accomplishment. If your're dead set against it though, Dell does offer a good system at a reasonable price. I notice no one mentions custom built systems. They're generally more expensive (mass marketers get a discount on parts and software) but you can pick and choose what goes into your system, and they are a lot more upgradable. If you buy Dell, HP or Compaq, everything will be proprietary, and upgrading is generally out of the question.

The above statements reflect the opinions of the author, and in no way represent the opinions of the management. :D

woodman19_99

Alright, everyone here seems too have suggested the big name computer vendors. But what about using someone liking alienware, zt group, or abs PC's. Some of those pre built systems have pretty good ratings and aren't terribly expensive. In addition, you don't get the parts preformed to fit the Dell, HP... cases so upgrading would be alot easier.

But I think we need to see a budget for this new computer and also whether a keyboard, mouse, monitor will be necessary.

chcr

Too cute for words
chcr said:
I notice no one mentions custom built systems. They're generally more expensive (mass marketers get a discount on parts and software) but you can pick and choose what goes into your system
:D

woodman19_99

Woops:). I guess someone did mention them. Once again, I have proven myself to be retarded. But chcr, do you really think they are more expensive? I am helping someone pick out a new pre built system and I seem to be getting better items from smaller vendors then from the big companies.

Mirlyn

woodman19_99 said:
Woops:). I guess someone did mention them. Once again, I have proven myself to be retarded. But chcr, do you really think they are more expensive? I am helping someone pick out a new pre built system and I seem to be getting better items from smaller vendors then from the big companies.

Ailenware computers at the store are $2000+ ;)

From my experience, Dell support can be your best friend or a headache. I've heard the same from others as well. However, I and most of the people I've talked to are business customers, and we deal with a different level of support than what a private end-user would use.