Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
AMD Athlon 64 FX62 Socket AM2 CPU
ASUS M2N-E SLI NF500 SLI AM2
XFX GeForce 8800 GTS XXX 320MB PCIe
OCZ Platinum Rev 2 2048MB PC6400 DDR2
Hitachi 320GB Serial ATA HD 7200/16MB/SATA-3G

all the other stuff I'll keep from my old box.

Soyo Dragon 400 black
Barton 2500+ (run smoothly as 2800+)
a couple of 1GB & a couple 512 ram sticks
Radeon X1950 pro
4 Maxtor 80GV HDDs are probab;y going on the trading block soon, if anyone is interested.

catocom

I'm waiting 'til sometime after the first of the year to upgrade....
I'm speculating the prices will drop....if the stock market drops some more.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
After a couple of MiR's, I'm not much over $500 with all that (about half is the video card)

chcr

Too cute for words
If AMD doesn't release the new class of processors on time they'll go up anyway.

I'd like to upgrade but I bought my wife a Mac. :mope:

markjs

Banned
I have that card, except mine is the PNY. You're gonna love it! Plays Doom3 with everything maxed at 1024x768 at around 60fps. The crazy thing is it's like a box and not a card. It has a massive fan system inside ther box and it takes up a lot of space in the case.

My system is: EPoX 5P945C mobo, Intel Core 2 Duo "Conroe" 1.86GHz CPU, 2GB PC 667,PNY GeForce 8800 320MB GPU, Seagate Barracuda 400GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache SATA HDD, ATI TV Wonder 650. Linksys wireless ethernet. Running XP Pro x64 Edititon.

The XP x64 is one of the reasons I advocate Vista, because it was a mistake. I still prefer XP but I dual boot now, and a lot of drivers were just not available for XP x64.

markjs

Banned
I'm an intel man though.:nerd:

I usally go with the best mix of price and performance and for me it was intel. My last system was an AMD and I loved it. Brand loyalty is dumb IMHO, but let us all hope and pray for health and long life for AMD or we will soon see standard, run of the mill, desktop CPU prices back up ofer a thousand dollars like in the bad old days when intel had a corner on the market.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I'm considering RMAing the mobo & getting the nVidia 570 chipset instead. If I would havbe seen it last week, I would have bought it then.

The CPU is on backorder so I'm going nowhere fast anyway.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I'm considering RMAing the mobo & getting the nVidia 570 chipset instead. If I would havbe seen it last week, I would have bought it then.

The CPU is on backorder so I'm going nowhere fast anyway.

You doing local purchase, or on-line?

woodman19_99

Is the decision to go with AMD out of sheer brand loyalty? At this point, AMD is not necessarily going to give you the most bang for your buck...

woodman19_99

Really? For some reason, I would think this might give it a run for its money. I haven't looked just yet at benchmarks, but I am headed that way now...

I am sure you have done your research, but just in case any of this mularky helps:

Anandtech

Tom's CPU Chart

Just found that last one. I like the comparison ability...

catocom

Really? For some reason, I would think this might give it a run for its money. I haven't looked just yet at benchmarks, but I am headed that way now...

I am sure you have done your research, but just in case any of this mularky helps:

Anandtech

Tom's CPU Chart

Just found that last one. I like the comparison ability...
man that is a good deal.
I've been looking at the 6600 series, but this looks better.:beardbng:

chcr

Too cute for words
XP Pro 64 vs Vista Premium 64 vs XP Pro 32.

What say ye?

If you have a 64 bit processor you need (or at least you will at some point one assumes) a 64 bit OS. If you have a 32 bit processor a 64 bit OS is a waste of money. Re the XP vs. Vista thing, while I'm not very happy with Vista yet, it will be the OS of choice for sometime to come. If you have the patience for the teething problems go with it. Note that if you don't have a Windows domain with several computers on it, the advantages of Pro aren't that important.

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
Im running vista 32 on a amd3500 64 and it runs great. only downside so far for me is that older and some newer games still wont play nicely yet.
some of the patches suck so far.