Tomatoes

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
finally. After a drought stricken summer where the only moisture has been home h2O, full of chlorine, there are red tomatoes coming thru. I've had plenty of peppers though. A month late for the maters. it's about friggin' time.:drink2:

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
reading about this situation is "weird" to me.

don't we export enough tomatoes to the US ?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Luis, we really thank you for those tasteless &amp; embarassing tomatoes you send us:D

When they are picked green, for shipment, then sent thru the radiation machine (or whatever it is) to get the beatious red color, they lose all taste. Good for McDonalds, bad for consumers with discriminating tastes.

I prefer homegrown &amp; can several quarts a year for salsa &amp; italian cooking. Keep growing them though, someday your country will get it right:)

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
ohhhhhh sorry to hear that, i know the tomatoes that are for sell here are great, but since it is a big trip to the US, they must be sent while they are still green. i guess is time to modify the way the industry works.

Jeslek

Banned
Homegrown tomatoes... Hm, nice! I need to start working on that, but this is a new house and we haven't even started on the garden yet. We used to grow stuff at home.

Now those peppers... Gee I love peppers. Red ones, orange ones, yellow ones, all of them except the green ones can be eaten raw just like a fruit. The green ones are good for burgers, sandwiches, and so forth though. ;)

greenfreak

I think the real point here is growing these things yourself and enjoying not only pure, non-insecticidal freshness but also enjoying the fruits of your labor. Or, vegetables of your labor in this case. ;) They always taste better when they're grown in your own backyard. :)

Although I don't eat what I grow, there's a certain satisfaction of growing something from seed to maturity that gardeners enjoy. My canna lillies (Picasso) just bloomed two days ago after growing them from tubers back in May and my new Morning Glories just bloomed from seeds created by the first set that I planted months ago. I could go on and on about this but I'm sure fellow gardeners like Gonz, Leslie and LL could relate. :D

Enjoy Gonz! We were eating some tomatoes from my sister's garden last week... We just sliced them in quarters, put a little salt on them, and chowed down! *yummy*