Trolls

valkyrie

From Urban Dictionary: troll
1. One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.

2. One who purposely and deliberately (that purpose usually being self-amusement) starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers. He will spark of such an argument via the use of ad hominem attacks (i.e. 'you're nothing but a fanboy' is a popular phrase) with no substance or relevence to back them up as well as straw man arguments, which he uses to simply avoid addressing the essence of the issue.

Forum Troll
1. A person who spends all his time on forums, and generally has no life and lives in his parent's basement.

ResearchMonkey

1. Someone who doesn't adhere to your standards of politically correct methods of communications or thinking
  2. Someone who think outside of your box

valkyrie

Troll
A person with no social skills who spends most of their life on forums attacking other members for the purpose of lessening their own emotional pain brought about by their empty, lonely and lackluster life. Trolls who are employed often hold unskilled or underpaid jobs and have few friends outside of work.

synonyms: forum troll, forum loser

ResearchMonkey

Troll
A person with no social skills who spends most of their life on forums attacking other members for the purpose of lessening their own emotional pain brought about by their empty, lonely and lackluster life. Trolls who are employed often hold unskilled or underpaid jobs and have few friends outside of work.

synonyms: forum troll, forum loser

Someone who's shacked up in a tool shed in the boondocks.

ResearchMonkey

From Urban Dictionary: troll
1. One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.

2. One who purposely and deliberately (that purpose usually being self-amusement) starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers. He will spark of such an argument via the use of ad hominem attacks (i.e. 'you're nothing but a fanboy' is a popular phrase) with no substance or relevence to back them up as well as straw man arguments, which he uses to simply avoid addressing the essence of the issue.

**See THIS POST

catocom

What do you believe is a troll? Give your definition.

Shrek!
:D

I'm not into name calling.

I haven't really thought about what the Profile would be.
I do think one would have to split the definition, between political and non-p though.

I'm much more harsh when talking about politicians.

Winky

Trolls make the internets go round

Spike is the perfect definition of a troll

and a fatter happier troll may you never see

Gotholic

Val has mutated into a troll. spike is definitely a parrot who eggs on trolling behavior. Just picture a parrot with eggs grasped in its claws swooping down parroting and letting go of eggs on trolls.

ResearchMonkey

Oh lord Goth. Are you saying you believe spike actually does a good job of defending himself?

...goth, was 9/11 an inside job?

spike

spike is definitely a parrot who eggs on trolling behavior. Just picture a parrot with eggs grasped in its claws swooping down parroting and letting go of eggs on trolls.

I usually just try to see if there's any substance in a troll post, separate it out, address it....and then just label the trolling for what it is. I don't know how that eggs on the trolls but I liked your imagery anyway. :thumbup:

valkyrie

/scrolls through this thread
//LOLs
/// LOLs again because some of the members have no idea why she's LOLing.
:rofl: :lol2:

jimpeel

Trolls are also those who do drive-by posts and then never come back to debate the subject matter. Usually, the subject is one of great contention and their post is usually meant to inflame the other members. They then sit back and watch that which they hath wrought without further comment.

ResearchMonkey

What is "Trolling"?

Trolling is a kind of prank and a lost art form, full of failed attempts and people who don't even know what trolling is.

Merely being unpleasant is not trolling. Serial killers, dentists, IRS auditors, and so on are not trolls. Trolls do what they do to produce a reaction, not to be unpleasant for its own sake. Moreover, showing a disagreeing opinion with another party is not troll, no matter how much that other party tries to claim you're trolling. Being stupid or laughed at because of your own nature also is not trolling.

:microwav:

The repeated attempt to label someone a troll is a weak attempt to devalue the thoughts of those who put a wrench in your own fragile reality.

1282415252832.jpg