"TRYING vs. DOING"

75renegade

Just a few thoughts about trying vs. doing...

Some folks seem to indicate that they "keep on trying" but they do not often achieve the levels of success they desire and they aren't sure why.

Others seem to "just do it" with little or no thought about the concept of trying.

TRYING: I would submit this idea that the ones who "try" approach their lives from the perspective and vantage point of doubt.

Doubt is a leading indicator of fear...perhaps the fear of failure.

The irony for me in all of this is the cycle that is created for the one's who fear what may or may not happen "if"...

(I believe we all choose the fears we hold inside)

Fear results in doubt which produces a self-defeating outlook, which further results in the failure that is feared.

On the converse, I am suggesting that the oposite is also equally true and that every person has the potential to realize and benefit from this universal truth.

DOING: The doer does not let trying get in the way of persuing or fulfilling his/her mission.

The doer acknowledges the possiblity of what most refer to as failure, but not in the same way as those who merely try.

For the doer, so called failure is actually received as success, because the experience teaches and reveals one more way in which not to spend energy that may otherwise be conserved for use in the next attempt, in order to prepel the doer closer toward his/her mission.

I submit that an attitude of doing is typically constituted by a fearless perspective, which prevents doubts that would rob the doer of potential successes.

To the doer, merely trying is to admit defeat before he/she ever starts.

The doer spends his/her days making thing happen while the try-ers spend their days observing the contrast and wishing they could realize levels of success in their own lives, like the doers do.

A doer with a maturing perspective and a kind spirit will keep his/her heart open to the try-er and may offer suggestions, when the opportunity affords that could help the try-er gain a more productive perspective so that success may be more possible for the try-er.

A wise doer also acknowledges that those who merely try, must choose to open their minds and embrace the same truth that the doer has discovered, in order to realize the benefits.

A doer is not better than a try-er...both are equal, however the lives of the doer and the try-er are vastly different in light of the perspectives they choose to hold...or not to hold.

On that note, I believe I will have a double Dewar's on the rocks now!! :beerbang:

Thoughts?

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I just do or don't do stuff. I really dislike people who always say they are "trying", and I even dislike them more when they are showing off their shitty and small progress. Of course, after a few days/weeks they are back to where they were. This applies especially to people who are "quitting smoking" :rolleyes:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Trying leaves an out. Half-assed attempt meant you tried but it was too tough so you decided stop trying.

chcr

Too cute for words
You'll never accomplish anything if you don't "try" first. "Just do it" implies trying to do it. If you try and fail, you try again or try something else. Intelligent people learn as much if not more from failure as from success.

Oh, and anyone who believes "nothing is impossible" should immediately begin to flap their arms and fly to them moon. I'll wait...

Edit: Just a personal philosophy, believe what you want to. You don't need me to tell you you're wrong. ;)

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
You'll never accomplish anything if you don't "try" first. "Just do it" implies trying to do it. If you try and fail, you try again or try something else. Intelligent people learn as much if not more from failure as from success.

Well, of course the process of accomplishing something involves trying. However there's people who just don't try hard enough. I assume that's the whole point of this thread. Just saying you're trying to do something doesn't mean you're actually focused and WILLING to do it.

MrBishop

Focused and willing are all well and good, but if you don't have the knowhow or skills you basically end up knocking your head against every wall you meet. :shrug:

If just trying = laziness
then Doing = only doing what you know that you can do (another type of laziness)

Inkara1

That reminds me of the intro to "Sweat Loaf," the first song on the Butthole Surfers' Locust Abortion Technician CD...

Father?
Yes, son?
What does regret mean?
Well, son, the funny thing about regret is, it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done. And by the way, if you see your mom this weekend, would you be sure and tell her SATAN SATAN SATAN

chcr

Too cute for words
Your wait is over
Apollo 11
Try, fail, figure a better way.

Anything is possible.
No, anything is not. It's a nice fairytale to tell your four year old, adults should know better.

Are you flapping your arms? :rofl: I'm waiting.

Note that the Apollo astronauts did not "fly" to the moon. Certainly not by flapping their arms. It was, however, a figure of speech.

BB

That reminds me of the intro to "Sweat Loaf," the first song on the Butthole Surfers' Locust Abortion Technician CD...

Father?
Yes, son?
What does regret mean?
Well, son, the funny thing about regret is, it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done. And by the way, if you see your mom this weekend, would you be sure and tell her SATAN SATAN SATAN

Fuck me, Locust Abortion Technician - ain't heard or thought of that for some while :bgpimp:

(maybe go search me a listen ..don't worry tho' i won't 'home tape' it!! :grinno: )

Some interesting takes on 'trying' and 'doing' already -

if i had given up when 115% of the evidence over a number of years, was that i should have ... i would never have got anywhere -

and i both 'tried' and 'did' as it were -

and a lot more an' all ... ;) *ahem*

For me it's as much about sheer bloodymindedness - belief, and the willingness to try loads of stuff and then decide whether to half-ass it or pitch in ...

i don't think there is a one size or route fits all though... :shrug:

never give up - that's my advice ... fight when you have to - and don't when ya needn't -

BB

...you better watch it Gonz - he's practically infalliable ...

and if chcr can make it to pope ....

:bgpimp:

:grinyes: :bgpimp:

Inkara1

It's always good to see another Butthole Surfers fan here... they're few and far between. Good stuff but it's not for everyone.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
No, anything is not. It's a nice fairytale to tell your four year old, adults should know better.

Are you flapping your arms? :rofl: I'm waiting.

Note that the Apollo astronauts did not "fly" to the moon. Certainly not by flapping their arms. It was, however, a figure of speech.

Which is why you & I see very little, eye to eye.

You apparently believe in nothing that isn't smacking you in the face. I at leaast hold out for possibilities & hope.

BB

well, you know what they say -

hope springs eternal -

what isn't said, however, is whether it flaps it's arms as it's doing it???

chcr

Too cute for words
Which is why you & I see very little, eye to eye.

You apparently believe in nothing that isn't smacking you in the face. I at leaast hold out for possibilities & hope.

You know, it would surprise you to know that I'm one of the most optomistic and hopeful people you'll ever meet. Hoping for the impossible is just stupid though. :shrug:

A point of physics: Your arms will burst into flame from air friction long before you got them moving fast enough to generate significant lift (humans aren't very aerodynamic, I'm afraid). That's one of the reasons I'm fond of that analogy. Try this one. Is it "possible" that you'll be ass-f@cking BB on the French Riviera next weekend?

Then anything is not possible, is it? Words are important, they should be chosen with care.

catocom

MHO....
Life is all just a series of 'decisions', whether it be conscience, or sub-conscience.

Some decisions are instant, some take planning.
Depending on if I try, or just do, depends on if I already know if I can do it, or not.
Does it take planning, have others accomplished it, how hard might it be...

e.g. if I want to look at the sky, I just do it.
If I want to change the engine in my car, it needs a little forethought, with
the possibility for mishaps. So I'd be trying, and doing, with a probably but
somewhat uncertain outcome.

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
Hmm.. not sure what I am. Do I have to be one or the other? What if I hear of a great recipe but it's not written down and I want to make it? I make whatever it is and it turns out great - did I *DO* or did I *TRY*?