ubuntu linux

catocom

Well, I'm posting this from deb now.
I was trying to hard I guess. I've still got some stuff to install, but you were right Mirlyn,
'most' of what I wanted was on just the first cd. :headbang:
I like so far. :)

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
catocom said:
Well, I'm posting this from deb now.
I was trying to hard I guess. I've still got some stuff to install, but you were right Mirlyn,
'most' of what I wanted was on just the first cd. :headbang:
I like so far. :)

Debian is a sweet distro, the most rock-solid for all I know. The only downside is that many components are a bit old, but that's just to guarantee stability.

catocom

eh, they aren't that old. I'm running redhat 7.1 on an old PII in my barn to listen to mp3s on. :lol2:

Luis G

Staff member
catocom said:
eh, they aren't that old. I'm running redhat 7.1 on an old PII in my barn to listen to mp3s on. :lol2:

teehee........then anything would not seem that old ;)

The p3/500 I have on the house runs mandrake 8 thou, I don't plan to change it thou, serves its purpose just fine.

Mirlyn

catocom said:
Think I got you beat hardware-wise....our primary and secondary DNS servers for our network (hosting) are P1 133s running Woody. :)

catocom

Yep, I'd say you got me beat. My pii is a 300@450.
I can't see spending the power on anything less, for much time.
I tried several distros on it before that RH one. None worked just like I wanted
until I installed that, and it was setup perfect almost right from the start.
I found out that most of the time, if you match the distro from the era that
the hardware is from, it works better to start with. :nerd:

That Redhat-Seawolf is still a 'jam-up' system. :)

chcr

Too cute for words
I d/l'd the 180MB Debian image last night. Really smooth up until I realized that I'd mis-identified the onboard video on this Cyrix 600 (@750) system I'm using as a test bed. Got that to sort tonight. :shrug:

Luis G

Staff member
:lol:

Today I tried ubuntu 5.10 and it works much much better than 5.04, as of now I'm downloading the install version and getting ready for the switch :D :D

Luis G

Staff member
Installation went as follows:
1. Backed up my home dir to a fat32 partition.
2. Inserted the CD and reformated the ext3 partition.
3. The base system installed..........BUUUUT this can only happen to me, the cd I just burned was defective, I got a half installation and decided to continue nevertheless.
4. Grub installed and when I rebooted the loader was fine, however....
5. When booting into linux, the setup manager detected an incomplete installation, and it halted....however I could do ctrl-alt-fx to switch tty and login, I thought it was downloading the packages from the net.......I was wrong.
6. I had to reset the ptuer and boot into windows to burn the installation cd again.
7. This time everything went flawlessly..........or so I thought.
8. I ran easyubuntu to update the package repositories, installed mplayer and a bunch of codecs...........but......
9. I HAD NO gcc nor g++ installed, this is something extremelly odd for me, so there I go to do apt-get, both installed fine, but......
10. The standard library was not installed either, since I never had to install it manually I didn't even know the name of the package, after installing like 10 libraries that somehow related to libstd I ended up installing glibc-dev (if memory serves me right), which was the right package.

Now I think it is complete......had I installed it on a friend's puter I would have had no problems at all, it seems my puters like adventure.

HomeLAN

Luis G said:
Now I think it is complete......had I installed it on a friend's puter I would have had no problems at all, it seems my puters like adventure.

I know that feeling. My machines have run flawlessly for years, but if I took a box over to Unc's house, it'd be reduced to flaming silicon within 3 days.

Luis G

Staff member
HomeLAN said:

I know that feeling. My machines have run flawlessly for years, but if I took a box over to Unc's house, it'd be reduced to flaming silicon within 3 days.

And that's when he's not trying to fix them :lol:

My puters also run for years, the only downside is all sorts of problems I have when setting them up.

catocom

HomeLAN said:

Same with my bro, only he likes to flash bioses and mess with the firmware,
run benchmarks constantly, and
"tweak"/overclock until it gives up.

I can't get ubuntu, kubutu, or reg deb to mount my other partitions.
Mepis does it just fine. I tried copying some for the fstab over to
the other distro from mepis, but no joy yet. :confused:
I'm trying to figure out exactly how mepis sets itself up because it's
the closest I've found to what I want. I just want to try to get the reg
debian install setup like it. That's how I learn. :nerd:

Luis G

Staff member
catocom said:
Same with my bro, only he likes to flash bioses and mess with the firmware,
run benchmarks constantly, and
"tweak"/overclock until it gives up.

I can't get ubuntu, kubutu, or reg deb to mount my other partitions.
Mepis does it just fine. I tried copying some for the fstab over to
the other distro from mepis, but no joy yet. :confused:
I'm trying to figure out exactly how mepis sets itself up because it's
the closest I've found to what I want. I just want to try to get the reg
debian install setup like it. That's how I learn. :nerd:

Create "disk" directory in /mnt
then do
# cd /mnt/
# mount /dev/hda5 disk

hda is primary master, hdb is primary slave, hdc is secondary master...and so on, the number following hdx is the partition number, if it is the primary partition (aka C: ) write hda1, if it is an extended partition do hda5 (D: ) or hda6 (E: ) according. You'll rarely have hda2 and hda3 unless you set it specifically to have a bunch of primary partitions.

If you can succesfully mount then is just a matter of adding the correct device and directory to mount to the fstab.

catocom

Tried that. It didn't work.
Actually mine is setup a sda in mepis. Because it a serial drive I guess. :confused:

Luis G

Staff member
catocom said:
Tried that. It didn't work.
Actually mine is setup a sda in mepis. Because it a serial drive I guess. :confused:

SCSI drives, usb drives or some sort that isn't IDE?

What error did mount throwed?, something like filesystem unknown or didn't find a proper module?

edit: *doh* you said serial :lol: sda is used for some sort of scsi emulation or for scsi drives, in the end there shouldn't be much of a problem except for the mounting commands.

catocom

yeah it's onboard sata.
mepis I think mounts it like scsi, but I just read that there's a better way somehow.

I'm still digging.

When I try monuting, it says the is no such device... :confused:

Luis G

Staff member
catocom said:
yeah it's onboard sata.
mepis I think mounts it like scsi, but I just read that there's a better way somehow.

I'm still digging.

When I try monuting, it says the is no such device... :confused:

Weird...I only know about hdx and sdx devices. Did you try both
# mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/disk
and
# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/disk

One of those two should be the right one. :confuse3:

There's also another way, I don't remember the exact path but perhaps it can help is something along the lines of /dev/pci/bus0/something

chcr

Too cute for words
SATA support's in the kernel, I don't know what the module is though (don't have any SATA stuff yet). If the module supporting SATA isn't installed though, I'm sure it won't recognize the device. I'm guessing it didn't install. :shrug: