UH Warriors!!

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Not as depressing as the Sugar Bowl's gonna be...

Georgia - 28
Hawaii - 14

Book it.

Seems I was too kind.

uga_v.jpg

Inkara1

So having Fresno State look bad because of a game it didn't even play in isn't payment enough?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I wasn't the one "saving it for posterity" for when I "looked like a fool on January 1".

Fresno got evened out by the pitiful display Florida put up against meeeeesheegin. Arkansas I was prepared for.

Inkara1

Fresno State was the only WAC school to win its bowl game, and it did so by putting up a season-high in yards against what was supposed to be a stout Georgia Tech defense. Nevada wasn't that good this year anyway, so them losing to New Mexico in the New Mexico Bowl wasn't a big surprise. Boise losing to East Carolina was definitely a surprise.

nalani

I don't give a shit what haters say about our team - the only one we have, by the way. Our boys worked hard, kicked ass, were 12-0 regardless of what anything thinks about that, and I'm proud of all of them. *shrug*... it's not like we have any professional sports out here - UH Rainbow Warriors are all we have. At the very least, our boys play with respect .. wish Georgia and other other teams could say the same *shrug*

Inkara1

Jones leaves UH to coach at SMU

So SMU has some real facilities (I heard that Hawaii's practice field was condemned a couple years ago and the football team has had to practice on soccer fields) and will pay him $2 million a year, plus have more than $50,000 in the recruiting budget. But hey, UH has a balanced athletics budget.

As a Fresno State fan, I'm glad to see it happen because maybe the Bulldogs will get a win on the islands every now and then... that said, with Jones at the helm Hawaii games were certainly fun to watch.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
At the very least, our boys play with respect .. wish Georgia and other other teams could say the same *shrug*

Now just a hangdog minute here. I watched that game. Numerous times I saw Georgia players helping Hawai'i players up from the field, giving pats on the back/helmet, all kinds of stuff. Don't go gettin all negative, the TV crew did enough of that to last us all a lifetime.

Inkara1

I was just about to post that...

Are we sure this is a step up?

SMU does have some nice facilities (I was peeking around the SMU Web site at pics of the facilities), and the pay raise is significant, considering that not only is it a lot more money, but the money also goes farther because Texas has no state income tax and Hawaii has some of the highest income tax rates in the nation, and housing, gas, etc. are a lot cheaper in Texas.

The year before Jones took over, Hawaii was 0-12 and he won nine games his first year (biggest turnaround in NCAA history) and took the team to a BCS bowl in his final year. Now he's inheriting a team that went 1-11... he's 55, so this is 1) one last challenge before it gets to be time to retire, and 2) a nice way to build up the reirement fund. The ceiling of possibility at SMU probably isn't much higher than at UH, but the universtiy as a whole seems to be more on-board with it.

Inkara1

Hawaii has tropical roaches... and probably snakes. And since going more than a few miles from home involves flight there, you have to worry about "motherfucking snakes on a motherfucking plane." :D

nalani

Now just a hangdog minute here. I watched that game. Numerous times I saw Georgia players helping Hawai'i players up from the field, giving pats on the back/helmet, all kinds of stuff. Don't go gettin all negative, the TV crew did enough of that to last us all a lifetime.

Me being negative? I never called anyone's team 'embarassing', 'disgusting', 'undeserving' ... etc etc ... all I'm saying is regardless of what anyone thinks, the boys had a great year. This is the *only* team we have -remember, we don't have professional sports here aside from surfing - so you'll forgive me if I feel a bit of pride of everything they've gone through, the crap the entire nation has said about them and even if they didn't play their best, they got to a BCS game. Tons of other schools didn't. UH did. So yeah, a few were respectful and that was appreciated but if you saw the game you saw that others weren't ... and all I'm saying is aside from probably Bess's jump in the end zone of the Washington game, our boys show respect for every team they're playing.

Just to mention on the TV Crews being 'negative' .. every time they mentioned a Georgia player, they discussed his academics .. everytime they mentioned a Hawai'i player, they mentioned his 'criminal' past .. dang .. made us sound like an ALC school LOL (in case the "ALC" thing isn't something you guys on the mainland use, ALC means "Alternative Learning Center"). BUT I will say that Louisianna people said the Hawai'i visitors for the bowl game were the most gracious people they've ever encountered .. WOOOHOOO. That was probably the one and only compliment paid to Hawai'i during the entire game LOL ...

No snakes, Inky, indigenous or otherwise. Every now and again they'll be someone who tries to get one in as a pet but that's a huge no-no. Roaches here are no different than the roaches in every other state - plain gross. Some of ours fly though, not sure if they do on the mainland.

Jones is gone .. and a lot of us are kinda glad about it but again, respect where it's due. He did a hell of a lot with the very very very little they had (again, a fact that seems to escape a lot of people .. while other schools are playing with multimillion dollar equipment and fields, our UH boys and girls aren't - yet they still manage to do get it together. Go figure) Jones had a big mouth and bigger ego but the man was good. I just hope his replacement keeps the UH spirit alive.

Bess is gone - going to the NFL draft. A few others are going as well. Looks like it's all Gruenke next season. The boy has a great arm and I'm hopeful so, we'll see. Just lots of rebuilding.

Frasier is a dumbass and shoulda been gone a long time ago. He's the most useless AD ever. I used to feel badly for him trying to get schedules together but he should have tried harder when teams opted instead to pay a fine rather than fly here to play. He shoulda tried harder in a lot of areas ...

Inkara1

How's the progress going on the new stadium? My understanding is Aloha Stadium had to be permanently locked in its football configuration because of maintenance issues, and that the place is rusting pretty badly.

nalani

How's the progress going on the new stadium? My understanding is Aloha Stadium had to be permanently locked in its football configuration because of maintenance issues, and that the place is rusting pretty badly.

New stadium? Where are you hearing this? LOL .. we so wish we were getting a new stadium.

Aloha Stadium is locked in it's config (close oval, open oval) because of the way it was made waaaaaayyy back in the day but it is in need of remodeling or rebuilding. It's used all the time for all kinds of things including high school football. The state always talks about 'possibly' building another stadium or 'hopefully' putting money into the remodeling but like I said, we don't have professional sports here .. so it's not like we have steady revenue to pay for it .. well, that's the govt's excuse anyway ...

nalani

McMac kinda worries me a little bit because he's more of the burly daddy figure rather than then authoritative FATHER and COACH .. but then, maybe it's just because he's never had the opportunity to show that side of him .. not sure. I do like his approach to recruiting though, especially here in the islands and the Pacific. The upcoming season definitely won't be like this past season .. but I'm hopeful ...