unfriendly bastards!

tonksy

we don't start welcome threads anymore...i know, i know...they never post in them or even stick around...i think that alot of it is the fact the it's a relatively active board and they just may never make it all the way down to the lobby to get their welcome...hows about we bump the lobby up a few spots? can we do that?

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I kinda thought it was because most newbs join to get into the KOC forum and never post anywhere...What happened to the auto-thread thing? I liked that idea.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I think that if they were gonna stick around then they would make it to the lobby to see their welcome threads. I mean, it shows on the front page that there is a thread with their name in the title...

Also, if a person starts posting and there still isn't a welcome thread I am confident that there will be one made rather quickly.

Welcome threads are nice, but I don't believe that they are gonna be the reason a poerson decides to stay at OTC.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Plus, posting welcome thread after welcome thread for people who don't even post is pointless...it makes the forum looked clogged up.

Oz

I can certainly see Nixy's point that a welcome thread for every new member would soon clutter up the lobby, especially seeing as how many folks sign up and never actually post, I do still think they are a nice touch tho' (I certainly appreciated it when I first joined this madhouse).

An idea that worked quite well in another forum I frequent is a "newbies welcome yourselves here" thread, a place where the more shy member can pop their posting cherry.......so to speak, and of course a place where us members can welcome the new folk.......all on one handy-dandy thread :swing:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Perpetual welcome thread...I dunno if members would really bother going through a thread that could end up to be 5 or 6 pages long to look for a welcome post...

Oz

Nixy said:
Perpetual welcome thread...I dunno if members would really bother going through a thread that could end up to be 5 or 6 pages long to look for a welcome post...

Mebbe if it were made a Sticky? :shrug: Or even if it were deleted and restarted once in a while......to prevent it becoming too humungus.

Just a thought anyway :)

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
yes a lot of the more recent newbies were to try and gain access to the KOC forum, only to find out that they had to post 30 post to get in so they left.
the perpetual welcome wore out its welcome, but the regular welcome threads were always a nice touch. you guys would not believe the amount of emails id recieved from newbs saying how welcome they felt from them. we even used to try and beat the registration and have a post waiting for them upon returning.
the instant post squiggs was lost on the beta. once we go gold we will be adding it back to the forum.

and prof i still play with dead things...:)

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
LOL i left it wide open for ya man. but im closing that door now.

i am so impressed with the restraint. the meds must be working.