URGENT! Boot disk failure code 99...

That's cause there isn't one. ME uses IO.SYS to start the boot process. I'm sure ris knows that too but you get used to thinking in 2K.

yep, and i still use win98se because winme was a buggy pile on my rig :D

you may be right aunty, it could be a format and rebuild moment. :(

I've been having a look at the drive with the MaxBlast 2.0 and 3.0 utilities that I have for setting up the drive but there is no way that I can just reformat one of the partitions... I din't think there was... so I shall just have to save the files I want and set it up from scratch again. :shrug:

Fortunately it's just a few mpeg files as everything else is duplicated in 2k. I'll probably do that later next week, in the meantime I'll go and see if anyone has a solution to the cd-rom on just linux.... you never know...

Sorry, I just got up and had breakfast. I take it then that you can't boot from the cd? If you can, use the reformat utility in the Mandrake set up program. If not, I always use fdisk. You should use what your comfortable with. Any partitioning software should work. I'm not familiar with Blaster, but it seems strange that it won't let you just redo the linux partition. Maybe like fdisk it doesn't see it. What I do is make that partition an extended DOS partition with fdisk and then reformat it with the Linux set up utility. I think your right though, when you reinstalled the last time it sounds like you never got to the bootloader installation. I'm probably too late but I hope this helps.

I tried fdisk last night, but it wouldn't let me do anything with it. It said it was already an extended dos partition and it wouldn't delete the logical drive on that partition, though I tried it several times. :shrug:

Anyway I just thought I'd try it again as one last passing shot before I did anything drastic and would you believe it, it actually allowed me to delete the logiical drive on the extended dos partition!

After that I booted with the linux boot disc and have just completed re-installing linux, have rebooted a couple of times into linux and into windows and everything now appears to be working OK.

That however still leaves me wondering why it couldn't find the init file initially and why the hell it wouldn't co-operate last night? :confused:

But at least I don't have to re-install Me now as well.

I think it was looking for the LILO init file which got erased but not rewritten when you had your stalled reinstall last night. Just guessing, but it makes sense to me. :shrug:

No, this was the reason I decided to re-install in the first place... the bootloader was fine then but as linux began booting up on the screen where it tells what it's doing, about half a dozen lines down it told me it couldn't find the init file... :shrug:

is that the mount screen?

Don't know, Aunty. I'd have to watch it myself, and then I still might not know. I'm hardly and expert. I think my next certification (after I finally take the A+ sometime next month) will be Linux+. Wish me luck.

Of course we now know that L 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 ....... ad infinitum means:

"The bootloader's missing you wally!"

Back