URL's that I can access and one's I can't...

ClaireBear

Banned
Many of you may know that I was briefly locked out of OTC because of the damn blocker on my work's server (Ha! They think I should work not surf the net... the fools!) but my good friend Gato got me back in by giving me a URL that instead of www. etc etc has http:// lots of numbers...

How come one lets me in and one doesn't?

Whats the difference?

And does any one have one for PiL... I've been locked out of there since November?!!!!

Try to be kind though.. and don't be too technical.... I'm a Bear of very little brain...

Oh... and although I know its not the case after seeing another one of these number ones on the Lemmings game (to which I'm now addicted! :D ) I kinda thought that it was magic... and Gato.. was like.. .well... I'm about as technical as a quill pen... :blush: :blush:

And... thanks for the information, advice and help... in advance! :hug:

chcr

Too cute for words
How come one lets me in and one doesn't?

Cheap firewall and/or bad administration. Here, the average employee can only get to sites directly related to the business. They have to submit new sites by e-mail and must give a compelling reason why it needs to be added. Of course, none of this applies to the system administrator (I hear he's a tyrant, but I kinda like him). ;)

When I ping PiL, I get timed out. I'll have to let you know when I get more time to play with it.

ClaireBear

Banned
chcr said:
Cheap firewall and/or bad administration. Here, the average employee cna only get to sites directly related to the business. They have to submit new sites by e-mail and must give a compelling reason why it needs to be added. Of course, none of this applies to the system administrator (I hear he's a tyrant, but I kinda like him). ;)

When I ping PiL, I get timed out. I'll have to let you know when I get more time to play with it.

Thanks chcr!

Em... :blush: what does "ping" mean?

Oh and...Maybe I should add that the only difference between my current site and the old one is that the smilie gif logo at the top doesn't appear now... :shrug:

Could that be why... a "firewall" set to look out for smilies?

I really really really don't know how this stuff works! :blush:

chcr

Too cute for words
I don't know about the smilies. I wouldn't know how to do it. Oh, and the url is the www.whatever, the numbers are the IP address. Ping (packet inter-netwroking groper or some such) is basically a tool for seeing if you're connected. A side effect of pinging a URL is that the IP address is shown, making it easy to find (usually). You get to a command prompt and type ping www .whoever .com. (without the spaces).

ClaireBear

Banned
chcr said:
I don't know about the smilies. I wouldn't know how to do it. Oh, and the url is the www.whatever, the numbers are the IP address. Ping (packet inter-netwroking groper or some such) is basically a tool for seeing if you're connected. A side effect of pinging a URL is that the IP address is shown, making it easy to find (usually). You get to a command prompt and type ping www .whoever .com. (without the spaces).

Well I kinda got that... so pinging is the same in computing as it is on USSR submarines... you're looking for other subs (or in this case web connections) out in the ocean (or rather cyber space).... Yes? :grinyes:

MrBishop

ClaireBear said:
So is that good or bad? :confused:
Well...if you want to see Mir's portfolio..that'd be a good thing. If you actually want to post on PiL... that IP addy would be about as useful as tits on a bull. :shrug:

chcr

Too cute for words
MrBishop said:
In this case...pinging PiL gives you an IP addy which leads you to Mir's site...weird. :D

Did it time you out too?

Actually, Claire, I hardly ever ping a web address. I mostly use it to make sure a computer on our network is connected when someone tells me it's not working.

MrBishop

chcr said:
Did it time you out too?
Pinging otcentral.com [64.235.243.33] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 64.235.243.33: bytes=32 time=199ms TTL=48
Reply from 64.235.243.33: bytes=32 time=189ms TTL=48
Reply from 64.235.243.33: bytes=32 time=192ms TTL=48
Reply from 64.235.243.33: bytes=32 time=187ms TTL=48
Ping statistics for 64.235.243.33:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 187ms, Maximum = 199ms, Average = 191ms

C:\WINDOWS>ping www.playingitloud.com
Pinging www.playingitloud.com [24.248.156.100] with 32 bytes
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 24.248.156.100:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
C:\WINDOWS>

ClaireBear

Banned
greenfreak said:
Where do you work?

I can go wherever I want because I am a domain admin. *evil laugh* :p

I work for a college... they have a pretty good "firewall" (new term of the week... use it three times and its yours!) because of students abusing the internet...

I really dislike all IT people... blocking me from my sites! :D :D :D

greenfreak

Apparently, all IT people dislike you too. :D

Just having a firewall isn't enough, you actually have to configure it too. Sounds like they're not finding the loopholes allowing you access. But they most likely have logs of all the websites you're visiting anyway, so it may just be a matter of time.

So tell me, you really blame these people for trying to ensure you get paid for doing work instead of surfing the net?

ClaireBear

Banned
greenfreak said:
So tell me, you really blame these people for trying to ensure you get paid for doing work instead of surfing the net?

Yes! considering the fact that if you enter their office they're all messing about on it too... and/or playing games!!!!!!!

Plus the fact that I can play on the internet, post on 2 forums, search on google, play Lemmings AND do my job way above standard!!! I don't get holidays... they owe me really! :D

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
ClaireBear said:
Yes! considering the fact that if you enter their office they're all messing about on it too... and/or playing games!!!!!!!

Plus the fact that I can play on the internet, post on 2 forums, search on google, play Lemmings AND do my job way above standard!!! I don't get holidays... they owe me really! :D

What an inspiration. A force to be reckoned with. A do-er of deeds that inspires us to the next level.

Work, or quit.

ClaireBear

Banned
Gonz said:
What an inspiration. A force to be reckoned with. A do-er of deeds that inspires us to the next level.

Work, or quit.

As the old Mars bar advert over here says... "work rest and play"

I think OTC fits into all three categories! :shrug:

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Ok, I don't think anyone really answered why, so here goes.

Every computer on the internet has an IP address. This includes any servers that are storing the information you want, such as this forum. There are also computers out there called DNS's. A DNS is a Domain Name Server. What it does is takes the address you type in the address bar and translates it to the IP address that is assigned to it. Such as here. I type www.otcentral.com The request goes to the DNS for the IP address. Once you have a corresponding IP address, then you can access the page. You can type the IP in directly and bypass the DNS completely if you wish, which is what you are doing when you come here.

The reason for all this is simple. Would you rather go to www.google.com or 64.233.167.147? They both will take you to the same place, but google is much easier for the brain to wrap around.