Vacuum cleaners and steam cleaners

JJR512

I'm soon going to need to buy both a vacuum cleaner and a carpet steam cleaner. I'm looking for some suggestions on brands/models to look into, or to avoid. Cleaning ability is definitely a higher priority than price.

BlurOfSerenity

when jay and i moved rooms at the house, (from a hardwood-floored room to a carpeted one that has been occupied by someone who smoked heavily and raised rats for snakefood) we rented a rug doctor from giant, and that thing is amazing. we had to go over the carpet 3-4 times, but we went from getting completely black water out of the carpet to getting nearly clear water.

not really an answer to your actual question... unfortunately i have nothing to reccomend... but in a pinch and as a short-term solution, the rug doctor was pretty awesome.

JJR512

I've used the Rug Dr., and was not overly impressed. It sucked up dirty water for a while, and eventually, the water got clearer, but when we were done with one area, that area we had cleaned didn't really look any different from a neighboring uncleaned area. It was also useless against old stains. Since probably the best way to deal with old stains is to prevent them from becoming old stains by attacking them as they happen, we feel it will be best for us to invest in one to have on hand standing by. You saw the carpets in our last apartment...

chcr

Too cute for words
Well, we have a central vac and a Roomba, but we use a Hoover Steam n' Vac to clean carpet. It does a fair job.

Inkara1

They've been advertising the hell out of the home version of the Rug Doctor lately, including all sorts of magic formulas for getting stuff out of carpets.

For spot cleaning, the best stuff around is called Folex. It works better than anything else I've ever tried. Spray it on the spot, even one that's been there for a while, let it soak for a few minutes, and then rub it (I usually used a paper towel but a washcloth is probably better). On occasion, it might need a second helping.

loon_B4ll00N

Bissell Super Green Clean Machine wit Turbo Brush (Actually, I don't know what the real name is, but that's what I call it. )

It werks good with the proprietary soap, or with a touch of dish soap, or with Castrol Super Clean!

As for vacuum cleaners? An old, old Electrolux canister is the best. Go to a goodwill store or blue hanger, and try to find one. Re-build it if you have to - they're amazing! I sold ours when we moved from NY for 5 bucks at a moving sale, and have been kicking myself in the teeth ever since - there just is no match for the ol' bullet-shaped relic... *I've spent HUNDREDS on trying to find replacements...*

Mirlyn

We have a Dyson DC14 Complete and a Hoover Steamvac.

I was quite skeptical, but the Dyson is a winner. We've used it for remodeling, cars, garages, and it still picks up everything like day 1. Big points for it.

The Steamvac does pretty well too. The attachments kind of stink, but that could be user error. It does great on carpet by itself.

Inkara1

I've got a basic $150 Kenmore canister that works pretty well... but I also dont' vacuum as often as I probably should. I could've gotten a cheaper one for under $100, but the cheap ones use suction to drive the carpet beater instead of a separate motor. Boo. Hiss. Mine's a canister because I don't like uprights so much.

Inkara1

As for that Hoover Steamvac... my parents have something similar. When I still had the Honda and was still married, the food trash she kept leaving in the car made mold grow on the carpet. The parents' Hoover removed it and made the carpet quit stinking... and that was using the handheld attachment.

Mirlyn

As for that Hoover Steamvac... my parents have something similar. When I still had the Honda and was still married, the food trash she kept leaving in the car made mold grow on the carpet. The parents' Hoover removed it and made the carpet quit stinking... and that was using the handheld attachment.

Yeah, they do pretty darn well on the grime found in floormats and floorboards, but I can't master them on the furniture. 'Course one of our rooms is a tan microfiber couch and loveseat, so the water just rolls off to begin with.

It's sometimes difficult getting the water back out using the attachments, depending on what it is. Floormats have a rubber backing so it keeps the water easily "suckable" whereas furniture is foam that may be wicking it deeper in.

My attachments observation may not be limited to the Hoover, it may just be the nature of steam vacs and furniture. YMMV. :shrug:

Inkara1

Have you tried lifting up the entire steam vac onto the couch and seeing if you can get water to come back like it does on the carpet?

BlurOfSerenity

isnt there a little carpet-stain remover now, where you just set it on the stain and it kind of spins and works on it, and voila? kind of like a little spinny roomba for stains?

chcr

Too cute for words
Second on the Folex. That's all I ever use on the pet spots (after the enzyme stuff for the smell of course. I should probably mention that we don't have carpet in any high traffic areas though.

Mirlyn

Have you tried lifting up the entire steam vac onto the couch and seeing if you can get water to come back like it does on the carpet?

That just seems awkward with the tanks, but I thought about it.

No, I will not post pics.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Never heard of it. Where can I find out more (or should I ask a leprechaun :D)?

Ran a google search...

linky

They do not use a bag; instead the dirt gets sucked into a container of water. Wet dirt cannot fly. They will never emit one particle of dust when they run. When yer done, you dump the water and voila.