Vacuum Sealing!

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
OMG! Has anyone ever tried this?! I just sealed two regular pillows + a body pillow and it's just slightly larger than a regualr pillow! It's about 33% or less of its' original size.

Inkara1

I have a food vacuum sealer and the steaks get freezer burned just the same as in a ziploc bag.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I'm only using it to make my things smaller to ship. They're just bags with a one way valve, I actually use a vacuum to suck the air out.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Your freezer isn't cold enough &/or there's too much moisture in the bag.

Or his sealer isn't sealing properly. My 'Foodsaver' works great. Nothing better to keep fish 'fresh from the pond' fresh.

Suggestion to Inky...don't buy knock-off brands, or buy the 'roll'. If your steak has sharp-edged bone, you may want to trim that before bagging as well. ;)

Inkara1

Mine's the foodsaver brand as well, and I don't buy bone-in steaks. The "roll" might be the problem... I cut it to length, seal off the one end, put the meat in, clean around the edge and then seal off the other end. It always seems to me like it seals off the bag too soon, before all the air bubbles are out of the blood it sucks out of the steak and toward the seal. The only moisture in the bag is whatever moisture is in the meat.

Gato_Solo

Mine's the foodsaver brand as well, and I don't buy bone-in steaks. The "roll" might be the problem... I cut it to length, seal off the one end, put the meat in, clean around the edge and then seal off the other end. It always seems to me like it seals off the bag too soon, before all the air bubbles are out of the blood it sucks out of the steak and toward the seal. The only moisture in the bag is whatever moisture is in the meat.

This is kinda wasteful, but don't trim the bag to length until after its sealed. That extra 2 inches you 'waste' aren't really wasted. If you want to be sure, you just fold that over and seal it again in a 'higher' spot. I found that out pretty quick. It was a good sized fish, too...

unclehobart

We were thinking of using said system to deep store winter coats and comforters... eventually. At least it would keep the cats off of it all.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I am excited to do the rest...I am deciding what I can live without for 2 weeks so I can seal it now :D

Inkara1

This is kinda wasteful, but don't trim the bag to length until after its sealed. That extra 2 inches you 'waste' aren't really wasted. If you want to be sure, you just fold that over and seal it again in a 'higher' spot. I found that out pretty quick. It was a good sized fish, too...

So how does that work? As I'm visualizing it, I'd have to seal the one end of the roll, unroll the entire rest of it, drop the meat in the other end, all the way to the seal on the other end, and then figure out a way to get the other side sealed. Or, sopmehow crumpling up the bag to fit 8 or 10 inches of it into the inside of the sealer area, seal the other end, then pull it back out, put the meat in,a nd seal the open end, then cut the bag off from the rest of the roll, which is pretty much a harder way to do it how I alreayd do it.

By "trim to length," I don't mean an exact length... I mean I cut off 8 or 10 inches from the roll, which is still a lot of bag material but isn't the entire roll.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Inky, you seal one end and then cut off a bunch from the roll, but more than you need. Seal it once near the item and then before cutting off the excess seal it AGAIN a couple inches out from the first seal. That way you have two seals on each side

Inkara1

I can try two seals per side, but I think the problem is that it hasn't sucked all the air out yet before it seals it off.

Gato_Solo

I can try two seals per side, but I think the problem is that it hasn't sucked all the air out yet before it seals it off.

Is the bag tight around the meat? If its not, then its not getting all the air out, and you need to adjust the time spent on the vacuuming portion of the sequence. My guess is that you're stopping it before its done. Don't worry about any liquids getting into the vacuum chamber.

Inkara1

Is the bag tight around the meat? If its not, then its not getting all the air out, and you need to adjust the time spent on the vacuuming portion of the sequence. My guess is that you're stopping it before its done. Don't worry about any liquids getting into the vacuum chamber.

It stops itself automatically. I can't adjust the time it spends sucking... it's supposed to do that automatically. It makes a noise while it's sucking, then the noise gets audibly higher-pitched, sort of like how fan blades spin a lot faster if you cut off the air source, and after a second or so of that it seals it off.